New Cab Day

dstroud

so in August my band played the Whisky - I use my SD-1>Blankenship Masterplex and they usually have Blackstar cabs which are ok. But this show was with Winger and they rented a whole backline, which had Marshall 1960A cabs. It had been a long time since I played a 1960A cab - I thought it sounded fantastic. It kinda haunted me lol cause I don’t have one. So I saw a really nice one on GC used site for $515 and pulled the trigger. Got it today - call me crazy but I think I like it better than my 1960BX cab!!!

Could be just ear fatigue from the V30's all that time. The T75's are a breath of fresh air when you make the switch. I wouldn't want to be without either speaker in my arsenal these days. Congrats on the good score btw! That price is hard to come by anymore it seems.

Could be just ear fatigue from the V30's all that time. The T75's are a breath of fresh air when you make the switch. I wouldn't want to be without either speaker in my arsenal these days. Congrats on the good score btw! That price is hard to come by anymore it seems.
thanks man!! yeah price seemed good. The 1960bx has greenbacks, the 75s seem easier to record

Congrats on the cab. They are the standard. Singer I play with has A and B cabs and I use the A cab, not a fan of straight cabs. Not a huge fan of the 75’s either it usually takes about half the practice to find a setting that is ok. Some do great with them though.
GB’s sound good in the room, hate recording with them though.

I have a couple JCM900 1960A cabs with UK 75s. One I put Mesa V30s in an X pattern. They both sound great. Congrats on the score!!

so in August my band played the Whisky - I use my SD-1>Blankenship Masterplex and they usually have Blackstar cabs which are ok. But this show was with Winger and they rented a whole backline, which had Marshall 1960A cabs. It had been a long time since I played a 1960A cab - I thought it sounded fantastic. It kinda haunted me lol cause I don’t have one. So I saw a really nice one on GC used site for $515 and pulled the trigger. Got it today - call me crazy but I think I like it better than my 1960BX cab!!!
Congrats!

It's been awhile since I had a T75 cab...last one was a 1983 with the vented versions which are great. But sold it. Last summer, I saw what I thought was an early 70s Pulsonic cab, 600$....GC.com....figured why not...got it, and it's actually from 1988 and went with the first Plexi reissue heads. Has the white label 75s, 2nd version 75s after the vented ones. Man, this cab is killer and LOVES my 1972 50w head. YJM uses 75s and now I can see why. It's a killer cab, glad I bought it. It's a slant as well...I could never freaking hear myself if I ever gigged with straight cabs so it's always slants for me.

Attachments

• 72377913562__DAEAF085-C4E2-49E9-A536-733ACA2DD57F.jpeg
    72377913562__DAEAF085-C4E2-49E9-A536-733ACA2DD57F.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 23
I can't remember if I have ever had a T75 loaded cab. Will see if I can find one locally for cheap. Have been all Greenbacks for years now. For me, Greenbacks sound better in the room but V30's record easier. This is a broad statement made by me and recording with a phone sitting on a chair so that probably means nothing!

You know what? In a world of boutique cabs and ridiculous speaker prices, I've always thought a good ol fashioned G-75 1960 loaded cab just brings the goods. Especially when broken in. I think the magic is from the fact that 75's are slightly scooped and in a live setting where you get mid and bass bloat, they help cut. Most of our rooms aren't treated spaces either so these sound great. I too am always on the lookout for one cheap but more and more i am seeing 70/80's in Marshall cabs. That feels like a jip.

Besides that, G12-65's, and RI Greenbacks tick the boxes for me.

I don't find Greenbacks hard to record. The usual "where the dustcap meets the cone" sweet spot as V30's is a great starting point. They're not EQ'd like V30's, so you can't expect the same amp settings to work, but they're not as radically different from a V30 as a T-75 is either.

I actually find T-75's harder to record because their dustcap is not the same diameter. But I heard people usually point the mic just directly to the center of the dustcap, so I gues they're not THAT hard to record either.

I don't find Greenbacks hard to record. The usual "where the dustcap meets the cone" sweet spot as V30's is a great starting point. They're not EQ'd like V30's, so you can't expect the same amp settings to work, but they're not as radically different from a V30 as a T-75 is either.

I actually find T-75's harder to record because their dustcap is not the same diameter. But I heard people usually point the mic just directly to the center of the dustcap, so I gues they're not THAT hard to record either.
I have the white label T-75's and think they're killer, but I also find them a little more finicky with mic positioning than a V30. I find mic movements on a 75 elicit a much greater change than similar mic movements on a V30.

I've heard about the center mic'ing too, but haven't messed with it. I need to give it shot. I usually end up towards the edge of the voice coil. You need a brighter flashlight to see it through the dustup.

Back