NGD - modded Robin content

stratotone

Pics to come... was driving by a local pawn-o-rama and felt a tingle at the base of my skull. Went in with cash, left with a few guitars. ;) One was a Robn RH2. Reverse hockey headstock, 21 fret maple/maple neck. Tokai built from what I've read.

Here's the weird part - it has a floyd rose on it and the nut is a FR nut. I'm 99% sure it was done after the fact, but long ago - floyd is an older one and it has the wood screw posts.

Does anyone know of any older Robin guitars like this that came with floyds from the factory? I'll probably know more in a few after she gets taken apart and cleaned up. Small frets, if I keep it I'm going to refret it for sure!

I'm 80% sure that floyd was put on aftermarket. When trying to order the robins or even trying to find one that came stock, dealers were really strict with no custom floyd options either before moving operations to texas in the early 90's to the time they shut the doors a few years ago. I have not seen one with an original floyd or schaller floyd, ever.

Not saying it has not been done, but i know of more cases with guys filling and redrilling for floyd spacing than ordering them that way.

I just searched Google pictures and there's truckloads of Robin pics with Floyds (or Floyd style trems) in the first set of results.

The RH series were all vintage trems. Then there was another model just before the Medley that had a floyd available, but if yours is an RH the floyd was added. I have an RH and the frets are dead. Instead of refretting I went with a Warmoth. 22 frets, jumbo, stainless, wizard carve, fits perfect, right in the pocket and same mounting holes. Perfect and cheaper than a refret.

Mudder":3qd2ypgw said:
The RH series were all vintage trems. Then there was another model just before the Medley that had a floyd available, but if yours is an RH the floyd was added. I have an RH and the frets are dead. Instead of refretting I went with a Warmoth. 22 frets, jumbo, stainless, wizard carve, fits perfect, right in the pocket and same mounting holes. Perfect and cheaper than a refret.

Good info to know :rock:

snowdog":myjzlbqd said:
I just searched Google pictures and there's truckloads of Robin pics with Floyds (or Floyd style trems) in the first set of results.

Floyd style trems yessir - robin had floating style tremelos on their models (except for RH models), however not floyd originals or schallers as mentioned (except for the series before medley's) as an option ordered from a dealer.

Robin even went as far as to only allow 1 quote at a time from one specific dealer when purchasing new. They were definitely a no budging company on the front end.

Post a pic so we can tell more. Does it have the made in usa or texas thing burned into the headstock? I have 2 really old Robin's. One I bought on 48th st and it was made in China and has a reverse headstock and a floyd from the factory. Will have to dig it out and see if its a real or lic. floyd. The other is the real deal hand made in texas 4 and 2 on a side headstock deal that I believe Ernie Ball sued them over and made them stop making.

I will get a pic of my other uploaded as that one is made in Texas. The one above china.

ibenhad":3dnr6vxu said:
Post a pic so we can tell more. Does it have the made in usa or texas thing burned into the headstock? I have 2 really old Robin's. One I bought on 48th st and it was made in China and has a reverse headstock and a floyd from the factory. Will have to dig it out and see if its a real or lic. floyd. The other is the real deal hand made in texas 4 and 2 on a side headstock deal that I believe Ernie Ball sued them over and made them stop making.

I will get a pic of my other uploaded as that one is made in Texas. The one above china.

Do the chinese ones have the burn mark on the back of the neck? I dont know much about the Chinese ones at all :dunno:

There are no Chinese Robins. There are some models made by Tokai in Japan. Those only went a few years, maybe until the 2nd year of Rangers, then some QC issues with Tokai had them move to Texas.

Mudder":1szbd9e3 said:
There are no Chinese Robins. There are some models made by Tokai in Japan. Those only went a few years, maybe until the 2nd year of Rangers, then some QC issues with Tokai had them move to Texas.

THIS, there are NO CHINESE ones. Tokai, then ESP for a bit, then went all USA, made in Texas. None of the early 21 fret ones had Floyds, only the last Japanese, then the USA made ones. The Machete is a famous Floyd equipped guitar, and several famous players of the time used them. They have closed their doors now, and no longer make guitars. Owned more Robins than I can count through the years. Yours is an aftermarket, and that Floyd could be valuable if a really early one.

Back