New house, new room, new mixes. Jeff loomis: rev F, Rhodes colossus

VESmedic

I finally got settled into my new house, but my room is still a work in progress. I will say, it sounds worlds better than my old room already, which is exciting. I could talk for hours about that, and learning about the science of acoustics I’m trying to learn the best I can, but I’m excited about it! I can hear low end much better already, which is fantastic. Bought some new 500 series gear, and a new argosy desk, which is absolutely killer. ANYWAYS:

Shouting fire at a funeral. Tracks were completely raw, mixed by yours truly. No samples, no superior drummer etc. bass is parallax, among other things. Guitars;

Rhythms: rev F, Mesa OS cab, uni 57 ( big shocker here, I know)

Leads: Rhodes colossus, same cab and mic setup.

Acoustics: not sure on the guitar, but it was dual mic’d with a Neumann TLM 103 and something else, sounds incredible though, albeit maybe slightly too low in the mix. Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/zX6xztBnfkZ4t9aM7

Lana Rhodes Colossus 🥲

Lol just kidding, enjoy your new gear and remember get those analyzed by @TheToneDig ! 🤖
That EVH thread had me laughing vodka out of my nose.

Anyways, tones sound awesome man. Funny how those scientific experts who write books with peer-reviewed sources like youtube never post any of their tones. :unsure:
I'm happy how that thread turned out. :D I will also make a Cameron thread when the year changes. :LOL::LOL:

Plot twist: this is actually a profile of an 8 watt fender champ turned up to 10 with a 90 volt varied designed to bring down the volume by 3db, with an eq in its non existent loop to bring back low frequencies that are just going to be taken out of the mix anyways. The bass was also on zero.
Wait a DAMN Minute Mister! you told me that was a Gorilla Full Stack total wattage was somewhere around 6 1/2. you also mentioned you used an Arion Metalmaster pedal for the crushing mids & throaty distortion. it's got more throaty mids than Mia Khalifa. Didn't you tell me when we spoke on our Nextel call that This is the sound that Tonedig dug makes after he pounds pitchers of Redd's Apple Ale & goes to taco bell drunk & horny & proceeds to mouth fuck a chalupa? i could be wrong or maybe i dreamed the whole thing(too much melatonin) DISCLAIMER: NO Tonedicks were harmed in the making of this post.

Wait a DAMN Minute Mister! you told me that was a Gorilla Full Stack total wattage was somewhere around 6 1/2. you also mentioned you used an Arion Metalmaster pedal for the crushing mids & throaty distortion. it's got more throaty mids than Mia Khalifa. Didn't you tell me when we spoke on our Nextel call that This is the sound that Tonedig dug makes after he pounds pitchers of Redd's Apple Ale & goes to taco bell drunk & horny & proceeds to mouth fuck a chalupa? i could be wrong or maybe i dreamed the whole thing(too much melatonin) DISCLAIMER: NO Tonedicks were harmed in the making of this post.
I. DEMAND. SOURCES!

images.png

Plot twist: this is actually a profile of an 8 watt fender champ turned up to 10 with a 90 volt varied designed to bring down the volume by 3db, with an eq in its non existent loop to bring back low frequencies that are just going to be taken out of the mix anyways. The bass was also on zero.
I could actually tell that from the first note ( I learned how to in a book somewhere :unsure:). You're using the wrong value pot for the bass if you're going to keep it on zero though.:cool:

This is why I come here. Bravo gentleman. What you guys fail to realize is, I didn’t write a book on this, nor have any of you. Come back and talk to me when you are on that level guys.
Im sure Voldemort can convincingly tone match my recent larry clips or your collossus/recto clips with a DSL20 or Mini Recto - its all just post EQ and getting the right IR, after all.

I wouldn't know how simple and easy that it, for I have not written an amazon tome on bedroom recording.

Im sure Voldemort can convincingly tone match my recent larry clips or your collossus/recto clips with a DSL20 or Mini Recto - its all just post EQ and getting the right IR, after all.

I wouldn't know how simple and easy that it, for I have not written an amazon tome on bedroom recording.
Yeah just get a Behringer MiniMixer and route your mic'd DSL20 into that and it'll sound like Larry! :love:

Sounds great as always man. I like the width on the lead gtr, it doesn't sound chorusy or delayed. Spill the beans, what's your technique?

Sounds great, man. Drum-wise the snare is maybe a little too direct feeling during the melodic leads. Seems there's a bit of room for some more audible reverb on it during those passages that would add to the overall vibe. Guitars sound killer IMO. The Rhodes seems to fill in the empty space in the middle left by the Recto perfectly. All your clips of that Rev F are making me feel like I need more Mesa. I just got a JP2C and now I'm looking at Rectos which in the past I could never get on with.

Sounds great as always man. I like the width on the lead gtr, it doesn't sound chorusy or delayed. Spill the beans, what's your technique?

On the chorus leads? Simple: brainworks stereo maker :) thanks for noticing! I just played with it until it was almost “transparent” and not unnatural sounding, Atleast to my ears anyways, just wanted it to be wide but mot overly exaggerated. Soundtoys microshift is the king for shit like this but I’m having problems with my old computer and getting it to work properly unfortunately.

Back