New GNR : what you all think

Very disappointing to put it nicely. Did Izzy write all the AFD hits or something? I like some of the songs Slash has done with Miles. This is maybe to hide someone that can't sing anymore? I mean WTF....

Kinda surprised at all the people who are surprised at how this sounds.

It's pretty well known that all the songs GNR have been putting out since 2021 were written and recorded in the late 90s/early 00s during production of Chinese Democracy.

For example, what was released in 2021 as "Absurd" - the first release with Slash and Duff since 1994 - was first played live in 2001 as "Silkworms":

The General in particular has been buzzed about for almost 20 years for being a very heavy, dark song song - it's Axl's response to his abusive father and stepfather.

Those drums sound sequenced. I wonder how much of this is truly a band effort, versus primarily Axl trying to orchestrate everything? I'd love to see them do the straight-ahead rock thing that seemed to be their strength.
Ok... so I choked down that whole song. I can't believe that Slash had any input on that song. He solo stuff sounds like GNR Slash. This didn't even sound like GNR.
Very disappointing to put it nicely. Did Izzy write all the AFD hits or something? I like some of the songs Slash has done with Miles. This is maybe to hide someone that can't sing anymore? I mean WTF....

On these tracks Slash and Duff are essentially session players who get an obligatory writing credit.

I can’t believe someone didn’t say “this one sucks guys” before they released that trash.
Bob Ezrin did.

In around 1999/2000 the label brought Ezrin in to get Chinese Democracy back on track. When he got to the studio he found everyone sat around the entire day, on the clock, waiting for Axl to show up, who would come in after midnight. The band would jam and record ideas, and Axl would work on them in Pro Tools.

Ezrin told the label to tell Axl, he will do this if he wants but only on the condition that Axl works with him. Axl agreed and was enthusiastic about the partnership. Ezrin listened to the rough mixes and came to a pretty damning conclusion.... they had maybe three songs worth releasing. When he was finally able to speak to Axl, he told him so. He said the original ideas had been rerecorded and labored over for so long they had lost all meaning. Axl disagreed and felt they were ready to mix. Ezrin told him that if he wanted to work with him he has his number, and left. He never heard from Axl again.

In the aftermath Axl felt his confidence was crushed and he started recording the whole album again from scratch, and again after. Bassist Tommy Stinson said the album was recorded in full at least three times. Most of the songs that ended up on the album, released in 2008, had already been written and recorded by 1999.

the converters in my mind are playing this back as if it was 1988 guns, and hearing it like that i quite like it lol.

Interesting I’ll give it that but probably won’t be listening to it many more times. They’ve got some demos from the AFD and UYI eras they could dust off but I guess that’s not Axl’s style. Shadow Of Your Love was released as a B side in ‘87 and the updated version from a few years ago is pretty cool

Back