Official Scumback Speakers Questions & Information Thread!

Scumback Speakers

Here's the Official Scumback Speakers Questions & Information Thread!

I've done these on other forums for quick answers (or more detailed ones) to player's questions on Scumback models, etc.

So while it's slow right before Super Bowl, and after NAMM, NAMM-THRAX, etc. I figured now would be a good time to start a discussion thread about any questions you might have.

So hit me up and I'll do my best to answer your questions here, or you can get really detailed on my recommendation form.

www.scumbackspeakers.com/recommend.html

Jim

sales@scumbackspeakers.com

I think V30 is the world standard for some years now... do you make your version of it?

Luca79":1hm60j3r said:
I think V30 is the world standard for some years now... do you make your version of it?
Well, actually there are about four versions of the V30 in the world. Marshall's version, Bogner's version, Mesa's version and the commercially available version. They don't always use the same parts.

I've seen V30's with a sharp raised rib on the cone, and there's also a round rib cone (444).

The closest I make to that is the H55 65w speaker with the rounded rib cone. I don't really pursue replicating current production Celestions, because I'm more focused in the vintage market that ended (for me anyway) in 1984 with the G12-65 and the G12-80.

i did a blind shoot out at jaded faith in NJ
rob is a tone maniac and a super cool tech that knows his shit.
He has a huge wall of i think about 20+ speakers wired up where he can switch from one speaker to another with a flick of a switch using any amp
this was an enlightening experience for and one that most folks don't get to partake in.
Obviously everyone knows speakers are the final filter on your tone but the amount of actual eq they add and the variance from speaker to speaker is MIND BLOWING.
using a ceriatone gargoyle i found that i liked the celestion classic 80 and the the G12 65 the most as they were clean, "flat" and just sounded great to me.
I am wondering what is in your line that would replicate these, especially the classic 80.
I am most def in the market for 2 new speakers and coincidentally decided on buying scumback before you made this thread.
Thanks!

controlled_voltage":1qjq0n3q said:
using a ceriatone gargoyle i found that i liked the celestion classic 80 and the the G12 65 the most as they were clean, "flat" and just sounded great to me.
I am wondering what is in your line that would replicate these, especially the classic 80.
I am most def in the market for 2 new speakers and coincidentally decided on buying scumback before you made this thread.
Thanks!
He's got a pair of M75 65w he got from me a few years back there as well.

G12-65 = BM75-LD

Here's a YT clip one of my clients did with an old G12-65 compared to my BM75-LD for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0y4E-uNmqU

G12-80 = BH75-LD

What is your recommendation from your line of speakers for something that will handle down-tuned high-gain with clarity and tightness without being overly shrill? :)

Rex Rocker":dn2mtjzo said:
What is your recommendation from your line of speakers for something that will handle down-tuned high-gain with clarity and tightness without being overly shrill? :)

I had H75LDC/H55 combo in an oversized Mills cab that were perfect for that style.

mhenson42":30vsmm9o said:
Rex Rocker":30vsmm9o said:

I had H75LDC/H55 combo in an oversized Mills cab that were perfect for that style.
What wattage rating? Ohms? H55 with the smaller dust cap? Thanks!

Rex Rocker":23svm1dl said:
mhenson42":23svm1dl said:
Rex Rocker":23svm1dl said:

What wattage rating? Ohms? H55 with the smaller dust cap? Thanks!

65w 8 ohm I don’t think there is a dust cap choice on the H55s

Rex Rocker":13bbb6dn said:
Normally the J75-LD or H75-LD depending on how much low end you need. J has more than an M75/G12M type, H75-LD is like a deeper version the G12-80 or my H75/G12H30 speaker.

It will depend a lot on the cab/amp/guitar pickups and fx used. Best to use the recommendation form so I have more details about the rig.

http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/recommend.html

With that said here's the BM75-LD 65w speaker compared to an original G12-65. Maybe this will do what you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0y4E-uNmqU

Scum makes some awesome speakers! I need to get one for my 1974x clone. I don't have the funds for a while though tbh

I'm a long time customer. Other than my Deluxe and my Katana practice amp, everything I have is Scumback equipped. I think the M75 is the perfect guitar speaker. I'm not a V30 hater, and I kinda like the Celestion GBs and Creambacks. But, if sound quality and richness is your only concern, then I don't see how you can do better than Scumback.

My main rig is a BE100 (modified with the relatively lower filtering and NFB of the Small Box). I use a Bogner 2x12 (the one that is half a 4x12) and then I have 2 of the Bogner ported Shiva-sized 1x12s. The 2x12 has two of the M75-65w. It is amazing. It needs a bit of volume to get going as these speakers have vintage doping (and mine are the blue frame models with a bit smaller magnets). Nearly every one of my YT videos is through this cab. Outstanding. I have an M75-100w in one of the 1x12s (which makes for a convenient grab and go extension) and I have an H75-65W LDC in the other. That makes for a bigger, bit more scooped tone.

I also have an H55-65W (not currently installed) that is THE Hendrix speaker. Just killer.

It is the richness of tone that sets these apart. Like I said, I like the V30 fine. It is a cold Dr Pepper on a hot day. The Creamback is even better - an IPA (the M) or a Dunkel (the H).

The Scumback is a single-malt scotch. Rich and 3d, with that vocal midrange and the cello-like harmonics.

I'm a fan. Hear the 2x12 with M75s below with a Bogner Helios in JTM30 mode:

While I'm not really a high-gain player, here is an SLO through the H75:

Forgot there was this pretty decent clip on YouTube. 70's Marshall, M75-PVC 4x12 with an Alex (now Scumback DBL) Attenuator set at -12db (the lowest setting). The guy gets a pretty decent AC/DC tone.

I'm loading a 4x12 from scratch and am torn about whether I should go with 8 ohm or 16 ohm speakers. I understand they will sound different, but I'm trying to figure out if one is inherently better or if it just comes down to taste?

Are you able to describe the general differences between your speakers when choosing 8ohm vs 16ohm? Thanks!

Meeotch":a4cqpc47 said:
I'm loading a 4x12 from scratch and am torn about whether I should go with 8 ohm or 16 ohm speakers. I understand they will sound different, but I'm trying to figure out if one is inherently better or if it just comes down to taste?

Are you able to describe the general differences between your speakers when choosing 8ohm vs 16ohm? Thanks!

I did some tests with Dave Friedman years ago. The 8ohm tap seemed to have a tiny bit more mids and a little more aggressive tone, while the 16 ohm had a little more bass and vintage feel.

Most 4x12 cabs are 16 ohm, far less are 8 ohm. Mostly it's a feel thing.

Back