Pickup for bigger sound?

sounds good. how is the high end? i seem to dig in too hard which causes any high end fizz to be more noticeable.
The high end is present but in a pleasant way. I have pretty heavy hand as well and dont notice any "fizz:" to the high end. I did find that I have this pickup set quite a bit lower than I would typically. All the notes sound fatter across the frequency spectrum.

The high end is present but in a pleasant way. I have pretty heavy hand as well and dont notice any "fizz:" to the high end. I did find that I have this pickup set quite a bit lower than I would typically. All the notes sound fatter across the frequency spectrum.
Ok now i'm really interested.

How is the Wicked 8 compared to the Aldrich? Did you get it?

I'm looking for really fat, full and warm. Maybe even a dense and thick pickup.

Wicked 8, Aldrich, BBQ, Fralin High Output, PRS Tremonti and others from which to choose.
https://www.seymourduncan.com/single-product/invaderIn my opinion I think this pickup would get you that. I had a all mongany guitar (which is already warm sounding guitar) with these pickups in it and was super fat, and huge sounding, warm and thick. I have a Tremonti sig baritone and it sounds massive as well, in my opinion a little more open, bigger and clear then the Aldrich, which I love as well.

Too big and fat for a singlecut?
Have you tried the Aldrich? I'd want the one that is darker and maybe more forgiving.
You’d probably like the Aldrich more. The Afwayu sounds huge, with a big low end, but it’s tighter, less compressed, and not “wooly” as Scott accurately described of the Aldrich.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/single-product/invaderIn my opinion I think this pickup would get you that. I had a all mongany guitar (which is already warm sounding guitar) with these pickups in it and was super fat, and huge sounding, warm and thick. I have a Tremonti sig baritone and it sounds massive as well, in my opinion a little more open, bigger and clear then the Aldrich, which I love as well.
Thanks, I'm leaning toward the Aldrich but I will read about the Invader. Thanks.

You’d probably like the Aldrich more. The Afwayu sounds huge, with a big low end, but it’s tighter, less compressed, and not “wooly” as Scott accurately described of the Aldrich.
This is very helpful. I don't want to over think this so I think I'll grab a Suhr Aldrich with gold cover.

I don't need super articulate and right. I like more chunky and fat.

Good call, I think you’ll dig it. It’s very thick and saturated.
Yes sir, I have one in a Les Paul.
It's got fat mids, and cuts well. Sits in the mix well.
I thought my Rio Grande BBQ was thick, but I found or find the Aldrich to be even thicker and more saturated.

Anyone try the Holy River?

Last edited:
As others have stated pickups are very subjective to taste and what you like; but the sh5 has always been my “fix it” pup.
I put one in a cheap import jackson and it sounds huge to me.

Try a Tom Anderson H3, Seymour Duncan custom custom or Seymour Duncan invader.
I have the Duncan Custom that I tried the A2,A5,and A8 magnets in. I ended up going with the A2, because my 1973 pancake Les Paul goldtop was a bit on the bright side. Every Les Paul will like different things, so make it your own.

Honestly I don't know how pickups can sound massive. To me, it's the whole entire signal chain that dictates what is massive, and pickups may only alter it a slight bit, because I get that pickups can make a difference. I just don't think that big a difference.

Back