MTB cycling

I just tossed some 27.5x2.2 on my 29 ebike. Going to hit the dirt with it this weekend. Rode it around the the hood a bit, totally digging it. Funny thing I went from 26 bikes to 29ers, and skipped the whole 27.5 thing. Been riding some real technical winding trails, so hoping the 27.5's will help.

Last edited:
I just tossed some 27.5x2.2 on my 29 ebike. Going to hit the dirt with it this weekend. Rode it around the the hood a bit, totally digging it. Funny thing I went from 26 bikes to 29ers, and skipped the whole 27.5 thing. Been riding some real technical winding trails, so hoping the 27.5's will help.
View attachment 112809
I find I like the 27.5 a lot. I have two 29'er's and they are cool, but the center of gravity on the 27.5 feels great. Plus I have a little less worry about the rims folding. 29's have some long ass spokes. :LOL:

Anyone try 27.5+ ? I've got some 2.8" tires coming
I'm not a fan of the wide tires. I took off the 2.4's on my PK and replaced them with 2.0. The rims are tubeless and it was a fucking bitch to remove the old tires AND to seat the new ones. Took a good hour for each wheel between removing and replacing. My hands were killing me. I hope to go I don't ever get a flat.... I was regretting not using the tubes that have the flat shit already inside. :LOL:

Alright went ridin' dirty with the new 27.5's. It has it's ups, and downs.

Pros: Far more maneuverable, agile. More playful maybe? Made me want to be out of the saddle more, where on 29 I feel better planted in the saddle. I also tapped the breaks far less zipping through turns.

Cons: Pedal strikes, not as fast (except in turns). There were some features I didn't feel comfortable rolling over/through that I wouldn't think twice on my 29's

IMG_20220326_174810164 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
I find I like the 27.5 a lot. I have two 29'er's and they are cool, but the center of gravity on the 27.5 feels great. Plus I have a little less worry about the rims folding. 29's have some long ass spokes. :LOL:

Yeah, I hear ya on the rims folding, I have 40 spokes on my 29 wheels. Little heavier but, I've never taco'ed them, and I've abused the hell out of them.

I'm not a fan of the wide tires. I took off the 2.4's on my PK and replaced them with 2.0. The rims are tubeless and it was a fucking bitch to remove the old tires AND to seat the new ones. Took a good hour for each wheel between removing and replacing. My hands were killing me. I hope to go I don't ever get a flat.... I was regretting not using the tubes that have the flat shit already inside. :LOL:

I'm not usually into wide either, but I'm open to trying stuff.

So the trick to getting them on, get the bead in the center (valley) of the rim, that way you have more play getting the other side over the rim.

If you're having trouble seating the new bead, remove your tubeless stem, and pop in a tube. Air it up to set the bead, then you pop the bead off one side, remove the tube, now you only have one bead to pop back in. So much easier, plus the installing the tube once, helps form the tire after its been all folded up.

I'm not usually into wide either, but I'm open to trying stuff.

So the trick to getting them on, get the bead in the center (valley) of the rim, that way you have more play getting the other side over the rim.

If you're having trouble seating the new bead, remove your tubeless stem, and pop in a tube. Air it up to set the bead, then you pop the bead off one side, remove the tube, now you only have one bead to pop back in. So much easier, plus the installing the tube once, helps form the tire after its been all folded up.
Yeah, I was using the center bead… and a big clamp to unseat the beads, but it is still a bitch. 🤣

I actually use tubes with my tubeless rims/tires. Even then it was a bitch to seat. I was using soapy water and my compressor filled with 100psi to quickly air up. I had to remove the air at least 5 times to finally get the beads seated. Fun times. 🤣

Pros: Far more maneuverable, agile. More playful maybe? Made me want to be out of the saddle more, where on 29 I feel better planted in the saddle. I also tapped the breaks far less zipping through turns.

Cons: Pedal strikes, not as fast (except in turns). There were some features I didn't feel comfortable rolling over/through that I wouldn't think twice on my 29's

View attachment 113176View attachment 113173
It’s amazing how different and inch and a half makes. I’m sure my wife thinks so a well. 🤣. Seriously though, it’s why I have more than one bike…but if I only had time to grab one, it’s my 27.5 without hesitation.

It’s amazing how different and inch and a half makes. I’m sure my wife thinks so a well. 🤣. Seriously though, it’s why I have more than one bike…but if I only had time to grab one, it’s my 27.5 without hesitation.
:ROFLMAO:

True, and in reality it's only 0.75 difference from the axle. It's crazy what a difference 5mm makes on a stem. Hell I changed my fork travel by 10mm, and had to go back because I hated the steering at lower speed.

Anyone try 27.5+ ? I've got some 2.8" tires coming
I rode them extensively over a couple of year period. When I took my bike back to the east coast where the trails are relatively technical and the speeds are slower, they excelled...gripped everywhere on every surface and it was an amazing experience. Out here in OR, the hills are longer and the DH sections are MUCH faster, the balance between tire pressure, sidewall rigidity and performance just isn't there at faster speeds. I tried Panaracer Fat-B-Nimbles and they're entirely too flimsy for me, especially at high speeds. They needed over 25psi to stay predictable in corners and at that pressure, you lose all the benefits of the extra volume on the slower chunky stuff. I tried Maxxis DHR/HRII combo and they were better, but at over 17psi for me, they got too bouncy and still didn't hold up in corners. I tried Maxxis Chronicles as well with the same results.

I'd say that if your trails are slow to medium speeds, plus tires can be amazing. They're just not great everywhere. I've settled on 2.5" DH tires with slow rebound rubber (Maxxis Maxx Grip) and CushCore inserts for my usage and it's perfect, but it's not for everyone everywhere.

just tried 27.5 + and I love them on the hardtail. This thing can dive into corners and the ride is better on my ass.

Attachments

• 91FAF503-BFC4-4DDC-A8A9-EB990E74C4CB.jpeg
    91FAF503-BFC4-4DDC-A8A9-EB990E74C4CB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:
just tried 27.5 + and I love them on the hardtail. This thing can dive into corners and the ride is better on my ass.
Nice!

Yeah I just tried 27.5 x 2.8 and it monster trucks over everything, roll over curbs without feeling it LOL.

I ended up doing 2.6 because the 2.8s felt little too slow, and with full suspension just don't need it. the 2.6s feel freaking perfect, and still fast! Actually faster than the 2.2s that were on it.

View attachment 113176View attachment 113173
Maybe go for a mullet setup?

Maybe go for a mullet setup?
I might try that out. If I have the 27.5 2.8 in the back, and a 29 2.4 in the front? I think I have a 29 2.4 tire in my tire pile, just have to dig through it.

Or what If I did 27.5 plus in the front, and regular 27.5 2.2 in the back?

I might try that out. If I have the 27.5 2.8 in the back, and a 29 2.4 in the front? I think I have a 29 2.4 tire in my tire pile, just have to dig through it.

Or what If I did 27.5 plus in the front, and regular 27.5 2.2 in the back?

I run a 2.4 up front and a 2.2 out back on my 27.5" HT. Perfect for XC rippage 'round these parts...but yea, lots of shredders are going with the mullet for maximum grind.

Back