NAD: Rhodes Colossus… and it’s all over. Clips!

VESmedic

It was my buddy’s I’ll have to look at the preamp, but power section is all TAD 6L6, he’s got it dialed in perfect, whatever else is in it!
Did you get the special foot controller that comes with it? Its sweet! I haven't boosted the amp, but after hearing your clips, I might have to give it a try, I have kt77s in it now its pretty tight

Did you get the special foot controller that comes with it? Its sweet! I haven't boosted the amp, but after hearing your clips, I might have to give it a try, I have kt77s in it now its pretty tight

so playing straight in for me, a boost is definitely not needed. These DI’s “needed” it to me, for whatever reason. I’ve found reamping is totally different than playing straight in yourself etc. who knows how these were tracked, how the player was etc, so it’s all circumstantial I guess. If it was me playing these, I probbaky wouldn’t have used a boost, but it’s for sure killer with one no doubt. This Amps response is very similar to the 5153 line in the low end, except that it absolutely mills with a boost: the 5153s to me are very picky with boosts because they are already so gained out and tight to begin with.

I do not have the footswitch no, no need for me personally.

Sounds great. How does it compare to the Driftwood ?

I’ll have to get back to you on that, but initial reaction is it’s smoother in the response and high end than the driftwood for sure. This amp is slightly on the darker side, but there was plenty more treble I could’ve added on the amp itself. The driftwoods low end is unlike any amp I own, so it’s hard to compare there. The Rhodes is definitely more in the recto camp as far as bigness and sledgehammer type feel: not that the driftwood can’t do that, but it’s not as thick and bulldozer like to me anyways.

The Rhodes is a phenomenal and I mean phenomenal lead amp. It feels amazing. The 4th channel has this rubber band type of response when playing legato/arpeggios ( that’s the best way I can describe it) that just feels ridiculous. Like your fingers are bouncing off the fretboard with every note and bouncing right back on to it… I realize that makes no sense, but that compressed feel on the 4th channel is something that those have played it for longer than me could probably understand and describe better. Much better for ME anyways on leads than the driftwood. The driftwood feels much more open for leads which is great, but I like that tight compresssdd easy feel for leads personally.

I see why people compare this to the SLO: although I think the SLO absolutely blows for anything other than lead playing ( flame on!), the Rhodes does have that similar chewy greasy midrange thing going on, except is much thicker and more aggressive than the SLO ever could be.

Awesome! I think my next amp will be a Gemini, but I was considering the Colossus too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds great, congratulations!! I love the Artemis, got it about 5 years ago and don’t think I can ever see letting it go…

Don’t be afraid of the Bright switch, it’s always on for me, adds the right touch.

Sounds great, congratulations!! I love the Artemis, got it about 5 years ago and don’t think I can ever see letting it go…

Don’t be afraid of the Bright switch, it’s always on for me, adds the right touch.

Yea this amp is a keeper. Honestly I made a list a year or two of amps I will own and never sell, after owning it all over the last 20 years or so, and I don’t think I could sell any of my Amps. Every single one of them is my number one at times, and literally not one of them I could let go. I’ve just got it nailed down to exactly what I like and need, and these 7 or 8 amps are it for me. But the KSR very well may be in the top 3 amps for me, maybe higher. It’s been awhile since an amp hit me like this for sure, it’s just a phenomenal killer amp.

*ADDED*

A few clips with my Marshall 1960BV.

settings and signal chain are exactly the same, although I didn’t get as much time to mess around with mic placement or this mix. But it is a much brighter cabinet, for sure. This can fit the Rhodes though with it being on the darker side at times. Guitars are probably too loud in this mix too, oh well!

Guitars only:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/GH3p6CHY29QBTByn6Full mix:
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/LRRnFddyTAqufieF7

Last edited:
This amp is insane. Absolutely insane. Just got this guy, and of course had to make some clips. Right now, this might be my favorite amp I own. Holy cow does it feel amazing and sound even better: check out some clips:

Rhodes colossus channel 3 no mode switch
Mesa OS
Unidyne sm57
BAE 1073
Horizon precision drive

Mix:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/8RRKZTA56EbHGnhJ7
guitars only:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/n1PvHmPz9eJ1VLiN6
Awesome man great job sounds great!

I think the Marshall cab beats the Mesa for me in this example. Sounds balanced and huge.

thanks man. I updated the link for the 1960BV and guitars only, didn’t realize I had the links messed up. Take a listen if you wanna hear the guitars ISO’d.

I made a list a year or two of amps I will own and never sell, after owning it all over the last 20 years or so, and I don’t think I could sell any of my Amps. Every single one of them is my number one at times, and literally not one of them I could let go.
This is EXACTLY my world.
I went thru a bunch of brands trying almost every model and stopping on my favorites.
Wound up with one Diezel, one ENGL,one Peters,one KSR,one Splawn,one VHT,etc....ad nauseam.
Even went so far as one modded Marshall and one stock Marshall.
Ok,I have three Randall X2 heads...but they go with the matching warhead stacks. Couldn't pass up having the matching wall of Dime-age.
I can't give any of them up.
But all that gear is actually in my will. At least I don't have to worry about what will happen to it.

Glad you are enjoying it!

I had an Orthos MK2 and I loved it but I had to sell an amp and it was between this or my Mark iv. So fast forward 4-6 months later and I have an Ares being shipped out in the next couple of weeks plus a KSR 4x12. KSR is just a perfect amp for me. I am getting a monomyth skeleton key to cover hot rodded Marshall then I think I'm done tone chasing. I went through a dozen or so amps the past 2 years and now I know what I need and what I don't. A Mark series, a hot rodded Marshall, a 5150 type amp, and a KSR are all I need.

I was using my buddies Gemini a few weeks ago through a Marshall 1936v and really enjoyed it. I'm hoping my new 4x12 will sound good(creamback 75's and either redback or dv-77).

Back