NGD Charvel MJ DK24 Mahogany

stratjacket

This arrived a couple days ago.The new Charvel Made In Japan series. These are not supposed to be available in the US until May 2021, but I got lucky and found a store that said they had the only 1 in the US and they only had it for a demo. So after they recorded their demo, I bought it.

Full Name: Charvel MJ DK24 HSH 2PT E Mahogany with Figured Walnut
Mahogany body with figured walnut top
Wenge Neck with streaky ebony fretboard
Satin finish
Seymour Duncan Full Shred (B) Flat Strat (M) and Alnico II Pro (N)
Gotoh 510 Trem

Plays and feels great. Needed a setup and small neck adjustment, but after that, it feels awesome. Seems like all these Charvel come with the same pickup configuration. It is good, but knowing myself, I will probably swap them out for something else.

Pics below, but they don't do it justice. In person, it looks rich and leathery and very high-end.
1.jpeg

2.jpeg
4.jpeg
3.jpeg
5.jpeg

I have a DK24 MiM HH. If you find you have tuning issues, get some staggered Gotoh locking tuners and ditch the string trees. I used 1 long, 2 med and 3 short tuners. Bought them individual so I could pick my own stagger pattern. The set wasn’t to my liking.

I wasn’t in love with the Full Shred so swapped it out a few times and settled on a Nazgul - also tuned down to drop C. Put in a Sentient neck in today as the APH-1 alnico II neck pickup wasn’t great either.

67B0C654-7AB5-4C1E-80F5-6114DD6D3210.jpeg

7CAA2B1D-00CE-439D-B4B2-52E6CD36631E.jpeg

F7A2B36D-4686-43D4-A465-F5B3FF868461.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s sweet! I would have bought one if they were out when I purchased my DK.

The tuning issues on these are weird, I think most of it is just bad QC during assembly. I completely tore mine down for a refin and have had zero problems once I put everything back together...I even put the string trees back on.

Reactions: LCW
That’s sweet! I would have bought one if they were out when I purchased my DK.

The tuning issues on these are weird, I think most of it is just bad QC during assembly. I completely tore mine down for a refin and have had zero problems once I put everything back together...I even put the string trees back on.
I’ve heard that a lot and seen some YouTube videos about it. So far this one is fine. I put on new strings and once settled, it’s been sturdy. Two days in a row I’ve picked it up to play and it was perfectly in tune and held tune while playing, at least a good start.

I'm a huge fan of wood so it looks killer to me, absolutely-killer. :rock:

I've had several wood-look Super Strats over the years but none looked dark-enough to me. Yours OTOH is perfect, brother! :worship:

I'm a huge fan of wood so it looks killer to me, absolutely-killer. :rock:

I've had several wood-look Super Strats over the years but none looked dark-enough to me. Yours OTOH is perfect, brother! :worship:
Thanks, I’m in love, total honeymoon, ha. I wish my camera could capture it better. The walnut looks a little dull in the photos but in person it’s like really nice leather chair that just looks worn in and fits your ass perfectly.

Back