New Les Pauls? Any good?

Honestly, this line sounds straight out of a Gibson ad. I'm absolutely sure you can find a similar sounding guitar out there. There's no magic in it.
I wish that was true. I went a tried a bunch of single cuts a few months back with the intent of getting anything other than a Gibson. To my surprise I preferred the Gibson every single time except the tribute series. I went to 3 different stores and put my hands on every single cut.

I'm not saying you can't find a good guitar but when you want a LP get an LP.

I do want to try an FGN though. I've heard good things

I ended up with an Ebony LP classic. I put locking tuners and Suhr Aldrich pickups in it. I love that guitar so much. It just does its own thing that my others dont

If you're thinking of buying new, I wouldn't fart around. Word has it they're about to have a hefty price-increase. Wouldnt surprise me if Standards hit the 3k mark, and Classics go to what Standards are now.

Of course, it'll fuck up the used market too.

I bought my SG new last year, stellar guitar. Last Classic I bought new was as well.

Last edited:
Picked up some “Inspired by Gibson” Epi LP’s recently…as good as can be! Love the new & improved headstock too!

If you're thinking of buying new, I wouldn't fart around. Word has it they're about to have a hefty price-increase. Wouldnt surprise me if Standards hit the 3k mark, and Classics go to what Standards are now.

Of course, it'll fuck up the used market too.

I bought my SG new last year, stellar guitar. Last Classic I bought new was as well.
Gibby’s current pricing is already ludicrous, which - as you pointed out - has screwed up the used market too. Sorry, but Gibsons you could get new a few years back for <$1800 are NOT $2400 guitars now. Jeez…I remember when you could get new Trad Pros for about $1599?? What happened?? That’s a forgotten dream now - less than 10 years later.

Played a Classic for a while tonight and it was a beast. Loved it. Then picked up a USA Charvel and just loved it so much more. The LP has that thiccness and sustain but it's just more fun/comfortable on a Strat. Oh well.

Played a Tokai and Grassroots by ESP LPs few months ago and they blew every Gibson i've ever played out of the water.

my 2007 standard is one of the best guitars ive ever played.

it absolutely murders any tokai or burny or esp ive ever played, and those are all great guitars.

the trick with les pauls is finding the right one for YOU.

Not all of them had maple necks. Pretty sure that was late 70’s. My 75 LPC has a mahogany neck.
This is correct. Norlin owned Gibson through 86 and moved them down to Nashville in 85.

My 85 LPC has a mahogany neck no pancake body but is over 10 lbs. My 76 is pancake and has a maple neck.

Not all of them had maple necks. Pretty sure that was late 70’s. My 75 LPC has a mahogany neck.
it started somewhere in the mid to late 70's. I believe the earliest one i can recall is a 76. They stopped in the early 80's, i think 82 was the last full year but you can find some after that as they were using up supply. The pancake bodies i'm not sure when those started. I wanna say 72 or 73, and those went away during the 77 model year. 78 was the first full year without pancake bodies

Gibby’s current pricing is already ludicrous, which - as you pointed out - has screwed up the used market too. Sorry, but Gibsons you could get new a few years back for <$1800 are NOT $2400 guitars now. Jeez…I remember when you could get new Trad Pros for about $1599?? What happened?? That’s a forgotten dream now - less than 10 years later.
Look at PRS's pricing. Sure, they're nice, but even their "budget" S2's with Korean electronics are starting to go up to $1949. With a gigbag.. They're nice, but the pickups are shit, and then you're buying a case, and upgrading pickups. Their 594 Singlecuts start at $4100. Nuts.

Look at PRS's pricing. Sure, they're nice, but even their "budget" S2's with Korean electronics are starting to go up to $1949. With a gigbag.. They're nice, but the pickups are shit, and then you're buying a case, and upgrading pickups. Their 594 Singlecuts start at $4100. Nuts.
They've always been for dentists. Everyone knows that!

Last edited:
those don't sound like a Les Paul

The below link will hopefully once and for all prove that tone wood does indeed make a difference . The video above is idiotic .

https://acoustics.ippt.pan.pl/index.php/aa/article/view/2949/pdf_582

6. Conclusions The tone wood used in the construction of an electric guitar can have an impact on the sound produced by the instrument. Changes are observed in both spectral envelope and the produced signal levels, and their magnitude exceeds just noticeable differences found in the literature. Most listeners, despite the lack of a professional listening environment, could distinguish between the recordings made with different woods regardless of the played pitch and the pickup used. The conducted test does not allow any conclusions regarding a more holistic outlook on a guitar’s timbre, as the observed relations are complex beyond the scope of the obtained results. Further tests regarding the guitar’s entire frequency response are required. It should also be noted that these tests were conducted based on a simplified guitar model, which might have over emphasized the researched phenomenon.

The below link will hopefully once and for all prove that tone wood does indeed make a difference . The video above is idiotic .

https://acoustics.ippt.pan.pl/index.php/aa/article/view/2949/pdf_582

6. Conclusions The tone wood used in the construction of an electric guitar can have an impact on the sound produced by the instrument. Changes are observed in both spectral envelope and the produced signal levels, and their magnitude exceeds just noticeable differences found in the literature. Most listeners, despite the lack of a professional listening environment, could distinguish between the recordings made with different woods regardless of the played pitch and the pickup used. The conducted test does not allow any conclusions regarding a more holistic outlook on a guitar’s timbre, as the observed relations are complex beyond the scope of the obtained results. Further tests regarding the guitar’s entire frequency response are required. It should also be noted that these tests were conducted based on a simplified guitar model, which might have over emphasized the researched phenomenon.
yeah it always makes me laugh when people say the wood makes no difference. They really just need to admit they have shit ears

yeah it always makes me laugh when people say the wood makes no difference. They really just need to admit they have shit ears
It’s surprising given how many people buy with their eyes and spec sheets. All one has to do is look at the differences in grain/wood density and could come to a reasonable conclusion it does make a difference. I’d be interested in someone testing old growth vs second growth, maybe answering the question of why older guitars on average have the “it” factor over new ones.

Back