New Mesa Boogie Cab Clone

Uncle Mike":2off4jgm said:
Add a an attenuator in this puppy and I will buy 3 and then one for my drummer.

You're talking about a Rivera Rockcrusher Tecording! Plus you get switchable impedance, 8/16 ohm. Great piece of gear.

The Boogie looks pretty cool for a simple load/speaker sim.

Hmm, kind of confused about it. Is it just a resistive load box, using an analog cab sim, like a Palmer or similar? I would want the ability to shut off the sim on the balanced out if I wanted to run into an impulse. Having no actual attenuation confuses me too. Something like the unleash seems to offer a lot more options for similar price. Am I missing something?

Erock":3w3ljx0e said:
Hmm, kind of confused about it. Is it just a resistive load box, using an analog cab sim, like a Palmer or similar? I would want the ability to shut off the sim on the balanced out if I wanted to run into an impulse. Having no actual attenuation confuses me too. Something like the unleash seems to offer a lot more options for similar price. Am I missing something?

I don't think you are and I am wondering the same thing. Seems to be a one trick pony. Given that the Mesa mark Iv has silent recording outs already, don't really see the point as I can always run a post processing cab sim....

The 1/4" output runs to your console without the emulation, hence you can use it with your impulses. Looks like a great piece. Priced at $299. Good value!

PBGas":6aizyq5d said:
The 1/4" output runs to your console without the emulation, hence you can use it with your impulses. Looks like a great piece. Priced at $299. Good value!
I see that, but it's not balanced, and it's not controlled by the DI output level control. I would have preferred the XLR balanced output to have the option of turning off the cab sim, that would be the ideal interface into a recording console or mic pre IMO. Just seems odd they didn't include the option there.

I also don't get the resistive load, with all the talk about reactive loads feeling more like a real cabinet. There have been cheap resistive load boxes for years with line out, Weber comes to mind immediately. I would think for $299 it would have some form of attenuation too. I guess I'm not seeing why people are excited. I want to be, I love Mesa!

Erock":3hwttjps said:

I was looking up the unleash and it doesn't seem to have direct recording or being able to listen via headphones, just attenuation. Am I missing something there? This unit is mainly for silent playing/recording and as someone who lives in an apartment, is a godsend when you want to play your Mark V at midnight.

InFlames235":1gybsskp said:
Erock":1gybsskp said:

I was looking up the unleash and it doesn't seem to have direct recording or being able to listen via headphones, just attenuation. Am I missing something there? This unit is mainly for silent playing/recording and as someone who lives in an apartment, is a godsend when you want to play your Mark V at midnight.
I'm not trying to sell anyone on the unleash, I don't even have one. But just looking at feature sets, I don't really get the excitement. The unleash has a direct out, the same as the 1/4" direct out on the cabclone. You would use this to run thru an impulse for cab sims to record, or for playback depending what your setup is.

The cabclone has the benefit of the 4? onboard sims on the DI output, but they aren't using impulses, and you can't turn them off afaik. For direct recording, I would want the ability to shut off the onboard sims. I guess I have to hear the cab simulation in person to really get excited, that would be the whole selling point I guess. I figured with all the advancements in speaker simulation however, there would be something more robust on board, so I could have more choices. That and some form of attenuation.

For headphones, you would need another interface to use the impulses from the 1/4 direct out for the unleash. However, you get a 100W SS poweramp, so you could take your amp to the sweet spot, and keep the real cab volume at TV levels in theory for latenight.

The last thing that I don't get, Mesa has it listed in their literature that it's using a resistive load. It seems at this point, all the good loadboxes are using reactive loads, that act much more like a real changing speaker impedance rather than a static resistance.

also, for the record, I'm not try to slam Mesa, I love their products. My mind could completely change after playing thru one. If it feels like a real cab, and the speaker simulation is that good, I'm in!

Erock":kg9yj5ph said:
InFlames235":kg9yj5ph said:
Erock":kg9yj5ph said:

I'm not trying to sell anyone on the unleash, I don't even have one. But just looking at feature sets, I don't really get the excitement. The unleash has a direct out, the same as the 1/4" direct out on the cabclone. You would use this to run thru an impulse for cab sims to record, or for playback depending what your setup is.

The cabclone has the benefit of the 4? onboard sims on the DI output, but they aren't using impulses, and you can't turn them off afaik. For direct recording, I would want the ability to shut off the onboard sims. I guess I have to hear the cab simulation in person to really get excited, that would be the whole selling point I guess. I figured with all the advancements in speaker simulation however, there would be something more robust on board, so I could have more choices. That and some form of attenuation.

For headphones, you would need another interface to use the impulses from the 1/4 direct out for the unleash. However, you get a 100W SS poweramp, so you could take your amp to the sweet spot, and keep the real cab volume at TV levels in theory for latenight.

The last thing that I don't get, Mesa has it listed in their literature that it's using a resistive load. It seems at this point, all the good loadboxes are using reactive loads, that act much more like a real changing speaker impedance rather than a static resistance.

also, for the record, I'm not try to slam Mesa, I love their products. My mind could completely change after playing thru one. If it feels like a real cab, and the speaker simulation is that good, I'm in!

I'm pretty sure a reactive load is just a performance issue for an attenuator. The Cab Clone isn't doing that. It just needs to provide a safe load for your amp for basically full attenuation at all times.

skoora":1wurqjd0 said:
Erock":1wurqjd0 said:
InFlames235":1wurqjd0 said:
Erock":1wurqjd0 said:

I'm pretty sure a reactive load is just a performance issue for an attenuator. The Cab Clone isn't doing that. It just needs to provide a safe load for your amp for basically full attenuation at all times.
IMO, it would be just as important if not moreso, since the entire load the amp is seeing is coming from the cab clone in that case.

http://www.soundsmith.com/fake2B.html

Best thing Mesa has released in two decades - the Cab Clone (and the 5 band EQ) pedal. No fuss, no setting up. Plug and play.

Not sure what you guys are on about with impulses and attenuation. It is a load to replace a cab and send 3 different Mesa cab tones to your PA, FOH, or recording system. It is totally passive and takes all the BS if cab types, speaker types, mics and all that out of the equation. When you use a cab with it utilizing the throughput, the cab then replaces the load. The DI control will be used to control signal strength to the PA, mixer, etc. But, that does not control any cab attenuation. That's not what the unit is designed to do. It's is a passive equivalent to a Two Notes Torpedo Live, without all the cab/speaker IR's and is built with three Mesa cab algorithms. The line output is a +4db compensated line output, just like the speaker jack from the back of your amp. Use it direct to your cab without any tonal adjustment from the CC.

I have been ditching cabs the last two or three years with the TNTL and now the Mesa CC and really enjoy the lack of BS when fucking with cabs. I bought one, then immediately ordered 3 more to set up with all my amps, plus one inside for silent play. At $300, these are no brainers for live use, silent play or if you keep a PA set up in a practice space.

At least the demo Rev posted with the real cab followed by the cabclone was useful in hearing the capability of the unit. I thought the first setting of the cab clone sounded terrible but the open/closed back sounded very usable. I guess it all depends on how many diff impulse scenarios and simulated mics you think you'll use. If you always default back to a 57/906 type of thing for live use, then this might just do the trick. Attenuator with cab sim built right in, good deal , good price point. I'd like to hear this thing with a plexi or 800 rather than full on metal assault to make up my mind though.

Back