NSD! Celestion Redback 4x12. 600W of Awesome.

I think I liked the V30s with the Recto the best, and the 75s with the Mark the best.

Makes me sad as the RBs look perfect on paper, but didn't sound as good to me.

Great comparison, Jeremy. Rev C I’m going
GB
RB
V30
Fortin
Fortin sounds much richer and juicier in the mids with all of them imo.
C++ I dig
GB
RB
V30
Thanks man. I feel very fortunate, after all these years of buying & selling so much gear, to be in a place where I have no wrong gear answers. Everything can rip!

I think I liked the V30s with the Recto the best, and the 75s with the Mark the best.

Makes me sad as the RBs look perfect on paper, but didn't sound as good to me.
This is definitely one of those cases where the mic isn't doin the RB justice. I think it's not recording well because it's a brand new stiff speaker. In the room, seriously, it might be my new favorite speaker. It has a shitload of layer & detail out of the box, I can't wait for it to break in. It will definitely be at my next gig!

(Given of course that I haven't tried all the vintage cones Sam is recommending!)

I was surprised by how good all of the speakers sounded. I never had any luck getting 75's or v30's to sound good to me. My speaker of choice is either old gb's or Scumback M75's loaded into a 4x12. Thank you for doing the comparison!!

I was surprised by how good all of the speakers sounded. I never had any luck getting 75's or v30's to sound good to me. My speaker of choice is either old gb's or Scumback M75's loaded into a 4x12. Thank you for doing the comparison!!
I've spent a lot of time a) finding old speakers that sound good and b) carefully measuring out mic placement. 1/8" movements make a difference.

Old GBs are always awesome. :) Not a go-to metal speaker by any means, however I really do like them with some of my amps for heavy stuff.

IMO the GBs have too much natural breakup for throwing that much gain at them. At least for my taste. Like they're crumbling apart from all the pushed preamp gain.
The V30s have the most solid, concrete midrange. For this I prefer them.
The Redbacks sound....not ready yet lol...

Did you apply HPF and/or LPF in Studio One?

IMO the GBs have too much natural breakup for throwing that much gain at them. At least for my taste. Like they're crumbling apart from all the pushed preamp gain.
The V30s have the most solid, concrete midrange. For this I prefer them.
The Redbacks sound....not ready yet lol...

Did you apply HPF and/or LPF in Studio One?
Yes, a mild HPF & LPF were applied.

The GBs are surprisingly brutal in the room. I've had a few other GB cabs in the past and none of them really held together at high gain like these do.

Alright here's some audio with the Rev C.

Also here's some more with the IIC++, however this was a few weeks ago when the RBs were still in my drummer's 2x12.

Thanks for doing these clips. One of the better recordings of Redbacks I've heard. Most sound muffled.

To me the GB and RB were the best in both clips. They had the most character, but in different ways. The RB didn't have as much upper mids/highs as the GB. I could go for either one depending on the situation.

The V30 sounded harsh to my ears and T75 were just bland.

I'd like to hear how they all compare in a mix; which one cuts through more and sounds better. I find it interesting how being in a mix can change the whole dynamic of a speaker and how I like the sound.

Nice! The Redback has become my favorite speaker. Just note, those plastic covers they put over the magnets may fall off. I've had 2 fall off and rattling around inside a cab so far lol. They're supposedly sort of a high wattage version of the GB, though I have no confirmation of that, I do hear some similarities. Pair these in a cab with V30s, and they sound great, there, too.

Nice! The Redback has become my favorite speaker. Just note, those plastic covers they put over the magnets may fall off. I've had 2 fall off and rattling around inside a cab so far lol. They're supposedly sort of a high wattage version of the GB, though I have no confirmation of that, I do hear some similarities. Pair these in a cab with V30s, and they sound great, there, too.
Redback is a refined version of the original G12H-75 Creamback prototype.

I think those clips above really show how transparent the RB is. I think it allows more of the amp’s natural voice to come through. All the other speakers (except the Hertiage Greenbacks, those colored the sound the least next to the RBs, imho) had a very distinct voice they’re adding to the sound. Especially the various versions of the V30 and the RI Greenback. All of those have a distinct voice they add. That’s one of the reasons I like the RB so much. I think the transparency of the speaker is what is talking most people aback when they hear it for the first time. All I know is that my SLO sounds bad ass through it, and that is THE PICKIEST amp for speakers I’ve ever played through.

Just for this thread…I had a few minutes between work and before everyone got home to record something loud enough to be gig volume. Thought it’d be interesting to hear what it sounds like in the room.

Straight into the front of a Soldano SLO into an Avatar 1x12 with the RB. I should note that I’m running a line out to the Katana and into 2 G12-65’s for some slapback, reverb, and chorus. It’s set really low, though.

I’m totally butchering some Van Halen, but eff it.

Just for this thread…I had a few minutes between work and before everyone got home to record something loud enough to be gig volume. Thought it’d be interesting to hear what it sounds like in the room.

Straight into the front of a Soldano SLO into an Avatar 1x12 with the RB. I should note that I’m running a line out to the Katana and into 2 G12-65’s for some slapback, reverb, and chorus. It’s set really low, though.

I’m totally butchering some Van Halen, but eff it.

That is a great sounding rig!!!

Whats the effects used in WET/DRY

That is a great sounding rig!!!

Whats the effects used in WET/DRY

Thanks! I’m running a line out from the SLO into a TC Electronic Alter Ego (slapback echo) into an old 90’s Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus into the FX return of the Katana head. Plate Reverb is from Katana. Speakers for wet side are G12-65.

I’m going to replace the Katana soon with a Fryette Power Station. The Katana is nice to have for a backup amp, though.

Oh really? That's interesting. I had a couple of H75s and didn't like them at all.

That’s probably because you had two mics on them. I’m seeing a trend here. maybe that works in your bedroom/the haven, but people that know good tone, don’t do this.

Back