New Les Pauls? Any good?

The old growth was cut from crazy big trunks and the body blanks were probably damn near quarter sawn.

What aggravates me is that everybody on the planet has known that the wood that a guitar is constructed of has an impact on the guitars tone going back 50 + years . Master luthiers , musicians , manufacturers, you name it have all known this and all of a sudden a new generation comes along and insists that the wood makes no difference by posting You Tube video's of weird contraptions that don't prove a a damn thing.

John Suhr and Tom Anderson list species of woods that you can choose on their websites based on what tonal characteristics a person is looking for . People seem to highly respect their guitar expertise .

The great George Lynch used to favor all maple bodied guitars and he recently emailed me back after I asked him about what he offers to clients and what his personal preferences are today and the below was his response .
I’m sorry if I hadn’t gotten back to you on this . I use a variety of maple woods depending on the application and clients preference .
I personally like medium /heavy northern ash
G

What aggravates me is that everybody on the planet has known that the wood that a guitar is constructed of has an impact on the guitars tone going back 50 + years . Master luthiers , musicians , manufacturers, you name it have all known this and all of a sudden a new generation comes along and insists that the wood makes no difference by posting You Tube video's of weird contraptions that don't prove a a damn thing.
it bit like modern day science, it seems none of the old real science exists now

The great George Lynch used to favor all maple bodied guitars and he recently emailed me back after I asked him about what he offers to clients and what his personal preferences are today and the below was his response .
Thats interesting. I assume that is mainly what he is using to build his Mr Scary guitars? that shit is HARD and rough on tools haha. I made a guitar with an Ash top and it blunted my router bits super fast even though it was only 6mm thick.

I made a body out of solid Kwila a few years ago and that thing is HEAVY AS FUCK even though it is only 45mm thick (like think of a heavy LP (which is about 75mm at the centre of the body) and then a just a little bit more weight to it) ... but it sounds great for metal.. super tight and bright high end and a very scooped mid range with smooth tight bottom end ... I have had guys play it through their rigs after using a "normal" guitar and they all check their eq settings because they think someone has turned the mids basically off hahahahaha .. it's super fun

Have also made a kwila neck and that thing just Zings ... makes even the deadest body sound alive

Back