Nut Slots

xzyryabx

I've moved to a smaller gauge of strings and the nut slots seem to be cut too deep for the new gauge.
Not sure what material the nut is made from, but it's seems to be a type of plastic or carbon fibre?
How do I go about repairing the deep slots?
I saw a youtube video where they mixed making soda w/ super glue and filled the slots in the they re-cut them....is that the best way to go?
The nut is black BTW, so I'm worried about the baking soda method since it seems to create a white filling...

Your best bet is to just replace the nut and re-slot the new one to the string gauge you're using. I've tried the "fill-in" method several times and each time it created more problems than it was supposed to solve. The last time I had it done, it made the guitar completely unplayable and would not hold tuning. Replacing the nut solved all the issues in that case and every other time I've tried "filling in" previously, Save yourself the headache and do it right the first time.

Also, if it's the ESP in your picture, the nut is most likely a GraphTech

It is the esp in the avatar, good guess!
Good to know its a graphtec....I'm pretty sure you're right.
It makes sense that you had tuning issues....from what I'm reading this is more of a temporary fix and I will in fact need a new but down the road.
Thanks for the way input!!

No problem. ESP has been using GraphTech for a long time now, so I'd almost guarantee that's what is on your guitar.

Back