Pickup for bigger sound?

Well …for bigger bandwidth, headroom?
I say EMG’S with the 24volt mod.
THAT! Wiill fill things up & out like a champion.
What’s super killer about the 24volt mod is it
mends the stale sorta’ active pick-ups dilemma
into rubbish, increases the feel and speed of the attack dramatically, adjustment height is critical.
The pickups I installed were the Jim Root sig
pickups.
If getting the cruncher’s is what you’re after, I’d
lose the Wolfetone’s immediately, those seat
themselves in rock & blues.
Too loose & chewy.
I’d only rock Marshallheads with the
Dr Vintage neck pick-up if I went Wolfetone.
And likely wax pot the Marshallhead

Honestly I don't know how pickups can sound massive. To me, it's the whole entire signal chain that dictates what is massive, and pickups may only alter it a slight bit, because I get that pickups can make a difference. I just don't think that big a difference.
We'll said.
I never hear big changes with pickups. Subtle at best.

Well …for bigger bandwidth, headroom?
I say EMG’S with the 24volt mod.
THAT! Wiill fill things up & out like a champion.
What’s super killer about the 24volt mod is it
mends the stale sorta’ active pick-ups dilemma
into rubbish, increases the feel and speed of the attack dramatically, adjustment height is critical.
The pickups I installed were the Jim Root sig
pickups.
If getting the cruncher’s is what you’re after, I’d
lose the Wolfetone’s immediately, those seat
themselves in rock & blues.
Too loose & chewy.
I’d only rock Marshallheads with the
Dr Vintage neck pick-up if I went Wolfetone.
And likely wax pot the Marshallhead
Marshallheads didn't sound good in my LP so I never revisited.

We'll said.
I never hear big changes with pickups. Subtle at best.
Put a SD Invader in your guitar, play it for a while, then install a SD Dimebucker and tell me it's still subtle.

Most pickup companies try to make really balanced sounding pickups, so a lot of them can sound quite similar but there are pickups out there that have some very unique characteristics, and are not exactly balanced sounding.

Honestly I don't know how pickups can sound massive. To me, it's the whole entire signal chain that dictates what is massive, and pickups may only alter it a slight bit, because I get that pickups can make a difference. I just don't think that big a difference.
Pickups, like guitars have resonant peaks. How they interact with each other impacts the tone quite a bit. The same pickup isn’t always going to have the same result with different guitars. A pickup with a low resonant peak can add bottom end or fill out an otherwise thinner sounding guitar making it sound bigger. A guitar that sounds muddy or lifeless can be woken up by a pickup with a higher resonant peak making it sound big and open. The output and the magnet type determines the feel as well. It’s all about finding what works best for a specific guitar.

Pickups, like guitars have resonant peaks. How they interact with each other impacts the tone quite a bit. The same pickup isn’t always going to have the same result with different guitars. A pickup with a low resonant peak can add bottom end or fill out an otherwise thinner sounding guitar making it sound bigger. A guitar that sounds muddy or lifeless can be woken up by a pickup with a higher resonant peak making it sound big and open. The output and the magnet type determines the feel as well. It’s all about finding what works best for a specific guitar.
You're right about all that, but now take your preferred pickup-loaded axe and plug it into a Gorilla amp and see if you have that same big sound.

You're right about all that, but now take your preferred pickup-loaded axe and plug it into a Gorilla amp and see if you have that same big sound.
No argument that everything in the chain matters, but that was never in question.

I have aldrich in my LP classic and wicked 8 in my chubtone explorer. The wicked 8 neck pickup smokes the Aldrich it isn't even close. To me it's everything I like about the sentient pickup which is one of my favorites times 10. It sings and sounds full, even and crystal clear. The bridge pickup to me seems fatter in the wicked 8 but it hold up better in lower tuning vs the Aldrich. It also has a good bit more clarity. They are similar but if I was shopping for pickups I would buy 2 sets of wicked 8s vs the Aldrich set and it's not even a compromise in tone.

Honestly I had pretty high expectations for the chubtone guitar but every part of it exceeded my expectations especially the wicked 8 pickups.

It's the warmth, compression and chewiness of the Aldrich I love so much. Then again, I love the Tremonti and SC250 in my PRS guitars.

Hey guys,

I have a black all mahogany PRS McCarty. I am using a Wolfetone Timbrewolf in the bridge position. If sounds good but I want this guitar to be a big thicker and bigger sounding.

The neck McCarty pickup is too dark and muffled but ok when clean.

I do like the timberwolf but I think it worked better in my Les Paul where I loved it.

What about a Tremonti Bridge pickup or Suhr Aldrich for the bridge?

Update - this pickup will actually go into a 2001 PRS Singlecut which is mahogany with a maple top.
TL;DR all posts.

BKP Rebel Yells adorn 3 of my Lesters now due to their sounding fucking amazing through all amps with all musical styles.
/end

Thanks for your comments!
A Les Paul actually has a maple top - at least most do. I've never had an all mahogany LP.
I've had lots of LPs and they have all had a mahogany ad maple top. I have a handful of PRS guitars that are also mahogany with maple top. I've had all mahogany SGs, since they don't have maple tops, but this is my first all mahogany guitar since my SGs which are both sold. SGs are also much thinner.

This McCarty, unlike my LPs, is solid mahogany with no maple top and is almost 10 lbs.

I find non weight relieved guitars so t sound as loud acoustically, but are very focused with good sustain. Solid mahogany tends to have a good growl, where my LPs have a different sound, more balanced.
Black Beauty triple-pup '57 both original and R.I. are all mahogany - back and cap - with ebony fretboard to offset the otherwise darker mahogany tone-wood. I have both guitars.

Any on have comments on the Alnico V Warpig?
Seems like that's a dark pickup, possibly in the ballpark of my PRS Dragon I bridge pickup which is over 19k and on the dark side.

Seems like that's a dark pickup, possibly in the ballpark of my PRS Dragon I bridge pickup which is over 19k and on the dark side.
I know that Johnny from Sheer Terror uses one & loves it. It's beefy, Thick & Warm from what he's told me.

When I started this post, I had a McCarty which I have since sold
Now I'm looking for similar in my Singlecut, but I should have added that I like a pickup in this instance with good lows, better for chunky riffs, rather than super tight. I like more forgiving, chewy, fat tones. I like more compression than most as well.

I feel like the Aldrich is almost perfect for me but I wish it had a little more low end.

I've used one - two actually - ESP Horizon and a Lester Studio - worked "okay" in the Horizon, but I felt it was waaaay to hot and over-the-top.
As for the Lester Studio - muddy AF...just too much. Way too much.
YMMV

Thanks Ventura,
I guess it depends on the pickup and guitar. I have some hot pickups like the PRS Dragons that are great. The bridge pickup is hot.

Back