NAD: Fortin - modded Diavlo - just got the MF blowout stack

squank

I saw the tip here last week that Musicians Friend was blowing out the Randall Diavlo RD50s for $299. When I heard that Mike had modded these late versions, I figured I couldn't go wrong with these amps. Well I was right!

MF was blowing out the 1x12 cabs for $99 each, so I figured I'd pick up two of them for the full mini stack (is there such a thing as full mini?) for $497. Not bad for an entire rig. Anyway, it got here today, and it has the little "Modified by Mike Fortin" hangtag. But once I heard the amp, I knew for sure Mike had touched it. I've owned other amps Mike has modded (and I regret selling the ones I sold :(). It really does have that special Fortin high gain, special mids tone. And at 50w, this amp will keep up with anything else. The two 1x12s are some pretty amazing cabs. I've owned a lot of 1x12s, and I've sold them all because they sounded boxy and small to me. I can tell you these sound great. I don't know the exact speaker (they're listed as 'Randall Diavlo speakers' and 50w RMS), but they sound great with this head.

Before trying the amp through the 1x12s, I ran it first through my 4x12 loaded with well broken in, Marshall-labeled Vintage 30s. The Fortin magic was obvious, so I tried the 1x12s, and they sound remarkably similar to the four V30s.

I'm not much of a clip guy, but I'll try to record something with my phone or video camera later today. But I have to get back to playing this amp. IT ROCKS HARD.

EDIT: NEW CLIP - the original one was terrible quality. I used a PRS Singlecut with an Anderson H3 in the bridge. Sennheiser 609 into GarageBand. No editing or post pro.

20130130_141233.jpg

20130130_133554.jpg

Whats the difference between this and the RD-45?

It looks like this 50w has an fx loop, so Im guessing here only more low end and a 5w difference?

Thanks guys.

EDIT: NEW CLIP - the original one was terrible quality. I used a PRS Singlecut with an Anderson H3 in the bridge. Sennheiser 609 into GarageBand. No editing or post pro.

Awesome Bill! Sounds chunky and mean. Getting some clipping in the recording but you can hear the tone. Tight playing!

gibson5413":3g0bm776 said:
Awesome Bill! Sounds chunky and mean. Getting some clipping in the recording but you can hear the tone. Tight playing!
Thanks, Chad!

Yea, you're exactly right about the clipping. I really need to get set up for some better recordings.

squank":2t4p63gn said:
I saw the tip here last week that Musicians Friend was blowing out the Randall Diavlo RD50s for $299. When I heard that Mike had modded these late versions, I figured I couldn't go wrong with these amps. Well I was right!

$299?! Seriously?!

WTF was I when this was going down?! :doh:

rlord1974":1pjnbhbt said:
squank":1pjnbhbt said:

$299?! Seriously?!

My exact thought :doh: :doh: :doh: :cry:

Its still going down according to MF website.

Im just curious of what all the differences are.

From the info I gathered I was told fx loop and more low end but this already has an effects loop so idk..

rlord1974":g2oaftd0 said:
squank":g2oaftd0 said:

$299?! Seriously?!

You need to pay better attention in class. :student:

maddnotez":2v8qpabe said:
Whats the difference between this and the RD-45?

It looks like this 50w has an fx loop, so Im guessing here only more low end and a 5w difference?
RD50:

50W
5 - 12AX7 preamp tubes
2 - JJ EL34 power tubes
Compatible with 6CA7, 6L6, 5881, 6550, KT88, KT77, and 6V6 power tubes
Fixed bias so no setup is required when changing power tubes
Classic Clean and Modern Overdrive channels
Global Boost function
3-band EQ
Presence control
Spring reverb
Series effects loop
Fixed output impedance (accepts 4 or 8 ohms total load)

RD45:

Pretty much the same, except 6L6s instead of EL34s, speaker emulated direct out (XLR), no reverb, rocker switches for power/standby (vs. toggles on the RD50), and the knob layout is slightly different (better, actually).

Rich7620":33ll8jnm said:
too bad there sold out would have liked to have picked one up
Yea, I bought mine late Friday night, and MF showed them sold out on Saturday.

Hey man, curious. The settings on the clip, same as in the picture????

If not where did you have the bass and mids dialed?

Rather than make a new one, I'll just jump on this thread as mine just arrived a few hours ago....and the first thing I did was create a crappy iphone video for my internet peeps:

Not as much gain as I expected (which may be a good thing)
I maxed it out on boost, put a BB+ clean boost on it with a 7string Epi w/ Miracle Mans
Beware senseless wanking at 1:15

maddnotez":1g7f7b5x said:
Hey man, curious. The settings on the clip, same as in the picture????

If not where did you have the bass and mids dialed?
Same as in the picture.

I probably should have mentioned that my clip (as bad as it is) is Guitar --> Amp. PRS SC Trem with Anderson H3 in the bridge.

crankyrayhanky":2uojuial said:
Rather than make a new one, I'll just jump on this thread as mine just arrived a few hours ago....and the first thing I did was create a crappy iphone video for my internet peeps:

I maxed it out on boost, put a BB+ clean boost on it with a 7string Epi w/ Miracle Mans
Cool clip, Ray!

squank":1fmwwrsc said:
crankyrayhanky":1fmwwrsc said:

Cool clip, Ray!

Yeah man that tone sounds great in that clip.

When you guys play it through your 4x12 can you feel it?

Does this thing have big balls?

Back