My God...This Tone!!!

angelspade

I'm sure there's been more than a few Sykes threads around here over the years....But I just heard this isolated track for the first time tonight. Obviously the playing is amazing...But the tones are just outrageous. And the high gain rhythm tones sound surprisingly current. The middle section at 3:58 is just so crunchy and thick in all the right ways.

Maybe it’s just me but that track and album have so much cockiness to it in a good way. From the playing to the tone. You gotta be a special dude to slave two 180 watt amps together then quad track everything on top of it. Wish there were more of these iso tracks out there from this album.
Side note, the iso solo might be one of the biggest hunks of shit that somehow worked out ever recorded lol.

This is a super cool track - and a great example of how much the full mix can color what our ears ‘hear’ as the guitar tone. In the full mix, with the kick drum and bass guitar, my ears attribute much more low end ‘thump’ to the guitars than heard in this iso-track.

I'm sure there's been more than a few Sykes threads around here over the years....But I just heard this isolated track for the first time tonight. Obviously the playing is amazing...But the tones are just outrageous. And the high gain rhythm tones sound surprisingly current. The middle section at 3:58 is just so crunchy and thick in all the right ways.

According the rumors Sykes played this with

Mesa Boogie Mark lll Coliseum​

Reactions: ccn
Maybe it’s just me but that track and album have so much cockiness to it in a good way. From the playing to the tone. You gotta be a special dude to slave two 180 watt amps together then quad track everything on top of it. Wish there were more of these iso tracks out there from this album.
Side note, the iso solo might be one of the biggest hunks of shit that somehow worked out ever recorded lol.
Swagger and attitude in spades....

It's not my favorite tone but it is glorious and massive. That album doesn't work without Sykes and without this sound. Hated that the solo on this tune is buried in the final mix, never understood that.

Also, listen closely and you can hear Sykes working the volume knob (off/on) throughout the heavy parts of the song during the breaks i.e. to heck with a noise gate. Clean tones are fantastic as well.

I'll say this, I saw Sykes with Whitesnake on the Slide it In Tour and they killed, in fact as much as I love Vandenberg and Campbell, that live version of the band wasn't on par with how Sykes sounded live. Lucky for me those are three of my all time fav guitarists. '87 was a special album as was the first Blue Murder album.

It's not my favorite tone but it is glorious and massive. That album doesn't work without Sykes and without this sound. Hated that the solo on this tune is buried in the final mix, never understood that.

Also, listen closely and you can hear Sykes working the volume knob (off/on) throughout the heavy parts of the song during the breaks i.e. to heck with a noise gate. Clean tones are fantastic as well.

I'll say this, I saw Sykes with Whitesnake on the Slide it In Tour and they killed, in fact as much as I love Vandenberg and Campbell, that live version of the band wasn't on par with how Sykes sounded live. Lucky for me those are three of my all time fav guitarists. '87 was a special album as was the first Blue Murder album.
He used the Shaw era Dirty Fingers pickup; I have a few and they are super prone to feeding back as they are not wax potted. Hence his constant vol control play…you really see it in that live vid from Rio in 85.

He used the Shaw era Dirty Fingers pickup; I have a few and they are super prone to feeding back as they are not wax potted. Hence his constant vol control play…you really see it in that live vid from Rio in 85.
Yep. Love it. Saw that tour live, they were opening for Quiet Riot.
Also something I've done since the 80's to control noise and feedback as well. Still do to this day as I've never used a gate. Why I always get a chuckle out of people that struggle finding the right gate, just use your volume knob and a mute (tuner) switch.

Zakk Wylde in an interview looking back on No Rest for the Wicked, said that they recorded the whole record with the first producer. He said, the tone was really weak and the mix was more AOR. He recorded that version with the Lee Jackson Metaltronix stuff. He complained to Ozzy that it wasn't heavy enough. Ozzy said, tell him. He said, that he went to the producer and said, we need to redo some parts. The producer said, which ones? Zakk said, all of them. The producer threw his stuff down and walked out. They fired him.

They then went to Keith Olsen, who had just come off of Whitesnake. Zakk said that he played him, Dokken Under Lock and Key, Ratt Invasion and TNT Tell No Tales and said, this is the sound I want. Keith pulled out a JCM 800 combo and said, this is what I recorded John Sykes on, this is the same setup. So he retracked the entire record and that is what you hear on it. I always assumed it was the Mesa, but perhaps it's multi tracked with the 800 to give it more high end sizzle.

You can tell they still kept some of the Lee Jackson tracks, Crazy Babies being one of them, as the tone is a little different.

Zakk Wylde in an interview looking back on No Rest for the Wicked, said that they recorded the whole record with the first producer. He said, the tone was really weak and the mix was more AOR. He recorded that version with the Lee Jackson Metaltronix stuff. He complained to Ozzy that it wasn't heavy enough. Ozzy said, tell him. He said, that he went to the producer and said, we need to redo some parts. The producer said, which ones? Zakk said, all of them. The producer threw his stuff down and walked out. They fired him.

They then went to Keith Olsen, who had just come off of Whitesnake. Zakk said that he played him, Dokken Under Lock and Key, Ratt Invasion and TNT Tell No Tales and said, this is the sound I want. Keith pulled out a JCM 800 combo and said, this is what I recorded John Sykes on, this is the same setup. So he retracked the entire record and that is what you hear on it. I always assumed it was the Mesa, but perhaps it's multi tracked with the 800 to give it more high end sizzle.

You can tell they still kept some of the Lee Jackson tracks, Crazy Babies being one of them, as the tone is a little different.
Nope...Mesa Mark Coliseum and a touch of Jose mod Marshall is my understanding.

Nope...Mesa Mark Coliseum and a touch of Jose mod Marshall is my understanding.
The photo at 5:55 of the video you posted is the amp that Zakk was talking about. He said it was an 800 combo. It's the reason he switched to 800's. I'm not saying that there isn't a Mesa in there, but seems there is more to the story.

From Guitar World https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/zakk-wylde-and-ozzy-osbourne-revisit-1988s-no-rest-wicked

Olsen also saved Wylde’s guitar tone. At Enterprise Studios, Wylde, who had tracked his parts using Lee Jackson Metaltronix amps, had been frustrated with his overall sound. At Goodnight L.A., he recalls, “I was talking to Keith about what I wanted from my tone, and I played him TNT’s ‘10,000 Lovers (In One).’ I was like, ‘Listen to Ronni Le Tekro’s fucking guitar!’ I had the Grail [Wylde’s 1981 original bull’s-eye Les Paul, with EMG 81 and 85 pickups], and Keith said to me, ‘All right, Zakk, plug into this.’ And it was a [Marshall] JCM 800 combo amp—the same one John Sykes used on the Whitesnake record [which Olsen co-produced]. We ran a line out to a Marshall 4x12 cab, I threw in my Boss SD-1 [Super OverDrive] and double-tracked everything. It sounded huge, and that was it.” For Wylde, distinguishing himself from the heavy metal pack on what would be his recorded debut meant not only nailing the perfect tone but also finding his own voice when it came to the actual playing. He achieved this on his solos through a process of elimination.

Back