NAD mesa mark iii blue stripe HRG and NCD!!!

Redneckstomp

I bought this old but gorgeous amp and cab. I tried Mk 5 before. It was nice amp overall. But, I wasn't that impressed. Mk3 is freaking awesome. I played through my marshall 1960bx cab loaded with greenback and fryette deliverance cab loaded with fane f70 speakers. Both soundes fantastic with Mk3. Raw, cutting, aggressive and loud as hell. Still I need to more time to set the tone. Mk3 is different type of an amp that I've owned. And cab is loaded with old ev12l speaker I think(I haven't opened back panel yet). Small but heavy cab. Sounds great with Mk3. But, I like marshall and fryette cab more.

Attachments

• 20230925_185600.jpg
    20230925_185600.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 56
  • 20230925_191150.jpg
    20230925_191150.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 57
  • 20230925_192355.jpg
    20230925_192355.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 56
i’m stoked for you! it’s a milestone in boogie evolution that still sounds great today. i remember seeing the ads when they first came out and wanting one sooo bad!

take the quality with a grain of salt--iphone across the room recording—here’s my 2023 attempt at sounding like Rik’s 1979 marshall with a 1988 boogie blue III ! 🫡

i was using a dd-2 into a dd-500 for looping the rhythm, in the loop of the boogie, and sending the other side of the stereo output of the pedal into my peacemaker. i ran the boogie presence knob on 7 and shaved the geq highs off to compensate trying to recreate some marshall raw brashness. v30 in the orange cab and warehouse et65 in the evh cab

the bogner blue wasn’t on in the vid, but it does sound good for a little extra zing in front when needed!

IMG_6098.jpeg

I bought this old but gorgeous amp and cab. I tried Mk 5 before. It was nice amp overall. But, I wasn't that impressed. Mk3 is freaking awesome. I played through my marshall 1960bx cab loaded with greenback and fryette deliverance cab loaded with fane f70 speakers. Both soundes fantastic with Mk3. Raw, cutting, aggressive and loud as hell. Still I need to more time to set the tone. Mk3 is different type of an amp that I've owned. And cab is loaded with old ev12l speaker I think(I haven't opened back panel yet). Small but heavy cab. Sounds great with Mk3. But, I like marshall and fryette cab more.
Big time congrats there man. I am jealous!

after owning a triaxis/395 rack rig at the same time i had a no stripe non geq mark III and a/b’ing both, even though i could pull a billion great refined sounds out of the tri, the head was always so much juicier, and single notes were bigger and wider sounding.

the one unavoidable drawback is the current tube quality versus the abundance of the magic bottles of yesteryear. if you read the language of the earlier mesa brochures, they used to make a big deal about tube testing, quality and selection.

IMO
with great tubes, your gain and tone controls are way more 3D responsive and musical from 0-10. modern stuff is more noisy, nasally, less sustain, and reduces the dynamic range of the control from like 2-8 with the fringes you seem to rely more on not making as much of a difference.

i’m stoked for you! it’s a milestone in boogie evolution that still sounds great today. i remember seeing the ads when they first came out and wanting one sooo bad!

take the quality with a grain of salt--iphone across the room recording—here’s my 2023 attempt at sounding like Rik’s 1979 marshall with a 1988 boogie blue III ! 🫡

i was using a dd-2 into a dd-500 for looping the rhythm, in the loop of the boogie, and sending the other side of the stereo output of the pedal into my peacemaker. i ran the boogie presence knob on 7 and shaved the geq highs off to compensate trying to recreate some marshall raw brashness. v30 in the orange cab and warehouse et65 in the evh cab

the bogner blue wasn’t on in the vid, but it does sound good for a little extra zing in front when needed!

View attachment 251192

Great sounding and playing!! This amp is hard to dial. But, It is getting better now.

after owning a triaxis/395 rack rig at the same time i had a no stripe non geq mark III and a/b’ing both, even though i could pull a billion great refined sounds out of the tri, the head was always so much juicier, and single notes were bigger and wider sounding.

the one unavoidable drawback is the current tube quality versus the abundance of the magic bottles of yesteryear. if you read the language of the earlier mesa brochures, they used to make a big deal about tube testing, quality and selection.

IMO
with great tubes, your gain and tone controls are way more 3D responsive and musical from 0-10. modern stuff is more noisy, nasally, less sustain, and reduces the dynamic range of the control from like 2-8 with the fringes you seem to rely more on not making as much of a difference.
Thanks for the advice!! Maybe I will get NOS tubes for this amp later.

I keep saying it’s best mark ever , the mk 3 ++green stripe is mark king !
i also love the green stripe combo for it’s slightly fatter clean sound and buttery fusion lead tone especially with EVs or WGS Blackhawk HPs

i think the blue is close, and pretty ferocious and more aggro when the gain is set to grinding chainsaw metal through a celestion 4x12. boogies even make G-1275Ts sound useable!

this is when i first got the blue III

Man as great as the green sounds, I just love the sound of your mark iii blue stripe so much more. The gain is just cleaner and like you said it has an aggressive attack that is opposite of the green stripe. The leads on the green are amazing but I just don’t jive with the rhythm like I do for the blue.

Man as great as the green sounds, I just love the sound of your mark iii blue stripe so much more. The gain is just cleaner and like you said it has an aggressive attack that is opposite of the green stripe. The leads on the green are amazing but I just don’t jive with the rhythm like I do for the blue.
I heard blue is brightest mk iii. I tend to like dark side amp. But, this is special. This amps has so much oomph. I can't imagine how mk ii series are good. Buying mk iii was the best purchase in this year.

Agreed, the Blue is more aggressive with better clarity.

Back