Pickup Suggestions for an LP Custom?

RevDrucifer

I’ve got an Edwards LPC on the way and am trying to figure out what pickups I want to put in it. I’m a huge fan of Zakk’s tones on No More Tears and Ozzmosis, but am not an EMG fan, nor am I a fan of anything with a really high output. I’ve already got Fishmans in one guitar and I dig them, but not enough to put in anything else.

The BKP Miracle Man was suggested to me, but it’s hard to get an idea of how it sounds with YouTube demos because everyone uses so much fucking distortion. :ROFLMAO:

Overall I‘m looking for a medium output, strong lower mids and not too trebly. I have an Orville LP that’ll be used for more classic rock/hard rock tones (have an Aldrich on the way for the bridge) and I don’t buy guitars to be versatile as I‘d rather they just did 1-2 sounds REALLY fucking well instead of 3-4 that are half-assed.

Any input is appreciated!

I think part of Zakk's tone is that push into the amp. So not having that push into the amp from the pickups and Boost wont really get you close into that territory of tone/sound. Just my thoughts.

Honestly this is gonna be a tough one cause I'd hate for you to get a recommendation based on someone else's opinion on tone and it not work for you.

I know you said you're not a fan of high output pickups, but what about lowering them a bit? I my self wasnt a huge fan of EMG pickups but realy fell in love with the Duncan Blackouts AHB-1 pickups. Sounded very different tone wise, more natural and just "wider" sounding. But that was my findinds with my guitar and rig.

Cheers

I’ve got an Edwards LPC on the way and am trying to figure out what pickups I want to put in it. I’m a huge fan of Zakk’s tones on No More Tears and Ozzmosis, but am not an EMG fan, nor am I a fan of anything with a really high output. I’ve already got Fishmans in one guitar and I dig them, but not enough to put in anything else.

The BKP Miracle Man was suggested to me, but it’s hard to get an idea of how it sounds with YouTube demos because everyone uses so much fucking distortion. :ROFLMAO:

Overall I‘m looking for a medium output, strong lower mids and not too trebly. I have an Orville LP that’ll be used for more classic rock/hard rock tones (have an Aldrich on the way for the bridge) and I don’t buy guitars to be versatile as I‘d rather they just did 1-2 sounds REALLY fucking well instead of 3-4 that are half-assed.

ToneNerd Roxy

Honestly you need the recipe of pushing the SD-1 hard into a stock amp cranked. I know because I also chase the same tone but I prefer high output pickups but also enjoy the bounce and chewy goodness of low output as well.

Zakk used EMGs to hit the boost hard - think of it as early double boosting for gain and feel.

So I’d use something ceramic magnet into a clean boost hitting an SD-1 and then into a Marshall with 6550s.

I was going to say Aldrich before I read thru, lol

Duncan Distortion.
Dirty Fingers.
500T.

Oh, wait, I'm thinking of Sykes tones..🤣
He was looking for added low mids and nothing too trebly, so that kinda rules out the Duncan Distortion.

Great pickup FWIW, just not the first to come to mind when thinking 'thick, juicy girth'
DiMarzio Super Distortion is.... as is the AT-1. Medium/high output, thickness a plenty.
Maybe Duncan SH-14 Custom 5. Big low end too.

Thanks guys! This question definitely gets a lot of mixed answers!

I’m mostly all Fractal these days, aside from my separate boomer-rig that’s aimed at more classic rock/EJ/Gilmour tones that‘s a work in progress. I won’t have any issues finding something to slam the input of a Marshall model! Not trying to recreate Zakk’s exact tone, just that same vibe. The only thing I’m stealing from Zakk is the obnoxious overuse of pinch harmonics because too many isn’t enough!

I’m still undecided, but someone mentioned Elysian pickups to me and I’ve known Adam a long time via another forum, the Valkyrie’s sound like they’re in the ballpark. Thankfully, I got a little more time to figure it out.

The Orville was supposed to get here yesterday but got delayed, at least it’s out for delivery now and I can break in the New Year with a badass guitar! The Aldrich showed up yesterday, I might actually be dumb enough to attempt installing it without going my normal solderless route.

Without playing guitar first it is impossible to give some reasonable sugestions. I had few Edwards and they were nothing like real Custom, it was more LTD EC1000 style. Thinner body, poly laquer and cheaper mahagony... But good sugestions are BKP's Rebel Yell, Miracle Man, Cold Sweat, Black Dog...Duncans Custom, SNS...Gibsons 498, Dirty Fingers and milion of other pickups because You never know what will work best.
But with Fractal/modelling gear pickups aren't it so important like with tube gear at proper volume but ymmv.

Honestly for what you described the suggested BKP Black Dog seems like a great choice. It’s medium output but not weak feeling, has lower mid thickness but also sounds open enough.

Dimarzio Super D however could also be a great suggestion if you’re wrong about wanting lower output. Thick mids, not choked off and congested sounding like other Dimarzios, high output but in a way that works well when boosting into an amp that needs it like a 2204/3.

Dimarzio Super D however could also be a great suggestion if you’re wrong about wanting lower output. Thick mids, not choked off and congested sounding like other Dimarzios, high output but in a way that works well when boosting into an amp that needs it like a 2204/3.
While the Super D is indeed high output, my experience is that it doesn't always 'feel' and sound that way, compared to other high output pickups.
A Duncan Distortion definitely feels hotter for instance.

Maybe look into the Jalen Fair Warning pickup. It's around 15K but it acts more like a higher output PAF according to Jim Gaustad and PLX due to it's % offset in the winded coils. It may be the best of both worlds for you. If you don't like super hot pickups around 13k seems to be the magic numbers for PAF tightness and bright spank without the mids emphasis that comes with the overwinding process.

I really dig the old early 80's Duncan Seymourizer II which measures 12.6K and it has alot of PAF qualities yet has balls and grind like a higher output pickup. He still uses this wind today under SH-6N as the neck pickup for the Distortion pickups sets. It was one of his creations before the Duncan Custom and he kept it for alot of years into the 90's as a bridge pickup.

Back