Need help

MrSauce85

Ok, let me start off by saying I'm brand new here and this is my first time doing this sort of thing but I'm really in need of help, any kind of feedback would be appreciated. The opportunity to purchase my first tube amp is coming up, I've been playing for 13 years and in that time I've been confined to playing on mostly less than decent solid state practice combos. I've already purchased a Mesa 2 x12 compact cabinet and now I'm looking for a head to go with it..... But my problem is this, it is absolutely crucial that whatever I get can be played at bedroom volumes, I'm strictly a bedroom Jammer with a wife and five children.

I have looked at Mesa, Orange, diezel, Bogner, ENGL, Peavey, Blackstar and the EVH 5150 iii line. I'm looking for a good high gain metal tone ( everything from stuff like Cannibal Corpse to the newer stuff like all that remains, born of Osiris and on into the heavier Deathcore scene.....don't hate me, it just sounds good to me) my budget is in the neighborhood of $3,700 so funds are pretty flexible. So far, I'm really liking the diezel d-moll and leaning towards it but I also like the orange rockerverb MkIII and the Dual Dark 100 because they have a built-in attenuator, I also hear that the 5150 III sounds really good at bedroom volumes too. I know that high wattage tube amplifiers aren't ideal for bedroom use but I think after spending as much time with crappy solid state amps as I have, they can't sound any worse... Plus I plan to use a boost with whatever I get also. So, if anybody out there can give me some pointers or advice it would be much appreciated.

P.s. I don't really have the opportunity to try out too many of these amps for myself because the guitar stores in my area don't carry half of the things that I'm looking for which is why I've really been relying on is the internet which I have scoured repeatedly in search of this information (forums, video clips, Etc)

That was one of the first things I looked at but not only do I hear they're terrible for bedroom use, I don't do used gear. I have an opportunity to get really high end gear. The wife actually approved this so I'm not going to pass it up, not to mention, with me working like I am right now a vacation would be very welcome but simply isn't going to happen right now.

With the budget you have, I would get you dream amp and add a Fryette PowerStation to it. This way all of the amps you want can be used at bedroom volumes. I'll leave the high gain amp opinions up to the experts on here.

You really should consider used. Amps like the Diezel Dmoll are pretty bulletproof and can be had for $2k used,and IMO sound great at apartment levels. I think it would be a great amp for you,the mid cut(like the Herbert)will get you that super brootalz death tone...and since you're doing the "alone at home" thing,you don't need to worry about cutting thru in a band mix.

You could do any of the amps you mentioned,but if the Diezel is what you are wanting(and you have the ok from the warden to make a one time purchase),why get something that will do just because it's cheaper?

Where are you located? We are legion,and everywhere. Maybe one of us is close enough for you to get a chance to try some stuff before you commit. Good luck with the new amp,hoping you find what you have been dreaming about.

Ps, give the wifey a big smooch and thank her for letting you get a new amp.

At $3700 you have a gazillion choices. Are you able to go out and play the ones you are considering? If so.. go do that.

Id look at ENGL Invader (CH3 is METAL), mesa JP2C+, EVH 5150 stealth, and the diezels you are considering. I've never tried a diezel but have tried the others. For balls out metal I liked the Invader the best (I owned one for a while.. the others I just tried in stores.)

But if the Diezel is what you want.. go for it!

I would look at a vintage 2C+ to go with your Mesa v30 cab. It can do low volumes very well imo, although it sounds best cranked like any other quality tube amp. Or the JP2C but if you can afford the real thing go for it.

Bro, buy Steve K's Fortin Bones. That amp will do anything you want.

It is used but I mean, I only buy used. The only reason IMO to buy new is to support the builders which is GREAT and I wish I could do that but I just do not have that kind of money.

You really do have TONS of options with that kind of cash as others have said. Some great recommendations here and almost any of these amps can get you where you want to be.

I also disagree with most people and say I have had a few high gainers like my Rev 2 and VHT. Sure they sound better at a higher volume but I also get great tones at bedroom levels.

If it were me idk what I would do. I would most likely by the Fortin Bones. Otherwise I agree with some others here:

Kemper/Axe FX
Mark 2c+
EVH STEALTH
VHT Pitbull
SLO
KSR Ares

tons and tons of options. For bedroom use you could even get a sick combo. The Kemper might be the best option for you or anyone who only plans to use it at home and needs volume control.

For your price point you could get a Powered Kemper Rack and some top of the line monitors.

Another amp you might consider is the new Marshall 2555x jubilee reissue. Great with v30s, and great at low volumes with metal tones available when boosted.

Thanks everyone, and yes I have considered the Kemper powered version but I really wanted to get a tube amp as I've never had one before although the Kemper does sound really good from the clips I've watched, the difference is barely noticeable. But as of right now I'm really leaning toward the diezel d-moll. For a while I was just going to go with the evh 5153 and the fireball 100 but then I came across the diezel d-moll and heard it sounds better for what I'm needing

Also, because I'm new here I don't know how to reply to each one of you individually...but to those that mentioned the Mesa JPC, I was considering the Mark V but from what I've read, Mesa Boogie are notorious for needing volume to get their sound...

rottingcorpse":36ci1cpq said:
You really should consider used. Amps like the Diezel Dmoll are pretty bulletproof and can be had for $2k used,and IMO sound great at apartment levels. I think it would be a great amp for you,the mid cut(like the Herbert)will get you that super brootalz death tone...and since you're doing the "alone at home" thing,you don't need to worry about cutting thru in a band mix.

You could do any of the amps you mentioned,but if the Diezel is what you are wanting(and you have the ok from the warden to make a one time purchase),why get something that will do just because it's cheaper?

Where are you located? We are legion,and everywhere. Maybe one of us is close enough for you to get a chance to try some stuff before you commit. Good luck with the new amp,hoping you find what you have been dreaming about.

Lol well, I tried to reply to rotting corpse...apparently I still don't know how but to to him, thanks. And I live in Texas btw.

How about a Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister deluxe, well within your budget, goes down to 1 watt or even silent recording, can easily go into metal and has a ton of features including tube biasing and tube protection, handy for your first time with a tube amp.

rottingcorpse":n23newqe said:

I have to side with rottingcorpse on this one. I bought 3 heads here on RT. Diezels - VH4 and a Herbert. The third was a bogner uberschall. All were in perfect shape. The crew around here really takes care of their gear. Did you check out the Diezel Paul? FWIW...my choice at the moment is a Mesa MKIV. Great, Great amp even at the bedroom levels.

halebox":38qfhrbm said:
Used 5150 for $700 and take the family on a trip with the rest
100% after spending thousands on all sorts of high end amps....the 5150 can hang with them all I dont care what anyone here says, and most likely the bands you are listing used them on those recordings ...and you wont give a shit when you put your beers on it or bang it around at gigs..trust me save your $ and buy another guitar..also the d-moll is no where as good for the stuff you mentioned and yes I had one...it gets buried in the mix sooo bad imo

Back