New Landry G4 amp coming soon!

firejack

So I ordered another Landry LS50G3 a little while back and Bill Landry now has my amp on his workbench. Bill informed me that he can do the G3 for me, or he can do his new G4 version instead. After some back and forth of Bill demoing the G4 for me, I opted for the G4 with Bill's Dirty Clean Channel. Judging from the videos, the G4 sounds killer.

It's alive!!! Should arrive here in Australia in the next few weeks.

Attachments

• Gavin's G4 C.jpg
    Gavin's G4 C.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 55
I always liked Bills G3 amp so congrats...... :2thumbsup:

What revisions does the G4 amp have versus the G3?

I went to his YT channel to see an announcement about the G4 but he didn't have anything up.

I always liked Bills G3 amp so congrats...... :2thumbsup:

What revisions does the G4 amp have versus the G3?

I went to his YT channel to see an announcement about the G4 but he didn't have anything up.
Cheers HD. :)

I think mine is the first G4 to be sent out into the wild. Not sure how long Bill has been working on the G4. I got lucky that when my G3 build came up, Bill offered me the opportunity to have the G4 built instead. He sent me many vids during the build, but I'm not at liberty to share them. I believe Bill will post something official soon as he's very excited with how it's turned out.

From what I understand, the main revision is a different diode or set of diodes that Bill has come across. I also had Bill remove the Reverb control and move the Depth control to the front panel, and add Bias Adjust Controls to the rear panel.

For reference, I owned a G3 with the Pure Clean channel a while back and although I didn't bond with the Pure Clean channel, I loved the gain channels. I can hear a difference in the videos of the G4. It's mostly noticeable on single-note soloing. There's more of that wet, sticky, saggy sweetness that the great JCM800's had, and with really nice note clarity. It's hard to describe. Kind of more saggy and elastic sounding for leads, but still plenty tight when playing chords or chugging (sorry for the stupid tone descriptions; I'll post a vid when it gets here). In short, the new revisions sweeten the voicing of the overdrive.

I think mine is the first G4 to be sent out into the wild. Not sure how long Bill has been working on the G4. I got lucky that when my G3 build came up, Bill offered me the opportunity to have the G4 built instead. He sent me many vids during the build, but I'm not at liberty to share them. I believe Bill will post something official soon as he's very excited with how it's turned out.

From what I understand, the main revision is a different diode or set of diodes that Bill has come across. I also had Bill remove the Reverb control and move the Depth control to the front panel, and add Bias Adjust Controls to the rear panel.

For reference, I owned a G3 with the Pure Clean channel a while back and although I didn't bond with the Pure Clean channel, I loved the gain channels. I can hear a difference in the videos of the G4. It's mostly noticeable on single-note soloing. There's more of that wet, sticky, saggy sweetness that the great JCM800's had, and with really nice note clarity. It's hard to describe. Kind of more saggy and elastic sounding for leads, but still plenty tight when playing chords or chugging (sorry for the stupid tone descriptions; I'll post a vid when it gets here). In short, the new revisions sweeten the voicing of the overdrive.

Those are the exact changes I thought I'd want if I ever ordered a G3. Get rid of the digital reverb. Move depth to front. Bias on rear. Diode change sounds simple enough. Either different voltage zeners or asymmetrical values. Maybe different options on a switch or something. Landry amps always sounded good to me

Also your old Peters clips are what got me to order a couple of his amps years ago. Good stuff.

My amp was the First G4 #1. I was talking with Bill and asked him if he could make it more like a lexi and he liked it so much he said it will be the new G4. Mine has a plexi clean channel.

Nice amp !

Maybe Bogneresque like an XTC red Chanel but tighter?

Those are the exact changes I thought I'd want if I ever ordered a G3. Get rid of the digital reverb. Move depth to front. Bias on rear. Diode change sounds simple enough. Either different voltage zeners or asymmetrical values. Maybe different options on a switch or something. Landry amps always sounded good to me

Also your old Peters clips are what got me to order a couple of his amps years ago. Good stuff.
Hey mate how you been? :thumbsup:
Yeah man I remember we have the same taste in tone. Always searching for that particular growl. After a bit of amp flipping and sampling, I've found that the Landry G3/G4 comes closest to my tone experiences with my original Peters Gryphon from way back. It's not quite as rich or guttural as the Gryphon, but it's very close. The thing it does do better than the Gryphon is the sticky elastic Marshall lead tone. It'll be nice to have both in the stable again.

My amp was the First G4 #1. I was talking with Bill and asked him if he could make it more like a lexi and he liked it so much he said it will be the new G4. Mine has a plexi clean channel.

Nice amp !
Aha! Thanks for the clarification. How long ago was your build? I wonder if there are any more G4's out there.
Yeah I went with the Dirty Plexi Clean this time as well. I had a G3 a while ago and the reason why I flipped it was the Pure Clean Channel just didn't work for me. Do you agree with the tonal qualities of the G4? What's your take on it?

Here is a pic of my G4. Congrats
I do love that cosmetic. But I went all black to match with my cabs.

G4 has no diode clipping. It is basicly the Lexi preamp circuit.
Yeah sorry for the confusion. The basic circuit doesn't have them but from what Bill told me, there's some new diodes that are activated by a switch on the back of the amp. There's a Classic/Modern, Hard/Soft, and Voice switch. Don't recall which of these switches activates the Diodes, but it's one of them. I'll clarify with Bill. He was raving about them saying that they don't sound solid state, but instead sound more like having an extra preamp tube in the circuit.

The clips that I've heard by Bill on YouTube sound amazing . They're old clips though and to my surprise his video's don't get nearly as many views as you would think for amps that sound that amazing .

Aha! Thanks for the clarification. How long ago was your build? I wonder if there are any more G4's out there.
Yeah I went with the Dirty Plexi Clean this time as well. I had a G3 a while ago and the reason why I flipped it was the Pure Clean Channel just didn't work for me. Do you agree with the tonal qualities of the G4? What's your take on it?

I do love that cosmetic. But I went all black to match with my cabs.

Yeah sorry for the confusion. The basic circuit doesn't have them but from what Bill told me, there's some new diodes that are activated by a switch on the back of the amp. There's a Classic/Modern, Hard/Soft, and Voice switch. Don't recall which of these switches activates the Diodes, but it's one of them. I'll clarify with Bill. He was raving about them saying that they don't sound solid state, but instead sound more like having an extra preamp tube in the circuit.
I guess Yours my have the diode clipping switch. At the time he didn't care for them and we agreed not to add them. I do believe he told me he is doing it differently now and may like it enough to add them. Mine has the voicing switch though. I also had him add a switch on the front panel near the imput jack to switch channels.
I believe mine was built around February 2 of this year.

I really like the amp, It is one of only a few amps I have tried that has enough gain on the crunch channel for me and the lead channel sings.
Sounds like a good modded marshall.
I had to plug in to it after seeing this thread since I haven't played it in mounths since I finished my own amp the one on top of it.
Surprisingly it is voiced very similer to my own amp even though they are 2 completely different circuits all to gether.
I have tried alot of amps and modded Marshalls and most didn't do it for me but the Landry is a keeper.

Attachments

• gear322 (1).JPG
    gear322 (1).JPG
    311.2 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: ccn
Back