My thoughts on the Kemper....A+

xzyryabx

I received my Kemper Stage 2 weeks ago now and now that I have had some quality time with it I have to say it's a game changer for me.
My Engl Ironball/Two Notes Torpedo setup, although pretty bad ass, is on its way out and never touching another tube amp again.
For what I need (bedroom warrior, jams with a drummer that has an electronic drum set, occasional recording), this is the overall winner over any other setup!!
Spending hours combing through profiles is a pain, but once you find a few good ones that work for the sound in your head you're good to go.
At most you have 10 settings to tweak (for amp/cab) and once you get the hang of which ones you should start off with and the order you should make adjustments then you can tweak a profile to your liking within 5 minutes. The thing is you have to start with a profile which is at least 80% there, unlike the modelers where you can morph anything into whatever you want.
No software to tweak on the PC/mac is definitely a shortfall, but that's coming soon they say.
It might not be perfect for everyone, for it's perfect for me.
:rock:

I think the Kemper and Fractal stuff is perfect for bedroom warriors (I'm one too!). With that said, I got a JJ Jr. recently with the XLR out cab emulation, and haven't touched my Fractal in weeks. With that said, those modelers kick ass for recordings.

romanianreaper":2wop0dec said:
I think the Kemper and Fractal stuff is perfect for bedroom warriors (I'm one too!). With that said, I got a JJ Jr. recently with the XLR out cab emulation, and haven't touched my Fractal in weeks. With that said, those modelers kick ass for recordings.

It works that well on the JJ?!
I tried a few amps with the direct out and it always sounded crappy...useable in a pinch but definitely crappy.
I would love to try out the Kemper for recording...but fucking Apple "keeps" making my interfaces obsolete/useless by upgrading the ports...painful spending $400 on a new interface every time I get a new laptop!
Do you need an interface with the Axe FX or can you go straight to the DAW? That's one gripe I have with the Kemper....they shoulda made it work straight into the DAW.

xzyryabx":2x8699o8 said:
It works that well on the JJ?!
I tried a few amps with the direct out and it always sounded crappy...useable in a pinch but definitely crappy.

Oh yeah man. I wasn't expecting much to be honest and was keeping an open mind. I thought "well, I'll just use it until I can afford a cab". I haven't even been craving getting a cab and I've had it for probably a month now. I just run into a small preamp via XLR and use it on my recordings.

So happy for you that you're stoked with your Kemper, man.

FWIMBW, I've found that adjusting Definition before the EQ stack is the way to go. For me, it's usually the only parameter I tweak other than tiny adjustments to Treble, Presence and when it comes to "weighty" Profiles like Michael Britt's older stuff, a slight roll-off of Bass. Done.

IOW, in most cases I don't spend more than 30 or 40 seconds tweaking.

Monkey Man":20irntfg said:

FWIMBW, I've found that adjusting Definition before the EQ stack is the way to go. For me, it's usually the only parameter I tweak other than tiny adjustments to Treble, Presence and when it comes to "weighty" Profiles like Michael Britt's older stuff, a slight roll-off of Bass. Done.

Hey Monkey man i'm still learning how to use mine... real quick how would I adjust definition with a powered toaster?

Curious why you bought that stage vs the head.

I love my power head into a Diezel 4x12 and Bogner 4x12...... In my basement!

Its been awhile since I used a Kemper but I think you hold the amp button down to get to the menu with definition. Although I could be wrong but definitely hold each of the buttons down for a few seconds to get to more options

Monkey Man":3cn7h5ti said:

Thanks!
Yeh I usually start with the "Pure Cab" and "Low Shift" in Cab section, then "Definition", "Tube Bias", "Tube Shape" in the Amp section, then the High/Presence/Mid/Bass in the EQ section. Usually in that order more or less. And that's it, but I'm still getting my head around this box!
One thing I realized though was that since each profile is a snapshot of an amp setup a certain way, tweaking the EQ doesn't react like I would expect, and it's best not to tweak too much. I find that I usually don't need to adjust more than 1 dB on the EQ, but for the other settings I find myself going more to one extreme or the other.
One thing that bothers me is the highs sometimes sound artificial/digital but I'm starting to learn how to handle that.
Another thing I should add is since I'm not recording I'm going for that cab in the room sound, and many of the profiles aren't designed for that so the quest for the right profile takes longer.
And still trying to get my head around direct vs merged profiles, swapping out cabs, and all that. I like the Two Notes Torpedo method where you choose a cab, choose a mic, position the mic, add EQ and you're done. I thought the Kemper would be like that just that now you have a bunch of Amps set at noon so you just get three profiles of a Savage on Channel 1/2/3 and tweak it and it'll respond like the real amp...unfortunately (or fortunately?!) that's not how it seems to work.
For what its' worth some of the Hagen and Savage profiles seem to be my favs for the moment for that cab in the room sound....but again, it all depends on the sound you want and the profiles you can get your hands on.
I guess my last issue would be I would find a profile, get it where I want, then switch to another profile that I had recently setup the way I want it but it now sounds shitty cause the latest amps' sound is in my head....so I learned to only tweak one profile per sitting!

Metlupass2":13rt6abz said:
Curious why you bought that stage vs the head.

I love my power head into a Diezel 4x12 and Bogner 4x12...... In my basement!
I always wanted a Kemper but kept thinking this tech is now 5/6/7 years old I'll wait for the new version don't want to end up like the Axe FX guys...but it never came and I finally gave in once the stage came along!
I live in an apartment, don't gig except jamming with a drummer that has a PA/e-drums, and sold off my cab years ago so no point in getting a powered version.
Finally, I wanted something with a footswitch so I can use the looper and switch b/w patches and turn effects on and off without having to do it with my nose and the toaster/rack/remote combo was just too expensive and bulky.
Plus, got 10% off so it came out to $1600 including tax so it was actually the cheaper option surprisingly which sealed the deal.

ClintN667":37xoq0wu said:
Its been awhile since I used a Kemper but I think you hold the amp button down to get to the menu with definition. Although I could be wrong but definitely hold each of the buttons down for a few seconds to get to more options

That's the way....long hold the Amp button the scroll through the different pages...Definition is on p1 I think, EQ on the last page (or visa-versa).

Correct. The EQ Stack is always there no matter what page you're on 'though - just turn one of the EQ knobs.

xzyryabx":2lauuxpn said:
Thanks!
Yeh I usually start with the "Pure Cab" and "Low Shift" in Cab section, then "Definition", "Tube Bias", "Tube Shape" in the Amp section, then the High/Presence/Mid/Bass in the EQ section. Usually in that order more or less. And that's it, but I'm still getting my head around this box!
Makes sense. Pick and Sag might come in handy here and there too. I'm not a fan of "Clarity" - too easy to get into raspy territory.

One thing I realized though was that since each profile is a snapshot of an amp setup a certain way, tweaking the EQ doesn't react like I would expect, and it's best not to tweak too much. I find that I usually don't need to adjust more than 1 dB on the EQ, but for the other settings I find myself going more to one extreme or the other.
The great things about the EQ are that it's transparent and consistent. Once you know how it "sounds" it's more-efficient to use than if it were different for each amp as it is in real life.

One thing that bothers me is the highs sometimes sound artificial/digital but I'm starting to learn how to handle that.
Could be that you're hearing phase cancellation due to the amp's having been mic'd in a slanted / angled fashion. Many engineers employ this technique in order to get more mix cut-through, primarily for metal-rhythm parts.

Pure Cab is there to reduce this edgy-phase thing, so try it in those circumstances. A setting of between 1 and 3 usually does the trick nicely.

Another thing I should add is since I'm not recording I'm going for that cab in the room sound, and many of the profiles aren't designed for that so the quest for the right profile takes longer.
Actually, none of the Profiles is designed for that 'cause they're essentially recording-setup snapshots, and nobody goes for the amp-in-the-room sound whilst recording. It's more a case of trying to get the best-possible sound out of an amp and adding 'verb & effects to taste after the fact.

I guess my last issue would be I would find a profile, get it where I want, then switch to another profile that I had recently setup the way I want it but it now sounds shitty cause the latest amps' sound is in my head....so I learned to only tweak one profile per sitting!
Good policy, man.

....got me thinking... the stage 2, or a used toaster/rack with foot pedal? damnit... lol those top-jimi profiles are F'henomenal

The Axe III is outstanding as is the Kemper. I now have both of them that I use regularly into a couple of powered Friedman ASM and ASC monitors. I have been using the Axe III live all summer until this point. I recently sold my amp and got the Kemper as another option to have. I love amps like everyone else does but I don't find it something I necessarily need anymore.

I play live and rehearse regularly. For me, these solutions work great and sound fantastic and are lighter and easier to take with me.

PBGas":206w9tra said:
The Axe III is outstanding as is the Kemper. I now have both of them that I use regularly into a couple of powered Friedman ASM and ASC monitors. I have been using the Axe III live all summer until this point. I recently sold my amp and got the Kemper as another option to have. I love amps like everyone else does but I don't find it something I necessarily need anymore.

I play live and rehearse regularly. For me, these solutions work great and sound fantastic and are lighter and easier to take with me.

Which do you prefer and why?

Here's a bunch of experience on my end with the stage having had it for 2 months now.

-Always tweak your profiles through a good monitor, avoid headphones (I'm selling a friedman asm12 because the cheaper smaller yamaha dxr 10 is a LOT LOT better sound wise, tones that I hate through my beyerdynamic DT990 pro sound amazing in room and vice versa)

-Establish a good workflow/routine, in my case the first thing i did was remove all rigs from the kemper and added only those that I really like. That helps navigating (yes there's a button for assigning favorites)

-Do not touch the EQ, try working with definition and clarity first, my rule of thumb is that with lower guitar tunings, I opt to go higher on definition, if the profile isn't like 80% there, skip to another one

-Press store a lot. A friedman M Britt profile can have definition at around 5.6-6 which is because he makes sounds using a P90 guitar. A drop B PRS can easily go to definition setting of 8-9 or even 10. Use your ears.

-I have my global pure cab completely OFF, that's what's recommended with all professional profiles in 99% cases, I HATE the pure cab, it sounds like a cheapo zoom pedal with it. Removing it made all my sounds sound much better

-Profiles that are great for recording do not necessarily work for live use, some profiles sound overhyped in bass/treble/gain etc. they rarely work in a live band situation. example -> STL profiles to me sound great for mix ready recording rather than playing live. Whereas M Britt profiles such as Friedman/5150 which when i first heard at home through heaphones I immediately skipped - THEY FUCKIN RIP in room/FOH. They sound just like a broad raw amp should and it turned my kemper experience from - passable to IN LOVE.

-Try working with the morph function, it's an absolutely amazing feature which allows you to have pretty much twice the amount of presets within a performance setting

I do have a problem for which i'm going to open a ticket - the arrow down button sometimes does not react. It just won't switch to previous performance which sucks but is ok cause live i use a single performance setting :).
All in all - I have had tube amps, i've had a helix, this thing is it for me.

Great advice K.
Lines up with my experience and what I've read on the forums.
I just today started to use the rig manager, so I'm going to delete everything off of the Kemper and start fresh.
I play in my room 90% of the things me so I mostly tweak for sound-in-room, but I always also keep a non-udelterated copy of the original profile. So I end up with the original + 5 or so customised versions.
Do all profiles list if they are studio or merged?
Does each profile come with only 1 cab option? When I go to try other cabs it looks like it cycles through a number of presents that came preloaded o the Kemper, not different cab/mic combos the author used.
And can we mess around with the mic placement? Or are we stuck with whatever the author used?

xzyryabx":35lejymo said:
I just today started to use the rig manager, so I'm going to delete everything off of the Kemper and start fresh.
That's the way to go, man.

I play in my room 90% of the things me so I mostly tweak for sound-in-room, but I always also keep a non-udelterated copy of the original profile. So I end up with the original + 5 or so customised versions.
Same here; I always keep originals 'cause I never know how much I might screw something up.

Do all profiles list if they are studio or merged?
None do, I'm afraid. Kemper is aware of the request 'though.

If you buy commercial packs it'll always be stated. I name my folders in Rig Manager with Merged appended when this is the case, and DI if the Rigs are cab-less.

Does each profile come with only 1 cab option?
Commercial and free batches often come with a number of Cabs. It takes some work - one has to mic and Profile the setup for each different cab used. These Cabs are therefore part of separate Rigs - change the Rig = change the Cab.

When I go to try other cabs it looks like it cycles through a number of presents that came preloaded o the Kemper, not different cab/mic combos the author used.
What's happening here is that the Cab Preset list by default includes every Cab used in the Rigs you've got onboard your unit.

As I said previously, if a pack uses multiple Cabs, the Rigs provide that variation. It wouldn't make sense to swap Cabs between them 'cause it's already been done in the real world before Profiling.

And can we mess around with the mic placement? Or are we stuck with whatever the author used?
Mic types, preamps and placement are decisions made during the recording process "in the real world", so any "editing" of them on the Kemper would have to involve algorithmic (modelling) guesswork, and this isn't the M.O.; it's all about capturing someone's "ideal" recording setup.

Not my thread, but my question is... purchased packs can dumped/downloaded/installed (unsure of the proper phrase) on the Stage, correct?

MrDowntown":1l0cqvh1 said:
Not my thread, but my question is... purchased packs can dumped/downloaded/installed (unsure of the proper phrase) on the Stage, correct?

Yup...you just stick em on a USB and plug that into the Kemper, or plug the Kemper into your computer via USB cable. Simple as pie actually.

Back