NEED AMP ADVICE

DET1973

I Play Hardcore Punk in the styles of Madball, Sick of it all, Terror, Strife. I have been playing one of my Slash Sig Jubilees and i am considering moving on to something heavier with more saturation. Here is the list of what i'm interested in.

1. Older 2 Channel Recto/Rackto

2. Newer Dual Recto Multi Watt/Roadster

3. Splawn Nitro

4. Bogner Uber

5. 5150III

6. Soldano Avenger

I'm looking for something with a bit more sag and gain than the marshall i have can provide. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Roadster. The only one I haven't played is the 2 channel Rackto, but the Roadster is my all time favourite amp out of every amp I've had so far.... shit my favourite Kemper profiles are Roadster ones.

None of the above.

I strongly recommend you pick up the mint Tremoverb 'mindseye' is currently selling in the Classifieds for $950. It's a fantastic amp, is more flexible than a 2-channel Dual Rec but still has all of the mojo of the original Dual Rec's.

The Roadster is not a bad option either, but if you don't need 4 channels, I still say get that T-Verb before it's gone.

rlord1974":7dv7nwnd said:
None of the above.

I strongly recommend you pick up the mint Tremoverb 'mindseye' is currently selling in the Classifieds for $950. It's a fantastic amp, is more flexible than a 2-channel Dual Rec but still has all of the mojo of the original Dual Rec's.

The Roadster is not a bad option either, but if you don't need 4 channels, I still say get that T-Verb before it's gone.

I'd love to but i don't have any money at the moment.

I dig the bands you have listed and have been into them for years and years...I love the guitar tone on the Madball records especially Set It Off and DMS. Have you ever tried boosting your Jube? I have one and boosted it gets nice and saturated. I love that amp!

killertone":38izgv5b said:
I dig the bands you have listed and have been into them for years and years...I love the guitar tone on the Madball records especially Set It Off and DMS. Have you ever tried boosting your Jube? I have one and boosted it gets nice and saturated. I love that amp!

BINGO!

killertone":3pp7380w said:

I have tried boosting it, maybe i just need to spend more time with it. i'm friends with the guys in madball and i know what they use and have used for the albums mentioned. when matt henderson was the guitar player they used a Mesa Mark IV and on later recordings where matt was playing guitar it was a Rackto. Now Mitts uses a Mesa 2:90 and an Older Pod Pro mixed with the orange channel of a recto. His Pod Pro tone is said to be based off of the Soldano SLO.

killertone":3ltgjtcz said:

I'm trying to get my Gallops and chugs to be more meaty/saturated. Kinda like your evil pumpkin videos or really any of the videos you've done. your tone is always amazing.

Man, save yourself some money on the Nitro and get a Splawn Super Comp with KT88's. It's the dirt channel of the Nitro. You don't need a clean channel.

JerEvil":xj49ke2o said:
Man, save yourself some money on the Nitro and get a Splawn Super Comp with KT88's. It's the dirt channel of the Nitro. You don't need a clean channel.

Th's what i was thinking too. I have 2 Jubilees that are identical so having something else to play through would be nice.

DET1973":1w09vgw0 said:
killertone":1w09vgw0 said:

I'm trying to get my Gallops and chugs to be more meaty/saturated. Kinda like your evil pumpkin videos or really any of the videos you've done. your tone is always amazing.

Thanks! I think you can do it with the Jube but it's always nice to have a bit of variety ampwise. If you get the Splawn (Nitro or SC) it will need a boost IMO to make the saturation happen.

Ever tried a Framus Cobra? That could get you there, too.

killertone":21dre61r said:
I 2nd, 3rd, and 4th this suggestion...I boost my jub and nothing I have had in here can knock it off it's perch...including the Aldrich I just got..but I'm keeping that too! I use a 7 band eq pedal and boost the mids, and a fulltone ocd with the gain off and level at noon. Sweet saturated Marshall-and they will always be a good investment..

When I think punk/hardcore I don't usually think Mesa as they are suited better for metal. Also, if you are use to the Marshall voicing and feel then you may not gel with a Mesa at first or even al all. Before you sell your slash sig try borrowing or playing through a few different amps you are interested in.

joepete77":230nufe6 said:
When I think punk/hardcore I don't usually think Mesa as they are suited better for metal. Also, if you are use to the Marshall voicing and feel then you may not gel with a Mesa at first or even al all. Before you sell your slash sig try borrowing or playing through a few different amps you are interested in.

Lots of punk/hardcore bands use mesa actually all the bands i listed i my first post use dual or triple rectos. I used to own 2 Racktifiers a long time ago and sold them cause i was bored with them and always wanted a jubilee....then some how i ended up with 2 identical Jubilees.

joepete77":hqfh64sj said:

Pete from Sick Of It All, the best hardcore band ever, IMO, uses a Dual Rec and it works extremely well for him. I think he's been using one since the early 90s, IIRC.

killertone":3dfa9lnl said:
joepete77":3dfa9lnl said:

Pete from Sick Of It All, the best hardcore band ever, IMO, uses a Dual Rec and it works extremely well for him. I think he's been using one since the early 90s, IIRC.

He uses the 5150II now. I've talked to him before and his wife who i believe is his guitar tech.

killertone":rd1cfpmm said:
Crazy. He used a DR for a looooong time.

he still has them he has 2 racktifiers as well. after that he spent a short time using a mesa 2:90 and a older pod pro. i have a bunch of pics from when he was on tour using the pod pro. Jason have you ever heard the song Addiction by Agnostic front? that's the tone i'm looking for.

I like the 2 channel rectos but for playing live I'd probably want the roadster bc of all the channels/versatility. Then again from all the bands you listed you probably don't need a whole lot of versatility. 1-2 sounds is prob all you need.

Back