New Rifle

  • Thread starter Thread starter midnightlaundry
  • Start date Start date
77gr is pricey! I always preferred 62gr over 55gr only because it's heavier! But like you said, the POI is mostly negligible at the distances my 556 is setup for.
I shoot a lot of 55 gr. too, but I like to run the heavier stuff. All mine are 1:7 or 1:8.
Man.. Years ago, I had a Dillon Square D and was reloading 40 S&W and 44 Mag.. https://www.dillonprecision.com/s000083
I sold it when times were tough.
I don't know if I want to go down that Rabbit Hole again..
I do watch Gavin on Ultimate Reloader tho.. He does all the precision stuff.. He has a killer Range on his Compound.
The next Rifle I get with be a 26"+ Precision Bolt Action.. But not for a while. I'm having a blast with the Ruger right now..


I have a Rock Chucker and load for 44 Mag and 357 Mag. I don't run any reloads, even my own, in semi autos. Well, except shotguns. I have a pair of Mec Jrs in 12 and 20. I go through a ludicrous amount of shotshells though so I kinda have to reload that.
 
I shoot a lot of 55 gr. too, but I like to run the heavier stuff. All mine are 1:7 or 1:8.

I have a Rock Chucker and load for 44 Mag and 357 Mag. I don't run any reloads, even my own, in semi autos. Well, except shotguns. I have a pair of Mec Jrs in 12 and 20. I go through a ludicrous amount of shotshells though so I kinda have to reload that.
You don't trust your reloads in your semis?

I just got sick of the necked casing prep and only do pistols now. I cut down the dies to just what I needed. 9mm, .44 mag/spec, .38/.357.

I have a .44 special that I think is past it's useful life cause it seems to be shaving some lead. I had to load my own cause a box of .44 special was insane. So insane I haven't even looked in a decade, lol. I just trimmed down a bunch of .44 brass I grabbed here and there when I was at the range. I got a lot of .38 special stuff for the old lady's little J frame 3" and I save all my 9mm brass.

What I should do is cast some .50 cal balls and shoot my muzzleloader. It's hanging above the woodstove lol. I thought they'd be boring until someone let me shoot theirs one day. Talk about addictive. I wound up reloading it about 20x before I was done.
 
You don't trust your reloads in your semis?

I just got sick of the necked casing prep and only do pistols now. I cut down the dies to just what I needed. 9mm, .44 mag/spec, .38/.357.

I have a .44 special that I think is past it's useful life cause it seems to be shaving some lead. I had to load my own cause a box of .44 special was insane. So insane I haven't even looked in a decade, lol. I just trimmed down a bunch of .44 brass I grabbed here and there when I was at the range. I got a lot of .38 special stuff for the old lady's little J frame 3" and I save all my 9mm brass.

What I should do is cast some .50 cal balls and shoot my muzzleloader. It's hanging above the woodstove lol. I thought they'd be boring until someone let me shoot theirs one day. Talk about addictive. I wound up reloading it about 20x before I was done.
I don't trust any reload in a semi auto. Well, I should say any semi auto handgun primarily, but ARs either. Both times I broke my own rule against them I had issues. Squib stuck in the barrel of my Makarov .380 . Thankfully I noticed the change in sound and didn't fire again. That was factory reloads too. Then during the scamdemic I tried some of my SILs 9mm reloads which he claimed he never had issues with out of his Glocks. I didn't even make it through one mag with my Walther Q5 and the slide locked itself up tight. In my life I have went through hundreds of thousands of rounds of various brands of factory new ammo. Mostly Federal, Winchester, Blazer Brass, S&B. Never had any issues. So I'll stick with the odds.

So yeah, life's too short to shoot reloads in semi autos. Revolvers and bolt actions I will. Especially expensive shit like .44 Mag.
 
Got some full size IPSC Targets out. This was at 500 yards! The 2 shot group was mine and the lower left was my Cousin's 300 Weatherby on the 1st shot with only a 15X power Scope.. LOL

I had 10.5 MOA dialed in for this shot. Next time I'll bring it up to 11.5. That should get me on the square!

IMG_20260725_131135216.jpg


We have another one at 600 yards but from the Blind you can only see the top of it because the ground scoops out.
I have some proper T-Bar Hooks coming to get these plates up higher.


Great fun doin' sniper shit!
 
Got some full size IPSC Targets out. This was at 500 yards! The 2 shot group was mine and the lower left was my Cousin's 300 Weatherby on the 1st shot with only a 15X power Scope.. LOL

I had 10.5 MOA dialed in for this shot. Next time I'll bring it up to 11.5. That should get me on the square!

View attachment 454182

We have another one at 600 yards but from the Blind you can only see the top of it because the ground scoops out.
I have some proper T-Bar Hooks coming to get these plates up higher.


Great fun doin' sniper shit!
Awesome man. Good to see you getting into it. That looks like a beautiful area for an afternoon shoot too!!!
 
I've been playing with the Burris Ballistics Calculator.. You put in your Bullet and Setup and it gives you a starting point. Then you can True it up by saying your suggestion was 2" low, and it will recalculate the whole range.

It's has me at about 11.25 MOA now for that 500 aiming at the square. It's saying 14.86 MOA for the 600, so I'll just try 15 when we get back out there. It will be close I'm sure.

Good fun.
 
Awesome man. Good to see you getting into it. That looks like a beautiful area for an afternoon shoot too!!!
Thanks.. Very fortunate to have a Cousin with the spot.. He was cutting the grass around Camp, and I shot about 300 rounds of Pistol while he cut. It's a free for all out there. LOL

I did hoof it out and Laser 500 and 600 yards and pounded the T-Poles in the ground for the new Targets tho..

Here's a front shot of the Red Blind.. We hang the Barrels out the window shooting North, so I shoot a little to the left for the easterly crosswinds.. Lately it has been gusty. But the 6.5 shoots pretty flat and straight.

Next time I'll try to get a Pic out the window from inside the Blind.




IMG_20260725_114312312.jpg
 
Thanks.. Very fortunate to have a Cousin with the spot.. He was cutting the grass around Camp, and I shot about 300 rounds of Pistol while he cut. It's a free for all out there. LOL

I did hoof it out and Laser 500 and 600 yards and pounded the T-Poles in the ground for the new Targets tho..

Here's a front shot of the Red Blind.. We hang the Barrels out the window shooting North, so I shoot a little to the left for the easterly crosswinds.. Lately it has been gusty. But the 6.5 shoots pretty flat and straight.

Next time I'll try to get a Pic out the window from inside the Blind.




View attachment 454239
That's a coo place. My place is bordering on too small for rifle so usually I just shoot pistols in the back. I do shoot deer with a rifle during season but I bait them to a safe spot and bang. My max safe range would be about 100-120 yards if I set up a good berm so not really worth it. Maybe in a few years....I need to rent a decent size skid steer and clean some stuff up so maybe then.
 
Got out there yesterday morning. Beautiful day, but a bit windy with 10 mph winds..

Finally got into the 600 club. The other full size IPSC is mounted and we were plugging it.
My cousin was doing 5ft holds while I was dialing in Elevation on my Turret..
It takes about 3 seconds from the time you shoot to when you hear the hit. You see the Target move in your scope before you hear it.

I took a pic of the field sitting in the Blind. Although it doesn't show in the pic, the 7" orange Plate at 342 yards is way harder to hit than a full size IPSC at 5 or 600!

1953d924-9c11-4457-8550-2f8de4452db3~1.jpg




range 3.JPG
 
Although I don’t own a single black gun, I’m a reloader too. You can make some silly accurate loads tailored to your barrel/chamber that way. VB if you’re shaving lead are you also getting blowback? Sometimes refraining from resizing your brass completely can help that. Another trick is to mount a bullet into an empty cartridge leaving it a little loose and intentionally long - chamber the round, pull it out and measure the o’all length you need so that the bullet's just kissing the rifling once chambered. Gun specific ammo of course, but it works so long as you don’t overdo it by jamming the bullet into the bore.

I reload .410, 44-40, .44Sp, 45 lc, .45 ACP, 9mm & .38/.357. I haven’t been shooting much but am able to do so on my property. I mostly just shoot powder puff .38sp loads when I do. Mostly I shoot informal skeet to stay fresh for my dog and generally use 28ga for training and a 16ga when we’re actually hunting. The look on my Dogs face when I miss is epic so I have to stay fresh..lol. I've got a couple trash bags full of hulls for 28/16 but don’t have dies. I use a Mec grabber for the .410 but if I was shooting skeet or trap regularly, a Mec 9000 or better yet a Spolar would be the ticket. We can still shoot lead in my state w/exception of waterfowl.
 
Got back out there yesterday and started dialing in some Hornady 147gr ELD Match rounds. Amazing. They are heavier and have a lower published Muzzle velocity than my 129gr, but fly flatter much longer. My cousin noted they hit harder with a noticeably louder impact on steel.

At 600yds, the dial in is 18" less drop compared to the 129gr. Ballistic Coefficient is real!

I've been working with the Burris Ballistic App. I've played with the Hornady, but I need a Magnifying Glass to read it on the Phone, so no go.. The Burris also accesses local weather data where the Hornady does not without an extra Bluetooth Device.

Because this is an Autoloader, there's a lot of extra holes drilled to bleed off pressure on this particular weapon. The App is good for getting you close but I've found that as I shoot farther and farther, the dial in is not Linear per the App when Truing, so I have a Notepad on my Phone where I've been writing down my DOPE.. I bet it's closer on a Bolt Gun..

They are pretty compared to the 129gr..

IMG_20260816_141731921.jpg
 
Bolt action reigns supreme for accuracy. You have such a nice place for long distance shooting. I don’t have that on my property but am surrounded by woods. Some of my buddies help the local farmers with long distance ground hogs, but that’s not me b/c I hate the killing part, it’s just not me unless we’re in need. All I have for (semi) long distance shooting is a Rem 540X .22 w/good glass on it..it’s cheap to shoot aspirins at about 100yds +/- into the woods and is loads of fun. Someday if we make it back out west (🙏), I’ll be setting up like you are..that shit’s cool.
 
Already looking at PRC Rifles.. LOL
I'm half Finnish, so the 26" Tikka T3 Ace Target is looking nice.. :love:
A Sako would be cool bet they're WAY out of my budget.. :geek:
I seen a video on Ultimate Reloader and they said Barrels for both brands are the same, so there's that. (y)
jrtxatb31224tikkat3xacetargetbronzeprofilerf4e7.jpg
 
Got a PRS Lite Stock. I had to change the End Plate to a Milspec version and get an Armorers Wrench to spin the Castle Nut off the Buffer Tube. No big deal, good learning experience.. I like the look a lot.
IMG_20260903_162427728_AE.jpg
 
Got out there yesterday morning. Beautiful day, but a bit windy with 10 mph winds..

Finally got into the 600 club. The other full size IPSC is mounted and we were plugging it.
My cousin was doing 5ft holds while I was dialing in Elevation on my Turret..
It takes about 3 seconds from the time you shoot to when you hear the hit. You see the Target move in your scope before you hear it.

I took a pic of the field sitting in the Blind. Although it doesn't show in the pic, the 7" orange Plate at 342 yards is way harder to hit than a full size IPSC at 5 or 600!

View attachment 455776



View attachment 455778
Damn that's a nice set up! a good variety of distance there
 
Already looking at PRC Rifles.. LOL
I'm half Finnish, so the 26" Tikka T3 Ace Target is looking nice.. :love:
A Sako would be cool bet they're WAY out of my budget.. :geek:
I seen a video on Ultimate Reloader and they said Barrels for both brands are the same, so there's that. (y)
View attachment 456788
you go the Sako route you might have to start selling guitars :)
 
you go the Sako route you might have to start selling guitars :)
There's no way.. LOL

I decided on and got a Bergera in 7prc, but I have just the Rifle. I need everything else including a new Bag to carry it around in. It just fits in the Ruger Bag, but with a Muzzle Brake, it will be to long..

We shot a lot this weekend. My Cousin is pretty good. I dug out my 556.. It has an Eotek EXPS 3 with a 4-Dot Reticle. I have a 3X Magnifier on it and got it spot on at 200/ 50 yard zero... I was amazed to hit the 310 and 424 yard Plates doing Dot Holds on the 1st try. I've never had it that dialed in. He was doing Dot holds hitting the Plate at 600! I didn't try the 600. At 310 yards, the Dot you see with a 3X is a least the size of the Target..

dddd.jpg


We've been playing with Ballistic Calculators a lot lately. We figured a Winchester White Box 55gr bullet at 600 yards only had 275 lbs of energy. My Cousin's 30-378 had over 1900! That thing is a beast.. Huge Weatherby Magnum cartridge..

IMG_20260905_135009113_HDR_AE.jpg
 
Did not shoot this weekend, but I did pick up a Blast Shield for the 556..

That Gun came with an ASR Muzzle Brake. It's actually brutal to be next to. You get hammered with blast..

When my Cousin was shootin, I was spotting with Binoculars. When I took them off, I was covered in wood chips because it was blowing the wood apart on the window opening.. LOL

It's got that rotating Collar with Shoes that locks into the knurled edge of the MB.. I haven't shot it yet, but everything I read says it directs blast down range.

IMG_20260913_225212201_AE.jpg


IMG_20260913_225132457_HDR_AE.jpg


IMG_20260913_225056492_HDR_AE.jpg
 
Back
Top