NAD!!!! Laney GH100S!!

glpg80

Scored an insanely killer deal on a Laney GH100S! I’ve been looking for a GH100TI for quite a while but they’re getting hard to find. This one popped up locally and I couldn’t resist and had to have it!

For those that aren’t aware, the GH100S was only made during the first year of the Iommi series putting this one as a 1994 model. The GH100S was made with stand-up capacitors like a Marshall JMP which was changed in 1995 with the GH100TI to be within the chassis.

I filled in for a guitarist and drummer at practice ages ago around 2008 and his rig was a GH100TI with matching Laney cabinets. To this day I’ve been looking for one of my own. Underrated doesn’t begin to describe it - it’s basically a 4 stage JCM800 made in the UK!

Super stoked! :rock:

EFBC448C-7B26-47DB-A57F-ABAC21B28A52.jpeg

Last edited:
It nails the Black Sabbath and Ozzy vibes very well. I plan to make a volume knob pedal that you can step on which will act like a poor mans clean channel for it. Ironically since it is JCM800 based, the LO input gives an amazing clean on its own - likely one of the best I’ve ever heard.

Didnt Paul Gilbert play one of those for a long time?
He played a GH100L which has less gain than this one. The GH100L doesn’t maintain as much Marshall character compared to the Iommi model even though it’s looked upon as a poor mans JCM 800. Additionally, The GH100L is a true two channel switcher while the Iommi is more like a JCM800 with a Hi/Lo input that bypasses gain stages. The GH100L was also a much more common model as it was no one’s signature amplifier, where the GH100S/TI models were signature models which were not manufactured as long, making them less common. Both are great models but if I had to go for only one, the S/TI is my preference.

I plan to make a volume knob pedal that you can step on which will act like a poor mans clean channel for it.
I built two pedals like that. The big wheel on the silver one is an expression control for my delay.
I’ve been wanting to try one of those Laneys for a long time. They never pop up locally.

Attachments

• 53EBCB51-CD97-4270-BF2D-7A3024A7CB8F.jpeg
    53EBCB51-CD97-4270-BF2D-7A3024A7CB8F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 40
  • 627E5A57-9486-4B2D-8058-A1F6FD90C2AA.jpeg
    627E5A57-9486-4B2D-8058-A1F6FD90C2AA.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 39
I built two pedals like that. The big wheel on the silver one is an expression control for my delay.
I’ve been wanting to try one of those Laneys for a long time. They never pop up locally.

The only way I knew about this one was reverb watch feature where you can tag all kinds of search options and if something pops up you see it in your list. The location was just pure luck - I suspected I would have had to pay shipping, additional tax, and a higher price for the seller’s listing fees. Thankfully it was just a couple hours of meeting up and talking gear with one another and heading out.

The dude was happy to unload it to someone that was going to play it which it will certainly get some band practice time. I’d much rather keep the big boy amps at home and lug the 5150 or Laney for practice.

The only way I knew about this one was reverb watch feature where you can tag all kinds of search options and if something pops up you see it in your list. The location was just pure luck - I suspected I would have had to pay shipping, additional tax, and a higher price for the seller’s listing fees. Thankfully it was just a couple hours of meeting up and talking gear with one another and heading out.

The dude was happy to unload it to someone that was going to play it which it will certainly get some band practice time. I’d much rather keep the big boy amps at home and lug the 5150 or Laney for practice.

What are the big boy amps?

I remember those.. great amps. Is the preamp section different to the GH100L in terms other than the clean?
Yes definitely - less of that fuzzy character on the top end of GH100Ls which I personally can’t stand. The only way to get rid of it is to crank the hell out of them - there’s no way to remove it even with turning the gain way down. The TI and S models especially don’t have it at all - it’s more JCM grind.

After plugging in for a few hours it’s pretty rough to solo on so I’ll likely get a clean boost to loosen it up a bit but it’s a feel thing not a gain thing. It’s definitely everything I expected or remembered and more. Not letting this one go anytime soon!

A GH series Laney is one of the few stops along the way I haven't made in my gear tour over the years. I'm pretty happy with where I'm at, but if I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket and one pops up...

Good score!

I’ve had an 80’s pro tube 50, 6 knob Laney for a few about 6 years now and love it (haven’t liked 8 knob models I’ve tried). It’s definitely marshall DNA and with a boost it’s as good a hot, hard rock tone as I’ve heard. Without a pedal it’s still an awesome rock tone.

Back