NAD Monomyth Skeleton Key

ClintN667

Finally got this Tuesday after fedex saying that it's postponed...

It surpassed my already high expectations. I feel like I have my 1974 super lead and the 2204 black son in one amp plus some.

Been trying to record clips for 3 days but life gets in the way. Hopefully get one done today.

Low noise floor has more gain than I will ever need and it's all usable

Attachments

• 20211019_173136.jpg
    20211019_173136.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 104
Glad you're digging it man. I'd love to try one, but god damn I'm so fucking happy with my current rig I'm not even thinking about other amps, pedals, guitars or cabs. Of course it's centered around my Monomyth mod. 😎

Hell yeah! The skeleton key is by far my favorite I’ve owned. Haven’t fired up the splawn since the skeleton key came.
Yeah man I was trying to explain it to a friend the other day when I was at work. I was able to get this really throaty nasty tone that sounds absolutely disgusting in the best possible sense. I never make faces when I play but I had a stank face when playing it.
He has really out did himself with this one.

I no longer miss my Splawns, Ceriatones, or even my previous Monomyth amps.

Now I'm waiting on my final amp of 2021 which is a KSR Ares. It's finished just waiting on Kyle to test it and ship.

Glad you're digging it man. I'd love to try one, but god damn I'm so fucking happy with my current rig I'm not even thinking about other amps, pedals, guitars or cabs. Of course it's centered around my Monomyth mod. 😎
I figured you were digging that amp having kept it this long. My G.A.S. is at an all time low on amps, and I sold most of my pedals in favor of using the Quad Cortex. I had to work today but I'm going to do my best to get some clips as well as set the QC up for the 4cm with the monomyth

Doooood congrats! Can't wait to hear a clip. Super intrigued by Shea's work. Haven't played one of his mods/amps yet.

Yeah man I was trying to explain it to a friend the other day when I was at work. I was able to get this really throaty nasty tone that sounds absolutely disgusting in the best possible sense. I never make faces when I play but I had a stank face when playing it.

Now I'm waiting on my final amp of 2021 which is a KSR Ares. It's finished just waiting on Kyle to test it and ship.

I had a Monomyth 1987x that I just didn't bond with at all, but your comment has me interested in one of these.

I thought the Ares was badass. Very unique midrange grind...different from any other amp I've owned. Was a monster of an amp...chug/grind city.

I had a Monomyth 1987x that I just didn't bond with at all, but your comment has me interested in one of these.

I thought the Ares was badass. Very unique midrange grind...different from any other amp I've owned. Was a monster of an amp...chug/grind city.
I had a MKII Orthos and that amp was my baby. I had to sell it cause of covid screwing things up. I really didn't use the clean channel at all so this time I just went with an Ares with the clean mod.

I'm excited to get that amp but it's a bit different than the Skeleton Key cause I didn't know what to expect. This is my 3rd Monomyth that's come through my hands and it's finally scratched the itch I've had since selling the Superlead. I think Marshall mods can sound very different even with the same mod on the same model donor amp. I think with the SK he can get a consistent result.

I had a MKII Orthos and that amp was my baby. I had to sell it cause of covid screwing things up. I really didn't use the clean channel at all so this time I just went with an Ares with the clean mod.

I'm excited to get that amp but it's a bit different than the Skeleton Key cause I didn't know what to expect. This is my 3rd Monomyth that's come through my hands and it's finally scratched the itch I've had since selling the Superlead. I think Marshall mods can sound very different even with the same mod on the same model donor amp. I think with the SK he can get a consistent result.
Is the Ares supposed to be the same gain circuit as Orthos? That Ares tone stuck with me even all these years later...such a pissed of unique midrange.

Is the SK capable of more open/raw thrashy tones, or is it more compressed modern metal? I can understand each modded amp being unique. That 1987x I had was just...synthetic sounding. Not the right word but the best way to describe it I can think of. Just didn't sound natural like it was just too hot/pushed. I t also had this weird clanky attack. I love aggressive attack in an amp it's the number one thing I look for, but that amp was just odd. I will say it had a killer and enormous low end response.

Last edited:
Love to try one of these!
I was on waiting list and Shea contacted me, but I had just purchased to other high gainers and had to forfeit my spot😑
Let’s hear her scream, Clint!!

Crazy isn’t it? Shea literally wiped out every amp 😂. I might get a helix or something for clean tones but other than that, this gain channel is all I’ve ever needed a gain channel to be

Is the Ares supposed to be the same gain circuit as Orthos? That Ares tone stuck with me even all these years later...such a pissed of unique midrange.
I think so. I think the Mk2 was basically the Ares with a clean channel but I have a couple friends that said they preferred the Ares vs the Orthos.

A buddy let me try the Gemini which is a fantastic amp but it's too much amp for me.

Back