New wizard inbound question.

JR-OZ

Hey guys I shot rick an email inquiring about a tone I am looking for and he suggested a MCii 100 watt

needless to say it’s my first wizard inbound.
What speakers ?
front vs rear loaded cabs?
Any suggestions

thanks

FYI tune to standard C and drop A
Use medium gain passive pups
Hate emg compression

thanks 🙏

Congrats on your new Wizard!

I use a MC II through a Bogner OS 2x12 closed back w/ V30's, and it KICKS ass! So I suggest V30. However, I'm willing to bet it sounds amazing through Greenbacks, creambacks... anything "back" LOL

Congrats on your new Wizard!

I use a MC II through a Bogner OS 2x12 closed back w/ V30's, and it KICKS ass! So I suggest V30. However, I'm willing to bet it sounds amazing through Greenbacks, creambacks... anything "back" LOL
Thats great to hear lol Some heads are really sensitive to speaker choices. Thanks

What is the ETA on it? 4-6 weeks ?

When you do get it, please post pics / clips, let us know your thoughts etc (I am sure you will anyways but now you got to!! LOL )

I will def post photos when it gets here, Hopefully i will be moved in to my new place and setup. Rick said 2-3 weeks.

Rick can build amps fast.

I like a mix v30/Creamback H75s with my Wizards. Fane F70s work well as well.
Whats the deal with fanes? Haven't heard one since i was a kid in the 90's was an old cab from the 80s left over at fastlane studios lol hahah Whats Their tone like? anything remotely familiar

Whats the deal with fanes? Haven't heard one since i was a kid in the 90's was an old cab from the 80s left over at fastlane studios lol hahah Whats Their tone like? anything remotely familiar

I have the F70s in 3 Fryette cabs and in 1 Wizard cab. They're similar to a v30 without the aggressive mid-spike.

The Fanes I’ve had generally are a flatter, more neutral, somewhat smoother sound than celestions. In some ways more articulate also. Still a British sound rather than American like Jensen or JBL’s. The ones I’ve had (F90’s and Crescendo’s) sound bigger than celestions, deeper bottom end, move more air, but the celestions have those mids that are a lot more aggressive, juicy and a lot more personality imo, which can make the Fanes sometimes come off a bit bland comparatively. They match well with Hiwatt’s since those amps also have kinda bland tone, but sound huge, open and articulate. I tend to like having Fane’s like the crescendo’s on the bottom in my 412’s paired with speakers with more character on top. This also works well since the Fanes often overpower other speakers when crossed (x pattern). With the Fanes on bottom combo it’s kinda like you get the great character of the speakers on top boosted with the Fanes extra beef and power

Last edited:
The Fanes I’ve had generally are a flatter, more neutral, somewhat smoother sound than celestions. In some ways more articulate also. Still a British sound rather than American like Jensen or JBL’s. The ones I’ve had (F90’s and Crescendo’s) sound bigger than celestions, deeper bottom end, move more air, but the celestions have those mids that are a lot more aggressive, juicy and a lot more personality imo, which can make the Fanes sometimes come off a bit bland comparatively. They match well with Hiwatt’s since those amps also have kinda bland tone, but sound huge, open and articulate. I tend to like having Fane’s like the crescendo’s on the bottom in my 412’s paired with speakers with more character on top. This also works well since the Fanes often overpower other speakers when crossed (x pattern). With the Fanes on bottom combo it’s kinda like you get the great character of the speakers on top boosted with the Fanes extra beef and power

I agree with this regarding the F70G and F90. My K100s have more mids, juicier mids, and are more aggressive. The F90 has more low end response and is more neutral sounding.

I agree with this regarding the F70G and F90. My K100s have more mids, juicier mids, and are more aggressive. The F90 has more low end response and is more neutral sounding.
Yes exactly. Haven’t played the 70’s, but from the clips seems like it would be the case too. The F90’s and Crescendo’s have huge low end, the crescendo more so than anything else I’ve tried other than an E120. A whole quad of them moves lots of air, but too bland sounding for my taste (and heavy as hell with the crescendo’s at 21 lbs a speaker lol), but have them on the bottom row with something more interesting sounding on top and it can be pretty great

Wow thanks man, One of these days I'm going to give them a shot! Thanks

Wow thanks man, One of these days I'm going to give them a shot! Thanks
Yeah I love my celestions, but it’s nice to have other flavors/colors to play with like the Fanes. It may possibly be one of those things you either love or hate

Yes exactly. Haven’t played the 70’s, but from the clips seems like it would be the case too. The F90’s and Crescendo’s have huge low end, the crescendo more so than anything else I’ve tried other than an E120. A whole quad of them moves lots of air, but too bland sounding for my taste (and heavy as hell with the crescendo’s
at 21 lbs a speaker lol), but have them on the bottom row with something more interesting sounding on top and it can be pretty great
21 pounds wow ;p Wonder how they mix with vintage 30s

21 pounds wow ;p Wonder how they mix with vintage 30s
Might be pretty good actually since they mixed decently with the F90’s, but my V30’s are 16 ohm and my Crescendo’s are 8 ohm’s, so can’t try it. Honesty though, not to sound condescending or elitisit, but imo the V30’s (of any variety imo) are very good for speakers made today, while the Crescendo’s are to me one of the holy grail vintage speakers and top 5 material, but again a specific flavor that’s not for everyone and very rare and expensive. The old JBL E120’s are 23 lbs and have even more bottom end. Most of them don’t have original cones unfortunately. Both those speakers I believe were not even intended to be guitar speakers

Rick can build amps fast.

I like a mix v30/Creamback H75s with my Wizards. Fane F70s work well as well.
I had that V30/H75 combo when I had the MC50 and it was great, imo.
That combo worked great with any amp I used with it, actually.
I recently grabbed a vertical Mesa 2x12, and am thinking about replacing one V30 with another H75, or maybe a Scumback H75 65 watter. Though the 2 Mesa V30s sounds great as is.

Back