Online amp demos

The thing that's missing is just that they don't sound as fat or loud as the clips I like of gear demos on YouTube, but maybe that could be from them EQ'ing or doing other things to it afterwards.
You'd need some limiting to hit CD level loudness.

This video is pretty interesting. The noodling at the beginning and middle don’t really say much but the comparisons between a normal dry signal and one that’s been eq’d, compressed and given the studio treatment is facinating.

There are a couple guys, that no matter what amp they play, it sounds exactly the same!!! It’s the oddest thing I’ve ever seen!! Literally, exactly the same!! And one of the demo dudes, no matter what amp played, regardless of how bad ass the amp is, makes it sounds like a box of sizzling 🐝’s!!!!

I saw an amp I was looking forward to hearing and sure enough, the sizzling box of 🐝’s was back in full force!! Whoa!! I didn’t even know such a thing was possible!!!!

I want to see the right guy demoing the right amp/guitar, etc.

Also, I don’t like it when a mellow rock or blues guy demos a vicious high gain monster and doesn’t show what the amp was designed for, but instead shows a bunch of low to mid gain bluesy and pop style riffs. Hey, I love a good blues player, but I don’t want to see said blues guy demo a monster of high gain type amp.

rant over! Carry on!
I wonder what the common denominator is? Are they using IRs? Is it the same IR? Same guitar? Same riff each time? Same mic? Room dynamics are also important.

What I dislike more is a vid showing the potential of lots of post-processing of an amp without telling you they added all sorts of tube-sounding plugins and a Helix Native/Kemper/Axe FX/Bias FX version of the setup into the mix. I don't mind so much if the person doing the presentation is a bit of a knob as the universe there hasn't really changed much when it comes to guitarists anyway :p I am glad they are at least playing and not complaining about another guitarist in a flame war. Shut up and play is the better ethics there. So anyway, what's the common denominator? And yeah, let's not say 'the guy' as rarely is anyone gifted. It's just hard work learning to get it right.

Who cares?

Only fools resist what is to their distaste beyond ignoring it, let alone posting it for others to get "critical" about.

Waste of time.

Many of these guys post vids for our enjoyment / research / whatever - with little to no reward. It can takes ages to put together even a short video, and no matter what you do people will come along and critisize the shit out of it. Don't get me wrong, if they ask for constructive feedback it should be given, but saying 'your clips are shit' does not have a good net result.

I started a thread a while back about how people like to hear demos - there wasn't even close to a consensus among the small group here. Some said an iPhone is the 'best' way to represent the amp (which blows my mind), others close micing etc. Then there is personal taste of course, and now we have infinite definitions of good tone.

Jeremy nailed it:

Can’t make anyone happy these days so may as well do what you like!

As an unpaid content creator you can just do what you want, and people can tune in and enjoy and keep coming back, or tune out.

You'd need some limiting to hit CD level loudness.
I’m just trying to be as loud as the other demos I see on YouTube. If I can get that, a little fatter sound and just slightly less sizzly/scratchy then I’ll be pretty happy with my overall sound

Last edited:
I’m just trying to be as loud as the other demos I see on YouTube. If I can get that, a little fatter sound and just slightly less sizzly/scratchy then I’ll be pretty happy with my overall sound
You'd still need limiter for that. There's only so much you can do with cranking mixer volume.

IMO if try to get a very saturated and compressed sound, every amp through the same cab will sound almost the same. Like Ola :D
All the new demo with OX and similar all sound good, and fake :D

I find high gain amp demos weird in general when it's just the amp being played in iso.

A great guitar tone that kills in a mix will never sound good by itself and vice versa.

Some guys chase that 'huge' crushing tone only to drop it in a mix and wonder why it disappears.

I love demos where the amp is in a mix though because that's where an amp belongs.

Maybe i'm just getting old but i only like to evaluate a guitar tone or an amp once drums and bass are in there too.

I find high gain amp demos weird in general when it's just the amp being played in iso.

A great guitar tone that kills in a mix will never sound good by itself and vice versa.

Some guys chase that 'huge' crushing tone only to drop it in a mix and wonder why it disappears.

I love demos where the amp is in a mix though because that's where an amp belongs.

Maybe i'm just getting old but i only like to evaluate a guitar tone or an amp once drums and bass are in there too.
Ultra baste comment, laddington.

I think your mic'd shit sounds fkn awesome. You capture the types of tones and settings that I usually strive for but are way better at it than me and with fkn mics! Always looking forward to your clips dude :cheers:

Your clips sound great as well dude and the vids make it super awesome, it’s like mini thrash movies I get pumped for. Told yah someone should hire you to write action scene music

One our members videos are like that. And way too frequent.
You might as well just @ me, dude.

I don't really understand the point of this thread, or the point in being passive aggressive or too soft to name names if you're already posting negativity just to instigate.

My view will always be, if you want to bitch about something, prove you can do it better, or stop bitching. Also, constructive criticism is totally fine, if you're genuinely saying you think someone could improve something and give them pointers, but bitching just to bitch is weak person shit.

Also, to the fine folks of this forum that actually do contribute in a positive manner, with clips or videos (Bubbastain, Errl, Jerevil to name a few) thanks for back up your experiences with efforts to actually capture what you're hearing. This stuff takes time, and effort. I feel like this is truly what forums should be about.

Sitting well in the mix is great until it's time to lead solo and then your tone either flunks or passes with flying colors. Isn't really a middle ground area like chorus or verse sections.

Also, to the fine folks of this forum that actually do contribute in a positive manner, with clips or videos (Bubbastain, Errl, Jerevil to name a few) thanks for back up your experiences with efforts to actually capture what you're hearing. This stuff takes time, and effort. I feel like this is truly what forums should be about.

i love watching all you guys and have learned stuff from everyone, at some point i want to make legit vids like you and jer

i actually bought one of these mics months ago for the "in room" crowd here and havent even opened it, one of these days i gotta give it a try.

iu

i actually bought one of these mics months ago for the "in room" crowd here and havent even opened it, one of these days i gotta give it a try.

iu
That could be interesting man! Curious how that will end up sounding. Post some samples whenever you break it out

I wonder what the common denominator is? Are they using IRs? Is it the same IR? Same guitar? Same riff each time? Same mic? Room dynamics are also important.

What I dislike more is a vid showing the potential of lots of post-processing of an amp without telling you they added all sorts of tube-sounding plugins and a Helix Native/Kemper/Axe FX/Bias FX version of the setup into the mix. I don't mind so much if the person doing the presentation is a bit of a knob as the universe there hasn't really changed much when it comes to guitarists anyway :p I am glad they are at least playing and not complaining about another guitarist in a flame war. Shut up and play is the better ethics there. So anyway, what's the common denominator? And yeah, let's not say 'the guy' as rarely is anyone gifted. It's just hard work learning to get it right.
It’s probably mic placement (if that hadn’t already been said).

One thing I’ve noticed, whenever I’ve recorded with my iPhone it turns out super bright; so I re do it much darker and it’s still bright. I may have to purchase a plug in mic like Race.

Back