Pickup question (fishman)

magh8

Banned
Regarding the fluence Classic open core and modern...
How do they differ?
I like the moderns but may need an open coil to fit in a guitar..

I'm interested in this too. Have the same issue. I love the Modern but would need an open coil to fit.

I have a bunch of the Fluence sets, and to me the short version is that the Modern Ceramic sounds and feels a lot like an EMG 81 in voice 1 but with a little more organic feel and clarity. Voice 2 is a lot like a Duncan Invader, hot tight and bassy, a little on the dark side in big pieces of mahogany. The Modern Alnico is the same basic feel but a little rounder and slightly less blistering hot.

The Classic on the other hand: Voice 1 is alnico 5 PAF through and through, closest to me would be a Duncan 59 bridge, maybe edging a little toward a Burstbucker Pro and voice 2 is straight up Duncan JB with a slight tweak to even out the EQ a tad.

Since you’re interested in open coils I’ll throw in the Keith Merrow set for consideration too. SUPER versatile and clear. Modern voiced in voice 1 but not hot at all, medium output-ish (considerably less than an SH-5 Custom), but with a big growly low mid chunk like they say without being bass-heavy and muddy and a clear chiming top that’s glassy without being ice picky at all. Voice 1 makes me think of a Duncan Pegasus with a nice chug. Voice 2 is hot PAF, something like a Burstbucker 2 or 3 without any harshness.

If you don’t have any already I’ll say up front that all Fluence bridges that have poles are F spaced, but they work fine in my G-spaced guitars, just bothers me a little when I notice the poles and strings don’t line up.

I have the Open Core's in 2 guitars and I LOVE them. My favorite all around active pickup.

Back