NAD (Fryette content)

sleewell2

so this Fryette Sig X kicks all sorts of ass. I took it to band practice last night and was very pleased. I thought all the knobs and switches were going to be hard to dial in but I was actually quickly able to get some really great tones with most of the eq knobs around noon. for sure the more time I spend with it things will just keep getting better - there is a lot going on but thankfully its hard to get a bad sound from it. it's very tight, super articulate and cuts through the mix perfectly. the 2 gain channels are extremely versatile - literally they go from totally clean all the way through low gain, mid gain crunch and then all out high gain.

family shot:

Jeff Hilligan":2mrvpvx0 said:
channel 2 is the best VHT/Freyette tone period!

I don't have experience with other models but I have to agree with you that it is awesome. I got the amp on Friday and then we went up north so Sunday night was the first real time I had with it. I didn't want to be that guy who took like half and hour to setup my shit while everyone else was waiting to jam so I just got a decent clean and really just jammed on channel 2 all night. it is awesome.

I look forward to getting channel 3 dialed in better but if I only use channel 2 and the clean channel the amp is totally worth more than I paid for it.

Jeff Hilligan":5xtschbt said:
Racerxrated":5xtschbt said:
Jeff Hilligan":5xtschbt said:
channel 2 is the best VHT/Freyette tone period!
Better than a D60? Inquiring minds.....do tell!

Yup

My experience with those amps was different. Sig X was great and fun but then when plugging into a Deliverance right after, it was more forceful and dynamic than the sig X. Definitely a case of the simpler amp with one or two glorious tones vs the Jack of all trades amps with 3-4 good tones. Like a JVM410 vs. a good 800 or JMP. I like how the Sig X clean channel gets a nice punchy crunch when you crank it up. A little Hiwattish and I think Steve digs Hiwatts a lot IIRC. The Sig and the D's are my most liked of the Fryette's and I wouldn't say no to either honestly.

I believe that the green channel, in theory, is based on the Deliverance.

I traded a D120+cash for my Sig. I don't regret the decision at all, though I occasionally miss the Deliverance. It was indeed capable of being much tighter and aggressive, but the Sig gets you close but, to me, sings more. Might have to do with the slightly tamer response.

To me the Sig X is what the Bogner Ecstasy should have been.

The Sig X is the amp I use the most the last few years. I use my Deliverance 120 a lot also. Completely agree with the Hiwatt reference. The Clean channel of the Sig X can get very close to the sound of a vintage Hiwatt.

dirtyfunkg":1eygynzd said:

I traded a D120+cash for my Sig. I don't regret the decision at all, though I occasionally miss the Deliverance. It was indeed capable of being much tighter and aggressive, but the Sig gets you close but, to me, sings more. Might have to do with the slightly tamer response.

Hmmmm... must be pretty impressive. Having owned an XTC Classic (and had long-term possession of an XTC 101B)... and a VHT Ultra Lead with EQ at the same time... the Bogner was much more organic, warm, and "friendly" than the more sterile-sounding UL. I could see why maybe metal players might prefer the UL to the XTC, but not rock players. Anyways... I realize that the UL is not the Sig X. But when I see a statement like "what the XTC should have been"... I find myself quite intrigued.

The Sig X is much more forgiving and organic than the UL.... But not as much as the XTC. The Sig X for my taste is much capable of "rock" sounds than the UL. The Sig X does great at rock sound. The clean & rhythm channel do great at getting that range. I think it would be more about personal preferences. They are all great amps. I don't play much metal myself since the 80's. I'm more a funk / R&B player. I prefer the definition, articulation and note seperation needed for complex chords the Fryette voice has.

Red_Label":3t6g4ewk said:
dirtyfunkg":3t6g4ewk said:

Hmmmm... must be pretty impressive. Having owned an XTC Classic (and had long-term possession of an XTC 101B)... and a VHT Ultra Lead with EQ at the same time... the Bogner was much more organic, warm, and "friendly" than the more sterile-sounding UL. I could see why maybe metal players might prefer the UL to the XTC, but not rock players. Anyways... I realize that the UL is not the Sig X. But when I see a statement like "what the XTC should have been"... I find myself quite intrigued.

When I ended up with my Sig:X, it came down to a comp between an Ecstasy 101B (new circa 2013) and the Sig:X. I tried the Bogner through a Bogner 4x12 cab at the Chicago GC platinum room. The Sig:X I tried through, IIRC, a Mesa cab at the Arlington Heights (IL) Guitar Center where the Sig:X was on sale used. At the time, money was no object. I tried the Bogner first, and was really impressed. I would have walked out that day with the amp but given the money involved, went home to sleep on it. Since it was a floor unit they were going to let it go for, IIRC, $2200+tax.

The next weekend I went to go try and potentially trade my D120 for a Mesa Mark III Red Stripe through a local deal. We decided to meet at GC (which I didn't feel right about but I guess he had a friend who worked there so it was fine). I didn't like the Mesa and was ready to walk out when I saw the Sig:X and decided, why not, I'm here already, let's give it a shot.

What won the Sig X is that I was able to get pretty damn closed to any of the tones the Bogner had, but I could tweak more and get more out of the Sig. The Sig:X clean acts like a classic NMV British head. Tube Rectifier was selectable if you want more sag and a little less head room, or SS rectifier for more balls and headroom. It never gets mushy though - the entire frequency spectrum was usable. The drive channels had some (not much) sonic similarity with the Pittbulls, but much more forgiving. Sort of like in between the Bogner and the UL which I previously owned and sold off.

In fact, overall on the drive channels (Blue and Red on Ecstasy, and Red/Yellow on the Fryettes), the Sig:X felt like it was right in the middle between the Ecstasy and the UL. You could tune it to sound more like one or the other, but it also has its own thing going. The gain channels required no OD/boost going into the amp to get tight for the hard rock / metal I play, and the response to my volume knob was also very impressive--much more impressive than the Pittbulls I've had.

This is all, of course, my completely subjective opinion.

The amp first came out the first few month of 2008. Mine is #14. I did the updates in 2010... You would need to ask Fryette if your amp could get updates. I have no idea when the # changed over. I believe it might only be for the early ones.

holy cow this amp is so awesome. someone said something about sterile above and I couldn't disagree more. yes, they are very tight and articulate but I am not hearing anything close to sterile at all. the boost on the clean channel is a really great sound - very powerful.

right now it has KT88s. I plan to keep them for a while since it sounds so good but maybe put in 6550s down the road. my viper and mako have 6550s and I pretty much think they are my favorite type of tubes.

what preamp tubes do you guys like the best for these amps?

Back