New Edwards Guitar Day

dave_mc

My Edwards E-LP-98LTS (Lacquer Taste Series) came in on Monday. Here’s a quick review and some pics.

It was extremely well packaged. There were a couple of knocks on the outside, but they didn’t seem to make it through to the guitar. Enough bubble-wrap that I could start a business selling it.

Anyway, it made it here safely from Japan- 2 days from Japan to England, and then about another 5 days to Northern Ireland (though to be fair there was a weekend in there).

Anyway, basically it’s great. Plays well, and sounds really good. Very resonant unplugged tone too. I tried a gibson les paul classic antique (whatever the heck it's called) about a week or two ago, they were looking almost £1200 ($2400). This. Is. Nicer. For between 1/3-1/2 of the price (more like a quarter of the price if you're japanese... o_O). The only thing the Gibbo had on this Edwards was nicer electronics, and a nicer bridge pickup. Both of which are easily and inexpensively correctable, for much less than the price difference between the two.

It's not just as nice as that badass £1000 ($2000) Tokai relic I tried a week or two ago, but it's darn close. Closer to the Tokai than the Gibson, at any rate.

The Duncans actually sound good- the ‘59 is very nice, great vintage tone, though it does struggle a little when the gain gets well up, while the JB sounds better than I’ve heard in most other guitars. It’s still bright, and way too hot (for this style of guitar), but it’s usable… its problem is it has two settings, “scream” and “scream harder”… I suspect the pickup covers are helping to tame them a little too.
But yeah, I’m in no rush to upgrade. Not to say I couldn’t get better, but it wouldn’t be the best use of my available (and shrinking :LOL: :LOL: ) funds.

Just so this doesn’t appear to be a fanboi review, here are some negatives:

- cheapest looking gig bag ever. My £12 stagg jobby looks like a bespoke version compared to it.

- strap buttons are very small. To be honest, I’m a bit wary of playing at home with it strapped on, let alone a gig.

- the tone and volume pots could do with being upgraded.

-the aging is very rudimentary. It looks like they’ve just put orange paint over the binding at the sides, while leaving it as it is on the top (you can kinda see this on the close-up of the neck). I’m biased because I don’t like aging or relicing at all, but this probably wouldn’t fool anyone. Also, from what i hear, if i take the stickers off the humbuckers, they aren't aged underneath, so there's a rectangle of unaged pickup. o_O also the aged binding just looks like it's been painted- and it's only painted at the side, so along the top it's white, and it actually goes along the side of the nut too. o_O
If you ask me, it'd have been cheaper, and looked better, if they didn't bother.

- the setup was good, but the bridge is a bit high on the bass side, and I don’t think they stretched the strings too well, as they didn’t hold tune well for the first day. But it’s fine now. Bending behind the nut whacks it out of tune, but there’s so little room there, it’s not really a useful technique anyway, you can barely bend up a semitone…

- you can see a little of the maple in the cutaway- the binding should have covered that, I thought. You can see it vaguely in one of the pics. Also it’s not the best book matching job (on the veneer) that I’ve ever seen. Not horrible, but not amazing either. It’s definitely off by a millimetre or two. EDIT: according to the good people over at HC, the maple binding thing is vintage-correct, and not a problem. I'm just stupid.

-I still suck royally at taking pics.

Anyway, obviously none of these are deal breakers, especially when it plays and sounds as good as this, but it’s just to let you know.

Anyway, it’s great, plays really well, appears to be one-piece mahogany back and neck, good quality rosewood (Indian I presume, but very nice Indian rosewood), quality fretwork etc. etc. Sounds very resonant unplugged, and sounds great plugged in. Very versatile, though obviously if you want single coil tones you’re kinda out of luck. But it does most humbucker tones, from clean through to modern, really well. Loses a little tightness for the really modern stuff, but still usable.

I’d buy another one (or at least, a different model, and I probably will before long).

I think I worked out that with postage and customs it came to about £500 ($1000)... If you’re somewhere where there aren’t customs charges, that’d be more like £400 ($800). I know in the UK, it’s excellent value. So, er, yeah. I’m extremely happy. I got to try a second hand Edwards les paul double-cut with p90’s a while back, so I wasn’t buying just as blind as some others were, but if anything, mine is nicer.

Anyway, some pics (yes, my pic-taking technique sucks, I’m a guitarist, not a photographer:)

RIMG0460-1.jpg

(worst gig-bag ever)

RIMG0461-1.jpg

RIMG0462-1.jpg

RIMG0463-1.jpg

RIMG0465-1.jpg

(an arty one for good measure)

RIMG0467-1.jpg

(close up)

RIMG0466-1.jpg

(you can kinda see the maple not totally covered with the binding. Hard to see, but I tried)

RIMG0464-1.jpg

(Dodgy aging, notice how it’s cream on the front and orange on the side)

Seriously. Buy one.

:thumbsup:

Sweet guitar!!!

BTW, don't sweat the binding not covering the maple...most Gibson Les Pauls have that trait, too. The maple is beveled right there, the binding is the same width around the whole guitar...it has to leave a little exposed. :thumbsup:

Werd, good review... One thing I wanted to check with new Edwards owners... Does yours feel a bit lighter than the Gibbys you've played? I'm just seriously wondering if I got the light one of the batch, or if they're all like that. I've tested myself and a couple of people, but if you hold one in each hand, you can tell the Edwards is lighter.

Not trying to be anal, just didn't want a chambered body and all. I haven't switched out the PUs yet, so I haven't gotten to see if, apples-to-apples, it still sounds different.

Only reason I'm so curious on the matter is, if I could get the feel and sound that I get out of my Studio I've had for years, I'd switch over to Edwards entirely.

nbarts":44749 said:
You should have gotten E-LP-98LTC instead of E-LP-98LTS. Much better IMO.

why?

i'm not much fussed on the looks of customs (other than their p90 version, which looks badass)...

any reason why? if it's just looks, i prefer this one, but if you know something I don't...

StevieRaveOn":44749 said:
Werd, good review... One thing I wanted to check with new Edwards owners... Does yours feel a bit lighter than the Gibbys you've played? I'm just seriously wondering if I got the light one of the batch, or if they're all like that. I've tested myself and a couple of people, but if you hold one in each hand, you can tell the Edwards is lighter.

Not trying to be anal, just didn't want a chambered body and all. I haven't switched out the PUs yet, so I haven't gotten to see if, apples-to-apples, it still sounds different.

Only reason I'm so curious on the matter is, if I could get the feel and sound that I get out of my Studio I've had for years, I'd switch over to Edwards entirely.

i'm probably not the right person to ask, as I don't have any gibsons here... it feels heavy enough to be substantial, but not back-breaking. it's heavier than my alder bolt-on kramer superstrat, and i guess it's a similar weight, perhaps slightly heavier, than my mahogany and maple legra V.

Not really scientific, I know. I know they're claimed not to be chambered, but I don't know if I could tell the difference solely from acoustics.

EDIT: did you like it, shreder?

StevieRaveOn":cc717 said:

New Gibsons are actually lighter than Edwards. Older Gibsons are probably heavier.

Edwards do sound different than Gibbis, better IMO, although I like to have Gibson tone sometimes, so I'm thinking of adding a Gibby to my line of Edwards.

I'd be very interested to see what your thoughts are after you change PUs, are you going to put Gibson PUs in it?

why?

i'm not much fussed on the looks of customs (other than their p90 version, which looks badass)...

any reason why? if it's just looks, i prefer this one, but if you know something I don't...

Better playability IMO.

But I wouldn't feel bad playing the one you got too :thumbsup:
That's a nice guitar man, the more I play them, the more I like them & recorded tone with Herbert kicks ass big time.

I have to say I like another SH-1 in the bridge instead of stock SH4.

nbarts":79789 said:
Better playability IMO.

But I wouldn't feel bad playing the one you got too :thumbsup:
That's a nice guitar man, the more I play them, the more I like them & recorded tone with Herbert kicks ass big time.

I have to say I like another SH-1 in the bridge instead of stock SH4.

yeah, another sh1 would have been a better call i think. being in the UK, things like bareknuckles, bulldogs or even swinesheads are better value than duncans, but if a nicer bridge pickup had come stock (as nice as the neck one at any rate), there'd really be no need to upgrade, unless you had more money than you knew what to do with...

do you put the better playability down to the ebony? or do you just think it's better quality all-round? I like ebony, but i like the warmth of rosewood on a LP too... i kinda went with tone over playability on this one (not that i dislike ebony's tone, just on a LP standard rosewood is more "correct")...

yeah, another sh1 would have been a better call i think. being in the UK, things like bareknuckles, bulldogs or even swinesheads are better value than duncans, but if a nicer bridge pickup had come stock (as nice as the neck one at any rate), there'd really be no need to upgrade, unless you had more money than you knew what to do with...

do you put the better playability down to the ebony? or do you just think it's better quality all-round? I like ebony, but i like the warmth of rosewood on a LP too... i kinda went with tone over playability on this one (not that i dislike ebony's tone, just on a LP standard rosewood is more "correct")...

Yea actually I thing their strategy of SH1/SH4 in all of their guitars is dumb. I don't know why would I need anything hotter than SH1 anyway & that's when I play metal. If I need to have tubes roaring I'll just use EMGs. Good amp makes SH1 scream alright too. :D SH4 - thin sound, I hate all these hi-gain PUs they make.

"better quality all-round" is what my experience was, but.... they vary from guitar to guitar like with any other brand & I've played only one LTS, so there is a great possibility that it was that particular guitar.

My Hamer has '59s at both positions and they rock. I can turn the gain down and get a killer classic rock jangle, turn down the treble for some doom action, up the gain and go metal, altogether a very versatile pickup, you're amp just has to do a little more work on the high gain settings.

And I think Dave's Engl can swing it.

Congrats, Eds are really cool and def better than non-cst shop Gibsons.

About the weight: I will ask a friend to shoot an X-ray of mine, a LPC, which is weighted 4 kilos, perfect for a good Lester and my guess is that there's nothing chambered - its just mahogany which is a tad lighter, maybe even dryer. My '76 weighted more than 5 kilos, a pain . . . my LP Pro Deluxe about 5, my Heritage Gary Moore model around the same as this (not a bad reference at all ;) ) . . . .

I have replaced the pickups in my gift with an Alnico 2 by german brand called Rockinger and a Duncan Distortion (I need the Sykes vibes). Perfect axe for me.

And I was stumbling over a nice lemonburst Ed on egay today and while I was still calculating with the currencies some motherfucker got it. I could kill this asshole :cry: :gethim:

Edwards are the shit for axes under 1000 Dollars IMO. Including upgrades of course :D

cheers, guys!

don't get me wrong, I like high gain pickups... just the JB is very high gain, and i'd prefer a more vintage vibe from this one. Plus as mudder says, my engl could swing it... :D

I think the custom is well down my list... i wouldn't mind one eventually, but there are a bunch of others I'd like to get first.

I haven't been able to try the non-LTS series... but based on what i've heard, and the cool feel and vibe of the LTS ones, I'll be sticking to LTS unless there happens to be a model which just isn't available in the LTS series (and there are a few like that, unfortunately).

also, it's worth bearing in mind that a gibson LP standard here goes for about $3000. I suspect you wouldn't get a custom shop gibby here for much less than £2000, maybe £2500 ($5000). It's ridiculous. I haven't tried any CS gibsons (shops here suck), but I'd put my eddie up against any of the standard US gibsons, it'd certainly hold its own, if not be noticeably better than many I've tried...

EDIT: oh and I think it's nicer than the cheapest MIJ tokais I've tried. I did try a dearer one (the one I mentioned in my opening post), but it was twice what my eddie cost. The cheapest MIJ tokais here, unless you're lucky, are actually dearer than my edwards was, slightly. And don't have as nice pickups (nor are just as nice guitars, though some of that is doubtless preference with the neck profile etc.).

Back