NED!!! (New Explorer Day) Now with a sound clip!!!

H_Squire":xmgcam3x said:
What does the 12th fret inlay say?

It says "120th Anniversary"

I can just see some drunk coming up to me in a club asking if it was a wedding anniversary gift....

raiken":3im23e2w said:
H_Squire":3im23e2w said:
What does the 12th fret inlay say?

It says "120th Anniversary"

I can just see some drunk coming up to me in a club asking if it was a wedding anniversary gift....

And you reply straight faced - Yes, it was. Today we're celebrating our great, great, great, great, great grand childs birthday!

raiken":2qe3ic1o said:
JiMB":2qe3ic1o said:
Nice!
That first Montrose album is killer!

Yes, it is! That album was a landmark in hard rock.

By the way, I checked out your YouTube videos....great playing!!! I loved your tone with that Germino Club 40 w/master and the R8. Real nice and woody sounding with those Creambacks.
Thanks!

great tone big guy :rock:

do you use the tomcat built in attenuation in conjunction with the external box?

and what tubes are you using these days? i might be retubing my peacemaker soon (plexi el-34 style with high gain EF184/6EJ7 Pentode Preamp tubes mod) and have no idea what is happening in tube land these days other than old stuff still sounds best to my ear

http://www.marshallforum.com/workbench/ ... rison.html

mentoneman":abqiedp8 said:
great tone big guy :rock:

do you use the tomcat built in attenuation in conjunction with the external box?

and what tubes are you using these days? i might be retubing my peacemaker soon (plexi el-34 style with high gain EF184/6EJ7 Pentode Preamp tubes mod) and have no idea what is happening in tube land these days other than old stuff still sounds best to my ear

http://www.marshallforum.com/workbench/ ... rison.html

On that clip the Tomcat attenuator was set to -6dB, primarily because that is where it was set when I was A/Bing the silent reactive load with the cab, and it was too loud in the room.

As for tubes, I try to stay away from the NOS stuff, because, as a manufacturer, you can't get reliable quantities of any of them, and the price is way too high. I design with modern tubes, and adjust the circuit to fit the tube. I'm probably going to catch hell for saying this, but I really like the Chinese 12ax7s (Ruby's), as long as the amp is designed for them.

For the Tomcat, however, the only tube that will clip properly and sound right, to my ears, in the phase inverter is a JJ ECC83S, and since the first preamp tube is an unconventional 12AT7, the only one I recommend is a JJ ECC81. I've tried all sorts of NOS and military CVxxx versions of the 12AT7, and all were crap in terms of microphonics and noise - the JJ is the only one quiet and non-microphonic enough to use in the first preamp position, and even then, I would only get about a 10% yield of usable ones, at best.

Back