Need some info on this Marshall

jkkkjkhk

So at the Tampa Guitar Center we have a nice vintage JCM800, only problem is it doesn't look like any other JCM800 I've seen before. After some googling I found it's a JCM800 1959, lead master. What I can't figure out though is, is it a JCM800 or a 1959? It's a non master volume, 100 watt, and has the 4 inputs which make me think 1959SLP but then it says JCM800 with the 2203 look so I'm confused.
Here's some pics.

USED_368.jpg

USED_369.jpg

USED_370.jpg

USED_371.jpg

USED_372.jpg

USED_373.jpg

USED_375.jpg

We have it marked at $1200 and I have no idea if that's a good price. I've seen JCM800's (2203 and 2204's) as low as $800 but average around $1000-1200 but SLP's a little higher. This though I have no idea. I played through it a little bit and it sounds great. Couldn't really touch the volume without destroying my ears but even with both volumes at 0 (still too loud for most apartments) it was a great smooth tone. Boosted it with a TS9 and it was a nice blues tone. For a minute we turned the volume to about .3 (damn near painfully loud :LOL: :LOL: ) and it started to roar, can't even imagine how amazing it'd sound cranked. Also tried to find a date and what I can find it seems the X at the beginning of the serial means it's an '89, is that correct?

I'm bringing my rivera attenuator in a few days to try it again.

I'm looking for a good candidate to get the snorkeler mod but if this is something very unique or rare I'd rather leave it be and get a 2203/2204 which are much easier to find. But so can anyone give me some info one this? What exactly is it? What's a good price?
Thanks

It's a Marshall JCM 800 SLP...No master volume...4 inputs..

jkkkjkhk":6mm6k3b0 said:
We have it marked at $1200 What's a good price?
Thanks

Honestly thats pretty fucked up to expect Rig Talk to do retail appraisals for guitar center. It is worth whatever someone will pay for it. Do your research or have the company do their job.

I will say that of the 4 years i have been on this forum, that is only the second one i have seen pop up.

glpg80":2jgrg4fr said:
jkkkjkhk":2jgrg4fr said:
Thanks

Honestly thats pretty fucked up to expect Rig Talk to do retail appraisals for guitar center. It is worth whatever someone will pay for it. Do your research or have the company do their job.

I will say that of the 4 years i have been on this forum, that is only the second one i have seen pop up.

Yeah they need to look into stuff better before they buy it and mark it, I've seen some REALLY stupid buy-ins. I'm not asking what to mark it at, that's not my department. I'm looking at possibly buying it and don't know if it's a crazy price or not. For all the stupid shit we have to deal with, on top of very lousy pay we still don't get any discount on used gear. We've had it for about 6 months and they'll only discount it for customers. :thumbsdown:

But so it's a JCM800 then? Excuse my ignorance cause Marshall's definitely aren't my area of expertise. There's much different between a 1959SLP and a JCM800 besides the master volume and 4 inputs, correct?

The perfect donor amp for some of the more complex, 2 channel mods. Loads of real estate in the JCM chassis for a couple of extra preamp tubes, loop, rear EQ, external bias and all the other goodies.

jkkkjkhk":tfqryh0g said:
glpg80":tfqryh0g said:
jkkkjkhk":tfqryh0g said:
Thanks

Yeah they need to look into stuff better before they buy it and mark it, I've seen some REALLY stupid buy-ins. I'm not asking what to mark it at, that's not my department. I'm looking at possibly buying it and don't know if it's a crazy price or not. For all the stupid shit we have to deal with, on top of very lousy pay we still don't get any discount on used gear. We've had it for about 6 months and they'll only discount it for customers. :thumbsdown:

But so it's a JCM800 then? Excuse my ignorance cause Marshall's definitely aren't my area of expertise. There's much different between a 1959SLP and a JCM800 besides the master volume and 4 inputs, correct?
They just called it a JCM800 for marketing reasons. It's the same circuit as a 1959 SLP.

Here's the 50w version on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Marshal ... 564b6dcfa0

Its basically a rare setup where the 1959 circuit was offered in the JCM800 chassis - it was for a limited number. There exists topics on the history of this and why already - just search for 4 hole input JCM 800 and you should get some hits.

As far as the price goes most 1959's were going for cheap but are now going back up on the rise - not uncommon to see 1200 on the used market. Especially the non-molested amps, if you purchase this with the intentions to install a master volume or other modifications i would just look elsewhere - these chassis are very hard to find and would be worth way more un-touched than with modifications. Get a reissue in the classifieds instead.

Jcm 800 was a series of different amps much like Jcm 2000 series with dsl and tsl amps. 800 series had 2203/2204 2205 4010 and even had a solid state 800 for a short time I believe. These 4 hole amps were the old 1959/1987 series just like the jmp amps from yrs before but the cosmetics were updated jcm800 style. They also made superbass 800's for the 1990/1986 bass circuit. I would say 1000 is a good price and they are good mod platforms and are pretty rare as not many wanted non MV amps in the 80's.

Thanks for all the help guys, seems like a pretty cool amp. Guess I'll have to think about it. If it's unique I don't want to go modding it but that really was my initial intentions so not quite sure. I'd love to have it along with a 2203 to mod but we can't have everything.

Again thanks for the help

steve_k":2hzt36ol said:
It's not unique. Where is it located, again?
Tampa, FL. I'd like to get some gutshots but they're even less friendly/helpful when you're an employee. If a customer asked for some it'd be no problem but if I ask then it's a big NO. If I try to say it's for a customer they want a name, phone number... and all that BS. Ends up being more work than it's worth.

I think I may just keep my eyes open for a 2203 or 2204. I think I'm getting a 2nd Mesa Mark III shortly so I may put one up for trade.

Back