NAD; Probably the only boogie I'll ever own again.

DanTravis62

Gotcha bitch.

PXL_20221228_002629512.jpg

You probably assumed because this is RT that it would be a brown stripe mark 2c++ LGHDTV or dual rec rev f chartreuse didn't ya?

I know it's very TGP, but this thing is actually really fantastic sounding, takes pedals spectacularly, and the power scaling is a great feature - the 2 and 10 watt settings can get very "champy"

It's basically a tweed fender with some modern ease of use features.

I'll be scouring the classifieds for grab n go Birkenstocks with socks, cargo shorts on stage, and brush up on my "la grange."

I'm rolling with the 140w 1965b; the sizes match even if the colors don't.
16721929681691888613785627541330.jpg

Anyone else played these? I think they sound far superior to a bassman LTD or something.

I've never heard of it myself. Great looking app congratulations very cool you love it, enjoy!
Thanks man!

They're basically a modern take on a fender tweed with very cool power scaling.

I had to get rid of my beloved matchless and vintage bandmaster and downsize (yuck) so this is my consolation prize.

Very cool.

I bought one of these recently too, and not to just go straight for the superlatives, but I think it does the best clean / broken up clean sounds I've ever heard. My favorite clean used to be my Mesa Lonestar but the Cali Tweed just edges it out I think. The Lonestar is big and bold (and not going anywhere, btw) but the Cali Tweed is brighter and clearer, and just a bit sweeter sounding. It sits right between tweed and blackface tones to me.

The Multi-Watt dial on this amp is what really sells it though. At the full 40 watts, it has big and wide, glassy, almost acoustic sounding cleans. Turning the gain up makes the amp take on a more elastic and very slightly more naturally compressed characteristic. As you lower the MW dial, the tone gets quieter and darker and gives way to more and more broken up vintage overdrives until it's totally falling apart if you want it to.

Congrats man, It's a hell of an amp.

Last edited:
Very cool.

I bought one of these recently too, and not to just go straight for the superlatives, but I think it does the best clean / broken up clean sounds I've ever heard. My favorite clean used to be my Mesa Lonestar but the Cali Tweed just edges it out I think. The Lonestar is big and bold but the Cali Tweed is brighter and clearer, and just a bit sweeter sounding.

The Multi-Watt dial on this amp is what really sells it though. It takes things rom big and wide, glassy, almost acoustic sounding cleans down to darker broken up cleans and overdrives.

Congrats man, It's one hell of an amp.

I too was a huge Lonestar fan, absolutely loved the clean sounds. This thing has a chimey quality to it, in addition to the fenderyness that the lone star has.

I'm really not normally a boogie guy, but these really impressed me and I had to snag one.

The power scaling multi watt thing is really impressive, it definitely isn't like a passive volume pot in the loop - it really fundamentally changes shit.

On the low power settings with the gain and volume high you can absolutely get cranked champ tones, which is really cool.

Thanks man!

They're basically a modern take on a fender tweed with very cool power scaling.

I had to get rid of my beloved matchless and vintage bandmaster and downsize (yuck) so this is my consolation prize.
If you like it that's all that matters!

The power scaling multi watt thing is really impressive, it definitely isn't like a passive volume pot in the loop - it really fundamentally changes shit.

On the low power settings with the gain and volume high you can absolutely get cranked champ tones, which is really cool.

Yep, here's what the multi watt dial does, as the manual explains it:
  • 40 Watts - Four 6V6s in Class AB Pentode
  • 30 Watts - Four 6V6s, two in Class AB Pentode, two in Class AB Triode
  • 20 Watts - Two 6V6s in Class AB Pentode
  • 10 Watts - Two 6V6s in Class AB Triode
  • 2 Watts - Two 6V6s in Class A Parallel, one in Pentode and one in Triode

I’d love to have one of these. Looks super cool and I’ll bet it sounds great.
Not much talk on clean tone in these parts, but a great clean sound is so much fun to play.

I’d love to have one of these. Looks super cool and I’ll bet it sounds great.
Not much talk on clean tone in these parts, but a great clean sound is so much fun to play.

That was the appeal, for sure

Like Beyond Black said, it's got a very nice touch sensitivity to it

Kind of similar to a fender preamp based Brian Gerhard tophat (club deluxe, super deluxe, etc) in that regard

But the sounds are 100% tweed fender with some voxy chime in there

I'm sorry but I'm pretty confident it is not better than a bassman.
I'm sure it's cool and sounds good.
It looks really cool !
Plus bassmans come in many flavors.
Not all are equal.
Marshall's were based off bassman circuits.

Sounds like a great amp. Looks sexy as hell too. This Cali sounds like it would be closer to that end I chasing from my Lonestar.
While I love the cleans, I find it quite a darker amp than I thought it would be. Very loud and thick cleans. I bought it for those Andy Timmons type cleans but I find myself trying to dial up the chime and clarity in the top end a lot to more of a blackface type clean, and that seems to be what I want in my clean tones. I have a 64 Bassman that I tend to prefer. I get lost playing that one for hours, rather than the Lonestar.
I'll have to keep and eye out for a Cali to try.

I'm sorry but I'm pretty confident it is not better than a bassman.
I'm sure it's cool and sounds good.
It looks really cool !
Plus bassmans come in many flavors.
Not all are equal.
Marshall's were based off bassman circuits.

Reread what I said.

The Bassman LTD. Fenders specific tweed bassman reissue.

I'm well aware of the different bassman circuits 😂

Back