Official Scumback Speakers Questions & Information Thread!

Thanks, and yeah after looking around the only 4x12 I could find that is 8ohms stock is the Mesa Rectifier 4x12. Problem is, I'm planning on mixing a pair of Mesa branded Vintage 30's with a pair of Scumbacks in this cab. Then I came across this video comparing the two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYxpg6s-XfQ

And I'm leaning towards 8 ohms. I never realized there could be such a sonic difference. I need to call Mesa and figure out why they load their 4x12's with 8ohm speakers when literally every other brand chooses 16 ohm. Just thought I would pick your brain, thanks!

There are some amps that work better with 8 ohm speakers than 16. It's really more of what the circuit is and what the output transformer is designed to work with.

i don't have a question but i just gotta say the M75 is a truly badass speaker. really love it many years later. thank you!!!!!

sleewell2":3p3wikvk said:
i don't have a question but i just gotta say the M75 is a truly badass speaker. really love it many years later. thank you!!!!!
No, thank you, sleewell2! Glad it's still working great for you!

Hi Jim,

I have a 1960A from the 90s that I thought I had properly installed the metal replacement handles into, but when I removed it from storage, I saw that I hadn't ever drilled the holes or installed the T-nuts! I don't even know if I have the kit in all my swag.

So I wondered if a) what happens if these are screwed into the same holes with the stock screws and b) is there a way to get a screw set if i pay S&H. i may even be able to find my old order #!

enigmachrysalis":2w6zi9i7 said:
Hi Jim,

I have a 1960A from the 90s that I thought I had properly installed the metal replacement handles into, but when I removed it from storage, I saw that I hadn't ever drilled the holes or installed the T-nuts! I don't even know if I have the kit in all my swag.

So I wondered if
a) what happens if these are screwed into the same holes with the stock screws

If the wood screws you are using still hold tight to the cab, they should be fine.

b) is there a way to get a screw set if i pay S&H. i may even be able to find my old order #!

Screw kits were always $5 extra, they are not included because some need them, others don't. Sounds like you don't, but check to make sure all of your screw holes are good.

If not, you need 10/32 x 1" machine screws with matching 10/32 T-nuts. Drill out your cab sides with 1/4" drill, using the handle holes as a template for where to drill. Pound the T-nuts into the holes from the inside, mount the handle, tighten the screws, and you're done.

Rdodson":1fck17ks said:
I'm a long time customer. Other than my Deluxe and my Katana practice amp, everything I have is Scumback equipped. I think the M75 is the perfect guitar speaker. I'm not a V30 hater, and I kinda like the Celestion GBs and Creambacks. But, if sound quality and richness is your only concern, then I don't see how you can do better than Scumback.

My main rig is a BE100 (modified with the relatively lower filtering and NFB of the Small Box). I use a Bogner 2x12 (the one that is half a 4x12) and then I have 2 of the Bogner ported Shiva-sized 1x12s. The 2x12 has two of the M75-65w. It is amazing. It needs a bit of volume to get going as these speakers have vintage doping (and mine are the blue frame models with a bit smaller magnets). Nearly every one of my YT videos is through this cab. Outstanding. I have an M75-100w in one of the 1x12s (which makes for a convenient grab and go extension) and I have an H75-65W LDC in the other. That makes for a bigger, bit more scooped tone.

I also have an H55-65W (not currently installed) that is THE Hendrix speaker. Just killer.

It is the richness of tone that sets these apart. Like I said, I like the V30 fine. It is a cold Dr Pepper on a hot day. The Creamback is even better - an IPA (the M) or a Dunkel (the H).

The Scumback is a single-malt scotch. Rich and 3d, with that vocal midrange and the cello-like harmonics.

I'm a fan. Hear the 2x12 with M75s below with a Bogner Helios in JTM30 mode:

While I'm not really a high-gain player, here is an SLO through the H75:

That made me thirsty.

LPMojoGL":12ihx8ee said:
Rdodson":12ihx8ee said:
I'm a long time customer. Other than my Deluxe and my Katana practice amp, everything I have is Scumback equipped. I think the M75 is the perfect guitar speaker. I'm not a V30 hater, and I kinda like the Celestion GBs and Creambacks. But, if sound quality and richness is your only concern, then I don't see how you can do better than Scumback.

My main rig is a BE100 (modified with the relatively lower filtering and NFB of the Small Box). I use a Bogner 2x12 (the one that is half a 4x12) and then I have 2 of the Bogner ported Shiva-sized 1x12s. The 2x12 has two of the M75-65w. It is amazing. It needs a bit of volume to get going as these speakers have vintage doping (and mine are the blue frame models with a bit smaller magnets). Nearly every one of my YT videos is through this cab. Outstanding. I have an M75-100w in one of the 1x12s (which makes for a convenient grab and go extension) and I have an H75-65W LDC in the other. That makes for a bigger, bit more scooped tone.

I also have an H55-65W (not currently installed) that is THE Hendrix speaker. Just killer.

It is the richness of tone that sets these apart. Like I said, I like the V30 fine. It is a cold Dr Pepper on a hot day. The Creamback is even better - an IPA (the M) or a Dunkel (the H).

The Scumback is a single-malt scotch. Rich and 3d, with that vocal midrange and the cello-like harmonics.

I'm a fan. Hear the 2x12 with M75s below with a Bogner Helios in JTM30 mode:

While I'm not really a high-gain player, here is an SLO through the H75:

That made me thirsty.

That SLO clip sounds killer. I have wanted Scums for a long time and have always figured M75 or BM75 would be best for me but that clip has me second guessing.

Scum, what speaker of yours would come closest to Splawn's Smallblock?

EDIT:

or if you would recommend for a KT88 Nitro or Promod. Both are running half power @50 watts.

swamptrashstompboxes":fgvce69h said:
Scum, what speaker of yours would come closest to Splawn's Smallblock?

EDIT:

or if you would recommend for a KT88 Nitro or Promod. Both are running half power @50 watts.

From what I understand, the old Eminence made Splawn Small Block is a clone of the M75. So that's what I'd recommend if that's what you like.

Coronavirus Origin Theories
coronavirus-origin-theories-poster-vector-medium.png

https://creazilla.com/nodes/19974-coronavirus-origin-theories-poster-vector

Jim, I’ve got a Marshal 4x12 with an X Pattern of M75-LD’s and H75-LD’s. I’m using it with mostly a Mesa Mark IV and a Monomyth Marshall for very heavy, high gain tones, tuned in D-D#. The cab’s got plenty of lows. I’d like more highs and more volume. Volume to hang with my Greenback loaded cab, and a V30 loaded cab. As of now, it’s considerably more quiet. I’m thinking keep the H’s, that are 99db, and change the M’s that are 97db? What do you suggest?

Beyond Black":1oetznw5 said:
Jim, I’ve got a Marshal 4x12 with an X Pattern of M75-LD’s and H75-LD’s. I’m using it with mostly a Mesa Mark IV and a Monomyth Marshall for very heavy, high gain tones, tuned in D-D#. The cab’s got plenty of lows. I’d like more highs and more volume. Volume to hang with my Greenback loaded cab, and a V30 loaded cab. As of now, it’s considerably more quiet. I’m thinking keep the H’s, that are 99db, and change the M’s that are 97db? What do you suggest?

Yeah, switch the M75-LD to H75-LD, that'll boost the volume and the treble.

Jim,
Longtime lover of your products - you know that. The M75-65w is my jam. I have the Bogner 2x12 that is squatty, basically a 4x12 cut in half. Two blue-frame M75-65w 16ohm wired to 8ohm. Sounds killer. I have another Bogner ported 1x12 with the M65-100w. That sounds good too, though it needs a little more push to get it going. Then I have another Bogner ported 1x12 with a H75 LD (65w). That gets used less often. I just like the GB/M magnet sound more.

I just got a Bogner 20th Anniversary Ecstasy (had one years ago that I sold and regretted since) after playing a Friedman BE100 for the last 5 years. I have noticed I really like the H75LD with it. It sounds really nice - I still like the M65s too, but I haven't enjoyed playing that H75 as much before. What are your recommendations? I have an old ('82) G12-65 that I thought about pairing with that H75 in a 2x12.

Back