Now I know why Don Dokken stopped playing guitar live.

Don comes into where I work all the time to get his guitars set up and I've never seen him play like this. (Wow!) For the record, he's always super cool with everyone.

guitarbilly74":1g97l7ke said:
what I don't understand is why he doesn't stop singing.. so if you could help me with that that would be great

because he still makes money playing....because non musicians don't give a shit that he can't sing now, they just seem to like the idea of seeing the singer from dokken doing dokken songs with "dokken" :LOL: :LOL:

its the exact same thing with the "new" Ratt...it amazes me how many people don't care who the main guitarist is

UltraGary":3kg6ui9g said:
Don comes into where I work all the time to get his guitars set up and I've never seen him play like this. (Wow!) For the record, he's always super cool with everyone.

That is awesome that he is cool to people. I'm starting to think that all of that talk about George and Don and which one was the biggest jerk, had nothing to do with fans. Seems like they just irritated each other.

Don is a hack and isn't even on the same planet as George when it comes to playing lead guitar. Dons one position fast pentatonic lick in Paris is Burning is simple and boring. Its obvious George is still young and inexperienced but even then he is way more advanced that Don. Geeeez.

Fret-Shredder":9ms5sgx3 said:
Don is a hack and isn't even on the same planet as George when it comes to playing lead guitar. Dons one position fast pentatonic lick in Paris is Burning is simple and boring. Its obvious George is still young and inexperienced but even then he is way more advanced that Don. Geeeez.

Anyone ever told you what opinions are like? ;)

Mr. Willy":1ltwfrsg said:
Fret-Shredder":1ltwfrsg said:

We all have opinions... even you. Anyway. If Don was this secret shredding guitarist he would have had no need for George. Come on man. Just listen to Georges progression from "Tooth and nail" thru "Back for the Attack"

Fret-Shredder":2n7h6ft6 said:
Mr. Willy":2n7h6ft6 said:
Fret-Shredder":2n7h6ft6 said:

We all have opinions... even you. Anyway. If Don was this secret shredding guitarist he would have had no need for George. Come on man. Just listen to Georges progression from "Tooth and nail" thru "Back for the Attack"

George was/is awesome, no doubt. It’s just super annoying to me how hyper critical guitarists are of other guitarists. Like it’s a boxing match or something. Is Don on the same level as George? Absolutely not, but as evidenced in this video, he’s not a slouch, or at least wasn’t back then. And I like “simple and boring” first position pentatonic licks. That’s all I can play. :D

Mr. Willy":3mjm5gbd said:
Fret-Shredder":3mjm5gbd said:
Mr. Willy":3mjm5gbd said:
Fret-Shredder":3mjm5gbd said:

George was/is awesome, no doubt. It’s just super annoying to me how hyper critical guitarists are of other guitarists. Like it’s a boxing match or something. Is Don on the same level as George? Absolutely not, but as evidenced in this video, he’s not a slouch, or at least wasn’t back then. And I like “simple and boring” first position pentatonic licks. That’s all I can play. :D

Right on man. Its all good. :rock:

Fret-Shredder":2sgdhek7 said:

dude don't get worked up by what "beyond black" says man ... he does tend to troll a little :LOL: :LOL:

sytharnia1560":104ymchy said:
Fret-Shredder":104ymchy said:

dude don't get worked up by what "beyond black" says man ... he does tend to troll a little :LOL: :LOL:
Uhhhhh, pretty sure he was was replying to Badronald saying that Don "ripped all over George." :doh:

Fret-Shredder":pp9fo769 said:

I don't think the OP meant that Don was even remotely close to George but I think most of us are used to seeing someone like Vince Neil get up with a guitar and people head for the bathroom. LOL!

If anything this forum is a George fanboi paradise (including myself in that). Would have been interesting to see what the band would have sounded like if Don would have kept playing on the majority of songs.

Alot of people don't realize that Stephen Pearcy from RATT was a guitar player first and then decided to stick to singing....I mean talking in a rhythmic voice. LOL!

Beyond Black":1ixjjbkb said:
sytharnia1560":1ixjjbkb said:
Fret-Shredder":1ixjjbkb said:

Uhhhhh, pretty sure he was was replying to Badronald saying that Don "ripped all over George." :doh:

you are correct ... I apologise :thumbsup:

Makes me wonder if it was a classic case of "We can't find a singer!"
Guitar players says, "I'll do it"

The amount of bands I saw and played on bills with while active was a constant parade of "Ah, couldn't find a singer either Ha?"

It sucks to add any fuel to LSD but if you don't have a good (and good can just mean charismatic) front person you'll only get so far. It's actually quite amazing the career Dokken had considering he didn't exactly have charisma either. At least Vince had that.

skoora":3h8x0g3w said:
Makes me wonder if it was a classic case of "We can't find a singer!"
Guitar players says, "I'll do it"

The amount of bands I saw and played on bills with while active was a constant parade of "Ah, couldn't find a singer either Ha?"

It sucks to add any fuel to LSD but if you don't have a good (and good can just mean charismatic) front person you'll only get so far. It's actually quite amazing the career Dokken had considering he didn't exactly have charisma either. At least Vince had that.

Yeah I agree. Not trying to slam the guy but he almost had this nerdy feel to him. I'm sure he is a great guy but never pictured him sitting around listening to hard rock and metal. I pictured him sipping wine and listening to jazz or something.

I remember reading how when Klaus Meine from the Scorpions messed his vocal cords up, they brought Don in to put down some of the tracks on Blackout or Love at First Sting. Wonder if those tapes are laying around somewhere?

When I was 16-17 years old..damn...that long ago?? lol!! I used to go to the clubs on the weekends in southern California.Don had a band called "Airborne" that was a mix of cover/original tunes. He was the guitar player vocalist in that band and I remember him being pretty damn good at the time..Same white LP Custom too..lol!

Back