Opinions on 500T in Les Paul

troublehead

I just scored this mint 99' Classic and I've never used the 500T other than in a V and I honestly don't remember much about it. I'll be playing heavy southern rock and classic metal with hot rodded Marshall tones if that helps. Any reason to start thinking about a pickup swap.........even before I receive the guitar :LOL: :LOL:

classic.jpg

Not a fan... If I stay stock with a Lester, it's the 57s and the BB series of pups that stay. However, having said that, this is a gorgeous gutiar (btw!!! :thumbsup: ) and offers a maple top, rosewood fingerboard, mahog body. Not sure if it's a true reissue (therefore not chambered or weight relieved) as this has a bearing on the pups inherent tone.

Here's the rundown for me:
57s - gorgeous with a brighter guitar, maple topped typically
BBs - can be a bit dark, just depends on style and wood

Replacements (knowing full well I'm a BKP fanboi:)
Riff Raffs, hot vintagey tones for a guitar that needs a little brightening up, one of the nicest pups for a Les
Mules, the "Better Burst Bucker", neutral in their bright/dark change, but juicier than stock (overtones)
Black Dogs, the f*ckin' money when it comes to a perfectly balanced Lester (wood wise), offers OOOMPH!!

I wouldn't want higher output pups for any Lester, as Lesters have sweet knocking wood tone, why kill that :dunno: The 3 sets mentioned above are tried, tested and true to Lester form.

Good luck...
Mo :thumbsup:

For what you are doing with that guitar is should be a great pickup. '57 Classics will not cut it for that stuff and I have never heard a BB that I could stand. I used to run all 500Ts in my LPC's before I got way into BKPs a few years ago. Still have a 500T in my Explorer that I use in my JP tribute playing mostly 70's era JP tunes and it works perfectly with my '77 2203 and a boost.

They have sounded great in every guitar I have put one in including a LP. I would try it out with your band before ditching it. You might be pleasantly suprised :thumbsup:

Ventura":1jwb86xn said:
Not a fan... If I stay stock with a Lester, it's the 57s and the BB series of pups that stay. However, having said that, this is a gorgeous gutiar (btw!!! :thumbsup: ) and offers a maple top, rosewood fingerboard, mahog body. Not sure if it's a true reissue (therefore not chambered or weight relieved) as this has a bearing on the pups inherent tone.

Riff Raffs, hot vintagey tones for a guitar that needs a little brightening up, one of the nicest pups for a Les
Mules, the "Better Burst Bucker", neutral in their bright/dark change, but juicier than stock (overtones)
Black Dogs, the f*ckin' money when it comes to a perfectly balanced Lester (wood wise), offers OOOMPH!!

I wouldn't want higher output pups for any Lester, as Lesters have sweet knocking wood tone, why kill that :dunno: The 3 sets mentioned above are tried, tested and true to Lester form.

Good luck...

My other LP has a Mule in the bridge so I want to keep this thing "less traditional" and will probably keep it downtuned a bit for some of our heavier songs. If I don't dig the 500T, I will probably jump for something in the BKP "Contemporary" line......but without going over the top output-wise.

Really hot, aggressive and ceramic. Whether that works for you or not is subjective though, but I'd certainly try 'em out before yanking them.

I have a classic, love heavy metal and changed the pickup. The thing was really compressed and didn't do anything for me... I put a BKP Mule and I am much happier...

troublehead":166unrdm said:
Ventura":166unrdm said:

Good luck...

My other LP has a Mule in the bridge so I want to keep this thing "less traditional" and will probably keep it downtuned a bit for some of our heavier songs. If I don't dig the 500T, I will probably jump for something in the BKP "Contemporary" line......but without going over the top output-wise.
Well, as mentioned and observed above, opinions are like assholes- everyone has one. So it's really up to you and what you like :yes: Just cuz I didn't gel with 500s doesn't mean the rest of the world can't, so my guess is try it out, hammer the snot out of it under varied volumes and EQs and see how she flies. If it's not yer kettle o' fish, and want a little more fire in the belly, hit the Black Dogs up or even - for detuning - the Abraxas. Of course, for pure ballsout grit and power, the Painkillers are off zee hook.

Again, COMPLETELY subjective opinion, your ears shall be your guide!!

Let us know either way though :thumbsup:
V.

Really not a fan of the 500T. I prefer alnico5 magnet's, and the 500T has a ceramic magnet. They are not terrible, but I think that guitar deserves better than anything Gibson makes. There are many options that are much better than the 500T imho.

chunktone":3ru8c93g said:
Really not a fan of the 500T. I prefer alnico5 magnet's, and the 500T has a ceramic magnet. They are not terrible, but I think that guitar deserves better than anything Gibson makes. There are many options that are much better than the 500T imho.
My kinda guy... :thumbsup:

V.

I would play awhile on those stock pickups and get a good feel before switching out. I like the 490/498 and Burstbuckers i have in my Gibbys...that being said, I'm ready to hear some BKs :)

troublehead":1kre7rgz said:
I just scored this mint 99' Classic and I've never used the 500T other than in a V and I honestly don't remember much about it. I'll be playing heavy southern rock and classic metal with hot rodded Marshall tones if that helps. Any reason to start thinking about a pickup swap.........even before I receive the guitar :LOL: :LOL:

classic.jpg
I've read in numerous places that the PRS Tremonti bridge pickup is based off of the 500T. Don't know that I've played a 500T but if it's anything like the tremonti, at least give it a go. I love that pickup!

dont fall for to much hype and use your ears. That being said, I think that they are awesome especially when using older style amps like jmp's or jcm's that need to be pushed a bit to overdrive. I think they are one of gibsons better sounding pickups for the hot rodded marshall thing. Nice lp classic by the way, much better then todays production lp stuff.

I got a LP Classic in trade a while back. It had a 500T in the bridge. I assumed I would hate it because I am a big MCP and BG Pickups fan. I don't love the tone of the guitar on it's own but in a band mix, it is awesome. I ended up taking the MCP Solution out of my LP clone and putting a 500T in it as well.

i swear by the 500T in my Customs. Never had issues...and everytime i use always get compliments on the guitar..even thru different amp setups. always killed it. Again, its not for everyone. But i was pleasantly suprised the first time i used one & found out it was a Gibson pickup. Try it out...you may be surprised. :rock:

Back