My new TOL 50

JohnGorbe

Hi, everyone. I just purchased a TOL 50 and used it on 2 jobs so far - inside and outside and it worked fantastic. I'm still tweaking and learning what is most efficient while on a gig with regards to using overdrive pedals on my board or switch to channel 2. The boost switch seems like TOO much boost so I find I'm riding my guitar volume a bit for soloing. Is there a way t control the amount of boost? The clean headroom is awesome! I previously had a tweaker 15 combo but I needed more headroom. I wanted to stay with the Egnater camp because I loved the Tweaker so much. I'm running the TOL 50 through a Randall RSC2 column cab with 2 12" Carvin (Eminence) British 100's. I'm loving the sound and can't wait till my next job! Anyone else have experience with a TOL 50?

John

I have the 212 combo and a head. Great, great sounds from both. I have just let go of my MOD50, since the TOL´s are much closer to what I want from an amp. I did a mod on mine to lessen the volume jump from boosting on ch. 1, so now it is like a 4 channel amp (well, the overall volume stays the same).
I used to own a IE4 preamp, which is closer to the TOL100, or at least that is the rumour. The TOL is way better for me,
since the clean channel is more of a low-gain version of channel 2. The preamp was more fendery and did not have the same punch/crunch as the TOL.
I am glad to see that others like this (it is not mentioned often on forums).
Enjoy yours!
Kristian

Kristian - How did you perform the mod to lower the boost? Is it more functional now? After much more time spent with the TOL 50 it is the only function that I can't use. I since added a matching 2x12 cab and it's a fuller sound. I know there are plenty of discussions out here with pro's and con's for a 4x12 or 2 2x12's but I like my rig jus tfine with the 2 cabs. Plus I can use just one cab if I need to and make it lighter :)

The mod is a bit tricky to explain in detail, but the basic principle is simple. I just inserted a variable resistor between the master volume (ch.1) and ground, via a relay that gets triggered by the boost switching circuit.
Take a look at the bottom drawing here:
https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc18 ... st-1-1.jpg
It wasn´t as simple as swapping a resistor, but it works like a charm. It does not change the gain bump or the tone (spot-on in my opinion), it only simulates turning the master volume up a tad when the boost is off.
You can get the same effect by putting an eq/volume boost in the fx loop.
The second channel just saturates even more with the boost on, so there is no need for any adjustments there, I think.
Cheers,
Kristian

Back