New Schecter Amps at NAMM

leib10

Found out about these... the price tag is absolutely ridiculous (around $2500 for the lower-end and $3500 for the nicer one). NOBODY is going to pay those prices for a Schecter amp.

Are you kidding? That price is totally reasonable for a Schecter. There's got to be $1K of plastic just in the amp-sized logo! At least there doesn't appear to be any abalone binding on them...

leib10":3q8hnsma said:
Found out about these... the price tag is absolutely ridiculous (around $2500 for the lower-end and $3500 for the nicer one). NOBODY is going to pay those prices for a Schecter amp.
So they are not looking to move a lot of these then ?

especially since randall is doing such a large lineup of new amps at good price points... seems like they would know they were shooting themselves in the dick.

59Bassman":29feh7ee said:
Are you kidding? That price is totally reasonable for a Schecter. There's got to be $1K of plastic just in the amp-sized logo! At least there doesn't appear to be any abalone binding on them...
:LOL: :LOL:

So do they think because they have a German name that they can compete with brands like Diezel and Bogner? What a joke.

they sound like utter crap IMHO...

low end yes. Especially with the added sub, but definition... NO.

I'm sure they are decent or even good amps since JB designed them, but those prices... :doh: :doh: :doh:

What the hell are they thinking??!!

My Schecter guy told me at NAMM that the amps would be approx. $1899 street. And I haven't heard the Hellraiser but the Hellwin sounded amazing.

To be fair, I think we should wait until they hit the music stores and actually find out the pricing and how they sound. My buddy Rodney who is a Schecter artist played the Hellwin at NAMM, and while he hated the name (I agree- it really is a freakin' silly name), he said it sounded killer.

On another note, some people out there pay $4k new for a two channel amp with shared EQ that has the worst effects loop in history and has a bottom end looser than a cheap hooker.

lolzgreg":4sq3wp1h said:
To be fair, I think we should wait until they hit the music stores and actually find out the pricing and how they sound. My buddy Rodney who is a Schecter artist played the Hellwin at NAMM, and while he hated the name (I agree- it really is a freakin' silly name), he said it sounded killer.

On another note, some people out there pay $4k new for a two channel amp with shared EQ that has the worst effects loop in history and has a bottom end looser than a cheap hooker.
fluff191":4sq3wp1h said:
My Schecter guy told me at NAMM that the amps would be approx. $1899 street. And I haven't heard the Hellraiser but the Hellwin sounded amazing.

I guess I was thinking that those prices were street. Just seems odd to me that a company most known for their low to mid-level/priced guitars (love my C-1 Classic BTW) would try to jump into the boutique amp market right off the bat. I guess $1800 isn't bad at all if the amp sounds good. Like you said Greg, lot of guys spend that much on a "name" amp and then have to mod it to sound good.

lolzgreg":3vj5lmj7 said:

Hellwin is a play on Synyster Gates' middle name (Brian Elwin Haner). I agree it's pretty silly, but he's never been one to take himself too seriously (at least not since their breakout album). The demos out there sound horrible, so I guess judgment should be reserved until something better comes up.

Adam James said that he took Syn's favorite amps (Mesa Boogie Rectifier, Bogner Uberschall Rev 2/Twin Jet, Diezel Herbert, and Marshall JVM 205/JCM 800) and tried to combine them into one. Should be no small task.

Me and Jason shot part of the Loomis clinic at the Schecter room at NAMM. He was plugged straight into the Hellwin. Sounded amazing I thought.

One of the amps I would have loved to have heard at the show but did not happen. I talked to James, who has been a friend of mine for a few years now, about it quite a bit though. JB doesn't design crap so I bet they sound great.

What ever became of those Double Cross amps from Kustom?? James designed those as well and the few clips I've heard on youtube all sounded pretty good but I never see anything about that amp unless I dig deep for it.

There are 2 different version of each of the Schecter amps. The higher priced "USA" version and the lower-priced import version "Stage" series. The prices being discussed in this thread are list prices. They will be selling much cheaper than that.

I have played both the Hellraiser and Hellwin amps. I actually liked the Hellwin a lot, which surprised me.

The guys at Schecter aren't dummies, they've been planning this (as well as the rest of their expansion) for quite a long time. THey wouldn't have moved forward on it if they weren't convinced there is a market for them.

Also as a side note... many people have relatively short-term memories on what the Schecter brand really is. For many years they were solely a Custom Shop operation. Their history pretty much parallels that of their sister brand, ESP. Both brands made big moves in the affordably-priced import guitars market in the early 2000's and both brands are now shifting focus back to their roots as higher-end custom guitar manufacturers.

I was also able to play on all of the guitars in Schecter's new USA Production series. These are CNC machined, and hand assembled entirely in Sun Valley, CA, USA. They were all amazing guitars, with the same quality as their Custom Shop (now being referred to as Masterworks) stuff. The only difference is the CNC machinery involved.

For those of you who haven't heard, the Schecter Custom Shop staff now includes former ESP/Yamaha luthier John Gaudesi, in addition to Shigeki and Tetsu. From what I remember being told, Schecter's new pickup winding operation is also being run by John.

fluff191":2xmwr11z said:
Me and Jason shot part of the Loomis clinic at the Schecter room at NAMM. He was plugged straight into the Hellwin. Sounded amazing I thought.

Kind of weird that Schecter didn't get Synyster Gates to demo his own signature amp. Then again he looked like he was hammered at NAMM... :LOL: :LOL:

Back