My opinions on gear at NAMM

I thought Marshall hired Santiago back, and some things were in the works?? NOTHING at this year's NAMM got my attention except for the ESP Horizon Custom '87. I also dug the MIJ Charvel So-Cal. Other than that, pretty dismal if you ask me.

I'm only seeing what trickled it's way onto YouTube... but man this year's NAMM is a total snooze from my armchair.

Reactions: rsm
^ I have a bad feeling that is going to be the new trend. I hope I'm wrong.

I thought Marshall hired Santiago back,
That's what thought as well.

I really wish they would listen to the community and build something exciting. I know you liked the SC20 was it? Not sure if there has been anything worth it since :dunno:

^ I have a bad feeling that is going to be the new trend. I hope I'm wrong.

That's what thought as well.

I really wish they would listen to the community and build something exciting. I know you liked the SC20 was it? Not sure if there has been anything worth it since :dunno:
The 2525H sounds great too. I was looking for a newer JVM possibly, or something similar. I like the 205H, the 410H is too much for my OCD. Wish they'd ditch the Vietnam shit, maybe come out with a reissue UK made DSL50 with Dagnalls and better build.

They could shit-can the whole Vietnam built shit altogether, as far as I'm concerned.

I thought Marshall hired Santiago back, and some things were in the works?? NOTHING at this year's NAMM got my attention except for the ESP Horizon Custom '87. I also dug the MIJ Charvel So-Cal. Other than that, pretty dismal if you ask me.

I’m not sure he’s still with Marshall? He’s quite active in his AMA at TheGearForum, funny dude, too.

I remember back in the day when NAMM was a destination where people made the trek and it was a party.
For me the fun was more the people then the gear- I got to talk and hang out with people I’ve looked up to for years- members of bands I listen to, youtubers etc. I even had someone I’ve been watching for 15 years on my flight back home.

I was able to try the new Engl Founder's Edition (EL34) at the Engl Booth.
Every channel was excellent! The layout of the amp is perfect.
I've owned a Savage 120 Mk2, and have an Invader 2. I was very impressed with this new model.

Here's a pic of the amp while I was waiting to play it.
Engl Founders Edition EL34 - NAMM 24 - 1.jpg

I was able to try the new Engl Founder's Edition (EL34) at the Engl Booth.
Every channel was excellent! The layout of the amp is perfect.
I've owned a Savage 120 Mk2, and have an Invader 2. I was very impressed with this new model.

Here's a pic of the amp while I was waiting to play it.View attachment 284051
Yeah, SE FE is a nice amp!! Before I got it, I was worried about the built quality(I saw some post about poor ENGL built quality) and compressed sounding. But, nothing wrong with my amp and sounds a lot better than I thought(of course they are pretty compressed side). I can't say this is my favorite. But, keeper for me.

Last edited:
Cool stuff. A few manufacturers I hadn't heard of before.... looking forward to grabbing them for bargain prices about 10 years from now when everyone forgets about them.

On a more serious note, H&K Triamp Mark 4 seems wild to me, I feel the the 3 just came out and has just about any feature anyone could ever want. I personally have been eyeing Mk 1's waiting for the right one to come up on sale to try out, and almost pulled the trigger on a Mk 1's 4x12 cab (comes with 4x UK made Greenbacks). I wonder what feature they'll add to the Mark 4 to drive up sales over the 3's.

Makes sense why I haven't seen any clips of the Soldano X88IR if it wasn't even plugged into anything. I was most excited about hearing that.

Good to know that Strandberg have come to their senses on pricing. I love my Boden Standard and it's built well and plays REALLY well but it's just not a $1800 guitar and $2500+ for the Progs still coming from the same Indonesian factory is absolute lunacy.

The $800 Schecter Indonesian SVSS I played is every bit as polished and setup as that Boden... same for the LTD's I've played.

Those Progs should be $1600 TOPS and the boden standards should be $1000~1200. I played a prog and other than a real maple top vs a veneer, there is nothing special about that compared to my Boden and made me REALLY glad I didn't buy a prog like I had originally planned. I would be livid.

Back