Peavey Triple XXX - My Old Go-To

Bad.Seed

The Peavey Triple XXX STILL gets it in for me, regardless of how many boutique or rare amps pass through my hands. This will always be one of my favorite high gain chug monsters!

People love to hate this amp. IT's a Peavey. The cosmetics are terrible. The EQ "names" are ridiculous. Many reasons this amp didn't do well in it's time and those reasons were pretty much all Peavey's fault.

But, when people step past all that, it really seems that anyone spends some time with the amp, knowing what it's supposed to deliver, ends up digging it.

It's been one of my favorite high gain tones for years, and seems to FINALLY be gaining a more positive reputation. I've talked about this amp a few times on this forum and it's generally respected around here, but the masses are now catching on as well.

My first guitar amp was a Peavey, back in '85.

Literally, every time I see that logo now...

hbf4TkD.jpg

Waiting for Peavey to jump on the mini XXX lunchbox head bandwagon. They should make a smaller 50w version with a bunch of cool options

Waiting for Peavey to jump on the mini XXX lunchbox head bandwagon. They should make a smaller 50w version with a bunch of cool options
They have missed a million opportunities to do cool stuff with the Ultra Series in recent years. It sucks to see, but they have really made themselves irrelevant in the new gear and design market.

I used to have a Triple XXX that never quite worked right. I ended up selling it cheap, but maybe I should've spent some time fixing it. It sounded great at low volumes, but it farted out horribly at high volumes. Oh well...

Killer demo, as always, man!

I used to have a Triple XXX that never quite worked right. I ended up selling it cheap, but maybe I should've spent some time fixing it. It sounded great at low volumes, but it farted out horribly at high volumes. Oh well...

Killer demo, as always, man!
Yeah something was wrong there. These amps stay butthole tight at any volume, very clean power section!
And thank you!

Dang there was a period when covid first hit I'd see these cheap on craigs all the time... Kind of wish I grabbed one then. Cool vid.

They have missed a million opportunities to do cool stuff with the Ultra Series in recent years. It sucks to see, but they have really made themselves irrelevant in the new gear and design market.
Agreed. Peavey should release a line of their classic amps in 50 watt head format in a smaller size, about the size of the EVH 50 watters. 6505, 6505+, XXX and of course the VTM. All their shit is made overseas now, so there no reason these couldn’t hit the streets around $6-$700. Tons of people would buy at least one. Lots will probably buy one of each.

My first all tube amp. Foolishly sold it to make room for an Engl PB and Savage. Well the Engls are long gone and I have recently replaced the Triple XXX.

In the bedroom dungeon:

Attachments

• 20201023_133310.jpg
    20201023_133310.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 50
Agreed. Peavey should release a line of their classic amps in 50 watt head format in a smaller size, about the size of the EVH 50 watters. 6505, 6505+, XXX and of course the VTM. All their shit is made overseas now, so there no reason these couldn’t hit the streets around $6-$700. Tons of people would buy at least one. Lots will probably buy one of each.
I agree. I know I'd be in the market. They're missing massive opportunities, and it's not even like they're pushing new designs. They're just stagnant. I don't know what they're doing.

I've been after another XXX for months. Prices have gotten ridiculous.
If you can diagnose and fix them, I have one sitting at my old place back in Louisiana than I can sell you on the cheap. I think it’s just a blown fuse.

I had an old Mullard in V1. The glass cracked on it. The preamp tubes are recessed a little below the chassis. When I grabbed it, the Mullard shattered in my left hand. I couldn’t play for a year and a half because of the nerve damage. I’m still not the same today. That’s why that amp has sat put! Bad karma for me.

If you can diagnose and fix them, I have one sitting at my old place back in Louisiana than I can sell you on the cheap. I think it’s just a blown fuse.

I had an old Mullard in V1. The glass cracked on it. The preamp tubes are recessed a little below the chassis. When I grabbed it, the Mullard shattered in my left hand. I couldn’t play for a year and a half because of the nerve damage. I’m still not the same today. That’s why that amp has sat put! Bad karma for me.
Woof. That's wild man. I've always been afraid of that same thing with stubborn tubes/sockets.

I'll give Napalm first dibs, but if he doesn't want the XXX, shoot me a message.

Woof. That's wild man. I've always been afraid of that same thing with stubborn tubes/sockets.

I'll give Napalm first dibs, but if he doesn't want the XXX, shoot me a message.
Cool. I’m rolling up there at the end of this week. I will pick it up. It has the cover and everything on it.

Back