my PRS refin thread

vchizzle

This will be long with lots of pics of the guitar throughout the process. I picked this McCarty standard up used for $1000 with the intent of getting it refinished white. I figured it would be the most cost effective way to get the exact model I wanted in a white finish - I've seen very few McCarty's in white and only 1 McCarty standard. It was refinished by Larry Reshes out in L.A. He does fabulous work and is well respected on the PRS forum http://www.birdsandmoons.com He goes by paintguy on that forum. If you're considering a refin, I'd highly recommend him. His email is larry@colortonepaints.com
On a side note, I have have another of this same PRS in black with bird inlays so I knew I liked this model ALOT already. I bought the guitar, rehearsed with it for about 3 weeks to be sure it was a keeper tonewise. Here we go....

Stock:
4625913098_bf973e5ae8_b.jpg

rehearsal with pickup changes to Duncan Jazz neck & PRS HFS bridge:
4625914460_4717b3d732_b.jpg

stripped:
4625914530_fee8b481c6_o.jpg

sealed:
4634196510_f50a27a60f_o.jpg

The color I had him use a base to get an idea of what I was after was a Ford 2010 color called white platinum metallic tri-color. I had him use a smaller flake than the Ford color and combine with a blue cast & pearl clear coat. I told him to go from there and tweak to what he thought would be cool. He done a bunch of pearl white variations so I figured he'd have good judgement. Told him I wanted it to be more of a normal white in not bright lighting but then have the pearl and metallic look under bright lights so it would "pop" on stage...and not too over the top blingy looking. Essentially wanted it to change how it looked in different types of light.
4673127418_ced8c8cd9b_o.jpg

4673127370_ba07d1d0f6_o.jpg

Saw this on BAM and I will say it made me think about having Paintguy do one of mine. I think the Eagle on the headstock looks really good as well

I present to you..."The Polar Bear"
4789348839_2b3a08a981_b.jpg

4791310593_ac7029d32a_b.jpg

4791310593_ac7029d32a_b.jpg

4791942670_a1a74bc49a_b.jpg

Went with the Modern Eagle logo on the headstock for something a bit different than the normal sig:
4789347749_63f9e98099_b.jpg

And locking Gotoh Kluson style tuners:
4792432336_e2484f4849_b.jpg

Also had him write McCarty Model on the back of the headstock like the 1st years of the McCarty when it first came out. Always thought that looked really cool.
4795069982_533218e278_b.jpg

Death by Uberschall":1i71uoxp said:
Well that answers my question. :LOL: :LOL:
Trust me, when we saw that mahogany naked, we were both like...."SHIT!!!!" The bottom line though was that I've wanted a white guitar for about 3 years now and since I'm not rich and can only buy guitars every once in awhile I had to stick with my master plan. We kicked around the idea of translucent white, to trans white on just the top and everything you could think of. The big worry was that mahogany being a reddish colored wood and how would trans white look. Would it have looked white? Pink? Who knows, unless you just try it. But if it didn't turn out right and he had to go back, the sanding & stripping process is a pain and very time consuming. In the end, I figured - Fuck it, if PRS can cover that sweet ass wood up with black paint, then I'll have no issues making it white :LOL: :LOL: At least I know she's beautiful on the inside too :hys:

Nice job man :yes: :thumbsup: I gotta get me one of those adjustable tailpieces, those things are killer
Your guy really did a quality job on that one :rock: :rock:
BTW, I love McCarty's :D

Thanks guys. I played it at rehearsal last night and it kicked ass. I noticed no change in tone what-so-ever. I was SOOOOO weird playing a white guitar. I've never owned ANY light finished guitar in my life, much less white. Almost threw me off a bit on the first song :LOL: :LOL:

He does some crazy sweet shit. From trans bursts, to PRS metal repro's - lots of cool stuff. Search his posts over there. I'll try to throw some links up to other guitars later.

vchizzle":26j4sde5 said:
Death by Uberschall":26j4sde5 said:
Well that answers my question. :LOL: :LOL:
Trust me, when we saw that mahogany naked, we were both like...."SHIT!!!!" The bottom line though was that I've wanted a white guitar for about 3 years now and since I'm not rich and can only buy guitars every once in awhile I had to stick with my master plan. We kicked around the idea of translucent white, to trans white on just the top and everything you could think of. The big worry was that mahogany being a reddish colored wood and how would trans white look. Would it have looked white? Pink? Who knows, unless you just try it. But if it didn't turn out right and he had to go back, the sanding & stripping process is a pain and very time consuming. In the end, I figured - Fuck it, if PRS can cover that sweet ass wood up with black paint, then I'll have no issues making it white :LOL: :LOL: At least I know she's beautiful on the inside too :hys:
It's still great looking.

jmgman69":1agj5c08 said:
I bet this looks even better in person :shocked: :rock:
Yeah, it's killer in person. My pics don't probably totally do it justice. Gonna have a buddy of mine that has a kick ass camera take some pics of it for me tomorrow. It's crazy out in the sunlight. Hopefully we can capture some different lighting angles tomorrow.

I have a heavily beaten up '96 mccarty custom in caddy black
I actually love the aged look, cause it gives that 70's gibson feel, but I'm trying to sell it and PRS fans are a pain in the ass when it comes to blemished finishes
but if I was going to refinish it for myself, I'd put some creamy antique white nitro :D

would PRS sell me a logo replacement for the headstock?
mine is missing the P and the T :aww:

Back