NAD: Mark IIB Loop Mod

Meeotch

It's been a while since I posted a NAD so I thought this would be a fun one. Technically I acquired this last year but it's been through a couple changes since, and now the journey is done. Originally a combo, loop modded by Mike B and now installed into this beautiful head shell made by @Metalone72. Scott is the man! I even found the original purchase receipt tucked up inside the combo. This particular amp is an HRG with winged C's and old Mesa labeled 6N4's. RP9C board puts it near the end of the run just before Mesa switched to the IIC.

Granted I still have never played a C+, but this thing totally rips. I do own a couple of green stripes (one ++), a IVB and owned a couple JP's. This is tubbier in the lows than any of those, but it has the gain and brings the goods in a unique wall-of-sound way. I find its mid growl sets it apart from the III and IV, and clarity wise it is on par with those. Many say the IIC+ has the most clarity, where this is more of a poor man's IIC+. I'm ok with that. It's a different flavor with a vintage spin on the Mark tone but then Mike B waves his wand and suddenly it's ultra pissed off!

A few shots of the head shell upgrade: The factory reverb tank came with a wooden cover that was too thick, so I cut a piece of acrylic sheet to replace it. The original fan still works fine, and I just transferred the Boogie logo from the combo. I'd call this a near perfect example of a "IIB+" that is now 40 years old. Cheers!

Congrats!! I often prefer my loop modded IIB for heavy rhythms over the IIC+ FWIW... ...and I definitely prefer it for classic rock tones.

Yeah I remember you mentioning this before. Seems like you're on a Wizard kick lately! Even offing the Deliverance! I'm loving this IIB.
Yeah, it had a wall of articulate sound the likes I've not heard in any other amp and the touch senility was insane.

Admittedly I am.

Back