Please school me on 70s Marshall cab

sluice

Any year?
Which speakers are more sought?
How much I should expect to pay?
What to look for?

I'm looking at an all original '72 Marshall Cab, still waiting on pics of the speakers.
But anyhow, not sure what to look for, to make sure it's not a fake/scam?

Please school me! :D

Straight-cab construction never really changed as far as I know, other than how they reenforced the very bottom around the casters. The early slant cabs have more bracing down the center of the baffle than the current cabs, but I forget when they stopped with the bracing. A '72 would have that bracing, though.

Yeah, a '72 should have the pulsonic cones which would be stamped 003 or 103 something like that. The R1C or RIC cones wouldn't have started until maybe '73 from what I remember.

I think a '72 would have plastic handles and such. I though the metal handles stopped the year earlier.

But this is all off the top of my head; hopefully it's not all completely wrong...

Looks like mine. Plastic handles and no corner guards. Unfortunately my original speakers are long gone. It’s currently loaded with GB’s on top and V30’s on the bottom and sounds killer.

FPSaBJYl.jpg

sluice":v1cyt1i2 said:
To answer my post, from my searches..

I have to look at the cone number, to see if it has 003 showing that's it's a pulsonic cone.
This is the key, contrary to the popular belief of Pre Rola VS Rola

More info here : http://www.bygonetones.com/pre-rola-explained.html

More info welcomed!

A 69 era cab looks like mine on the inside. Here's a link: http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/cabinets.html

72 won't have the triangles at the bottom of the baffle board to reinforce the cab, though, a mistake IMO. But as long as you have the large sound post like mine, you'll be ok.

Past that, yes 102 003, 102/3 and 3 numbers on the cone are what you're looking for.

Scum, I will forever credit you as the demigod of speakers. You not only know everything there is to know about speakers, but build great speakers, but also take time to help a brother. ???

Thanks a lot for your answer guys!
Scum, I have to say that my Tone guru contact that's also an amp builder, says you make the best new cab today and the best vintage speakers. This dude is the biggest tone nerd you can imagine.

Definitely looking forward to test that out, one day!

Last question, price wise, is 1350 USD overpaid for such cab: 1972 412b in very good condition with the pulsonic cones?

sluice":18qvj8e9 said:
Scum, I have to say that my Tone guru contact that's also an amp builder, says you make the best new cab today and the best vintage speakers. This dude is the biggest tone nerd you can imagine.

Last question, price wise, is 1350 USD overpaid for such cab: 1972 412b in very good condition with the pulsonic cones?

$1350 is a decent price for you. Be advised it should have the small checkerboard cloth, no plastic corner and with plastic handles. I've seen them with metal handles in 71, but not 72.

Have you got pics yet?

Scumback Speakers":2wy8a4oy said:
sluice":2wy8a4oy said:

$1350 is a decent price for you. Be advised it should have the small checkerboard cloth, no plastic corner and with plastic handles. I've seen them with metal handles in 71, but not 72.

Have you got pics yet?

I've uploaded pics here : http://imgur.com/gallery/Bm5XXb6

I've asked for more pictures, 1 of each speaker back and one of each cone number.

From his pictures, the cone number doesn't match the back, unless the 4 speakers are not original.

From his pics, the speaker shown is a 75hz G12M 25 watt greenback. But the cone number : 102-14 indicates a 55hz cone.

All make sure all other 3 cones are also pulsonics.

Are 55hz Greenbacks a bad move?
I mean if they are much more darker sounding, maybe I should just stick to my 75hz reissue...

sluice":obdgoyro said:
Scumback Speakers":obdgoyro said:
sluice":obdgoyro said:

Have you got pics yet?

I've asked for more pictures, 1 of each speaker back and one of each cone number.

From his pictures, the cone number doesn't match the back, unless the 4 speakers are not original.

From his pics, the speaker shown is a 75hz G12M 25 watt greenback. But the cone number : 102-14 indicates a 55hz cone.

I mean if they are much more darker sounding, maybe I should just stick to my 75hz reissue...

I looked at the pics, the 102-14 cone pic is of a Heritage Reissue G12H30 55hz, the other I saw is of a G12M T1221 but no cone # shown. Right now it doesn't look like you have four of the same speakers in that cab. I would wait until you get a pic of the cab with all four speakers from the back, the cone #'s, the Txxxx and date codes (T1221 and GE on that one indicate an August 1972 date code, G12M 75hz). Going to need better pics, cone #'s and pics of the frame and date codes before you pull out your wallet on this one. The cab looks decent, though! But the speakers are not original, and from what I've seen so far, not all the same.

Scumback Speakers":2mo35o4a said:
sluice":2mo35o4a said:
Scumback Speakers":2mo35o4a said:
sluice":2mo35o4a said:

Have you got pics yet?

I looked at the pics, the 102-14 cone pic is of a Heritage Reissue G12H30 55hz, the other I saw is of a G12M T1221 but no cone # shown. Right now it doesn't look like you have four of the same speakers in that cab. I would wait until you get a pic of the cab with all four speakers from the back, the cone #'s, the Txxxx and date codes (T1221 and GE on that one indicate an August 1972 date code, G12M 75hz). Going to need better pics, cone #'s and pics of the frame and date codes before you pull out your wallet on this one. The cab looks decent, though! But the speakers are not original, and from what I've seen so far, not all the same.

I thought 102-14 meant G12M25 55hz ?

Mmm, yeah all of this is starting to sound a bit sketchy. I think at this point, it would be best for me to look at it in person.

All 4x speakers have T1511 GE on on the metal frame, which should indicate G12M...right?
Definitely from a 1935 Bass Cab. I've also read that the 55hz speakers sometimes came mislabeled with 75hz stickers, maybe this is what happened here.

So, what should I see, when I thoroughly inspect the "all original" cab ?
- Number 102-14 on the cones ?
- T1511 GE on the metal part of the speaker ?

In your linked pics you can click a button that loads four more pics. At the bottom of that is a G12H30 55hz Heritage Reissue speaker with 102-14 shown on the cone, but it's not vintage, it's a 2005-2018 model speaker. Is that speaker in there as a mistake? Like I said, pics with the back panel off of the cab showing all four speakers, Txxxx codes and date codes needed, as well as pics of the 102 014, 102/14 or 4 cone numbers. There are, sadly, a lot of fakes out there.

T1511 should be a G12M 25w 16 ohm 55hz cone, but you have the 75hz T1221 label. That happens a lot, but the cone pics become important now. My 14 year old Greenback thread on the TGP forum has lots of info and pics.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... etc.67646/

Oh wow. That is my bad.. that was the wrong picture (one I sent to the guy showing him what I wanted to see!)

Here's the pic that should of been included.
Ieki1il.jpg

That cone # stamp of 102 14 looks right. But you need to verify the rest. Are you going to play this cab in person before paying for it, or is it sold with a money back return policy if it's got issues?

Scumback Speakers":360lr38h said:
That cone # stamp of 102 14 looks right. But you need to verify the rest. Are you going to play this cab in person before paying for it, or is it sold with a money back return policy if it's got issues?

This one is local. So I have the chance to play it with My Soldano SLO. :rock:

And I have the chance to thoroughly inspect the cab and speakers. So anything I should look for other the the cone and speaker numbers?

Scumback Speakers":sxlcdq2z said:
T1511 should be a G12M 25w 16 ohm 55hz cone, but you have the 75hz T1221 label. That happens a lot, but the cone pics become important now. My 14 year old Greenback thread on the TGP forum has lots of info and pics.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... etc.67646/

Like you, I’ve seen lots of anomalies with Celestion speakers. Plenty of incorrect frame stamps, etc, but cone codes seem to be the saved way to determine what the speakers is. Of course I’ve seen speakers with codes crossed off and and another stamp added. :LOL: :LOL:

sluice":1vuh87ol said:
This one is local. So I have the chance to play it with My Soldano SLO. :rock:

And I have the chance to thoroughly inspect the cab and speakers. So anything I should look for other the the cone and speaker numbers?

Well, bring your flashlight to find the cone #'s, power drill to remove the back panel, maybe a compact mirror to angle the light to see the cone #'s. T1511 55 hz G12M's have the 102 14, 102 014 or 4 cone #'s on them, usually underneath the speaker tab high up on the cone.
Past that, just play at 4-5 volume on your SLO to test it. It's only a 100w cab, and your SLO puts out way more than that past 4-5 on the volume knob.

Back