My God...This Tone!!!

I’m not sure I’d trust much of what Olesen said about the 87 album, he’s said a lot of stuff that’s pretty obviously not true, like Dan Huff redoing tracks. As for the Marshall’s there’s three stories I’ve heard thus far, first is he used a Jose, second the above jcm800 combo, and lastly a metal panel superlead or superbass. Sounds like a Jose without diodes to me.

I’m not sure I’d trust much of what Olesen said about the 87 album, he’s said a lot of stuff that’s pretty obviously not true, like Dan Huff redoing tracks. As for the Marshall’s there’s three stories I’ve heard thus far, first is he used a Jose, second the above jcm800 combo, and lastly a metal panel superlead or superbass. Sounds like a Jose without diodes to me.
Agreed on Olsen, I've read alot of things he's said that's pretty questionable. The Huff story being one of them. Good producer though.

Pretty much common knowledge that Sykes gear was the Mark III for that album w/ some Marshalls.

Last edited:
What was he using during the first Blue Murder tour?
Believe it was iic or mark 3 in the states, 800’s in Japan (judging from the Marshall’s near the stage), then came the Bradshaw racks with recto’s I think. Unless he got preproduction ones as those would have been out around 91ish.

Zakk Wylde in an interview looking back on No Rest for the Wicked, said that they recorded the whole record with the first producer. He said, the tone was really weak and the mix was more AOR. He recorded that version with the Lee Jackson Metaltronix stuff. He complained to Ozzy that it wasn't heavy enough. Ozzy said, tell him. He said, that he went to the producer and said, we need to redo some parts. The producer said, which ones? Zakk said, all of them. The producer threw his stuff down and walked out. They fired him.

They then went to Keith Olsen, who had just come off of Whitesnake. Zakk said that he played him, Dokken Under Lock and Key, Ratt Invasion and TNT Tell No Tales and said, this is the sound I want. Keith pulled out a JCM 800 combo and said, this is what I recorded John Sykes on, this is the same setup. So he retracked the entire record and that is what you hear on it. I always assumed it was the Mesa, but perhaps it's multi tracked with the 800 to give it more high end sizzle.

You can tell they still kept some of the Lee Jackson tracks, Crazy Babies being one of them, as the tone is a little different.
One added detail was that it was a jcm800 combo tracked through a 4x12 cabinet that was recorded. To this day no one knows what speakers were in the cabinet. I have a feeling it was old school 75’s but could have been greenbacks. I wish I knew what was in the cabinet

The sad thing is...where is this mother******?

One of the baddest dudes to sling a guitar and he's MIA for how long now?

Ain't any of us getting younger.

There was a radio version of "Here I go Again" where some of the guitars were redone (solo AFAIK) and some keyboards added that Huff did.
I HATED that fucking version

Last edited:
I'm sure there's been more than a few Sykes threads around here over the years....But I just heard this isolated track for the first time tonight. Obviously the playing is amazing...But the tones are just outrageous. And the high gain rhythm tones sound surprisingly current. The middle section at 3:58 is just so crunchy and thick in all the right ways.

@0:25 all these years and I never heard that difference in the the first riff of that inbetween the verse’s section.

The sad thing is...where is this mother******?

One of the baddest dudes to sling a guitar and he's MIA for how long now?

Ain't any of us getting younger.
He released two singles in 2021 & teased a new album coming soon. Basically radio silence since August 2021

I’ll be the odd man out and say I much prefer his playing and tone on Lizzy’s Thunder and Lightning to this Whitesnake stuff. Great guitar player, no doubt.

I love early Whitesnake before Coverdale decided to change his style.

I’ll be the odd man out and say I much prefer his playing and tone on Lizzy’s Thunder and Lightning to this Whitesnake stuff. Great guitar player, no doubt.

I love early Whitesnake before Coverdale decided to change his style.
Being a Lizzy fanatic I like them both. Lizzy went out on a high note with Thunder and Lightning. Perhaps if John had joined sooner instead of Snowy they may have been able to stick around. Although I do like the Chinatown album with Snowy.

Granted Phil was down the tubes with the drug use but that whole period of where he wasn't in Lizzy doing the other projects I think did him in sooner, the guys basically lived for Lizzy.

Being a Lizzy fanatic I like them both. Lizzy went out on a high note with Thunder and Lightning. Perhaps if John had joined sooner instead of Snowy they may have been able to stick around. Although I do like the Chinatown album with Snowy.

Granted Phil was down the tubes with the drug use but that whole period of where he wasn't in Lizzy doing the other projects I think did him in sooner, the guys basically lived for Lizzy.
Imagine “Angel of Death” with Sykes!! I love Snowy, but that song could have benefited from Sykes aggression.

Renegade had its moments.

Back