Post the guitar you've owned the longest!

TheMagicEight

Plus a little history to go with it!

My R9:

I wish I could say I've owned it longer, but I've had this since 2010 (my only guitar besides a Strat). It's my first REALLY nice guitar, and I'm keeping it indefinitely; this is the one I chose out of dozens of Les Pauls. Currently loaded with a BKP Mule neck and WCR Godwood bridge.

Attachments

• Les Paul.jpg
    Les Paul.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 4,139
I don't have a pic, but it's a Martin acoustic I've had for around 18 years. Sounds better every year that passes.

When I started high school my parents told me if I made the honor roll I could get my dream guitar, a Gibson Les Paul Custom. So freshman year at the end of the first semester, old Chubtone was sitting firmly on that honor roll and ready to do some guitar shopping. My dad took me to my favorite guitar shop and bought me a brand new, 1980, tobacco burst Les Paul Custom for $675 including the hard case.

I played that guitar every day for hours and hours and hours. I played that guitar so much, I never made the honor roll again. :D You could say I grew up on that guitar and that I went from being a crappy player to being able to play pretty well on it. I still have it, but I have probably put less than 10 hours on it since 1984. That is the year I first played a San Dimas Charvel and that changed me as to what I like in guitars to this day.

The only pic I even have of the Les Paul shows it leaning against my amp in the back corner of this pic

curtalbumcoverphotoshopcopy.jpg

Bought new in '87......It's a 1982, made in USA Epiphone Special. Swamp ash body.

5-8-09_Wizard.jpg

My first teaching gig this guitar hung on the wall for a couple years. I'd play it on breaks. Had a great sound unplugged. One day the sales guy came over and we got to talking. He said he'd take $379.00 for it with the case. So it went home with me.

It's still a great guitar!

Ed2.jpg

editpic7.jpg

My Ibanez UVbk7. Bought it new in 96' been my go to guitar ever since. Saved for 4 years to get it and spent more on it then my first 2 cars combined :LOL: :LOL: :rock:

1993 corona cali strat that i got for my 10th birthday. modded it last year to look and sound like a david gilmour strat. here's a before and after:

Attachments

• 261257_10150275756945115_2335692_n.jpg
    261257_10150275756945115_2335692_n.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 4,024
Chubtone":2ixghjdt said:
When I started high school my parents told me if I made the honor roll I could get my dream guitar, a Gibson Les Paul Custom. So freshman year at the end of the first semester, old Chubtone was sitting firmly on that honor roll and ready to do some guitar shopping. My dad took me to my favorite guitar shop and bought me a brand new, 1980, tobacco burst Les Paul Custom for $675 including the hard case.

I played that guitar every day for hours and hours and hours. I played that guitar so much, I never made the honor roll again. :D
That's a great story, thanks for sharing. :)

Do necks only count? I still have this '83 Kramer neck that I always loved, knew to hang on to it...the rest of the guitar not so much and it has long since vanished. The neck now sits on a totally different/newer body.

Guitar wise, I still have this Contemporary Strat from '86. I tossed in Duncan pickups at some point in time but otherwise it's 100% original.

8f2f53fd.png

90bda476.png

My Rickenbacker 4001. I think this was built in 1981, around the time the 4001 was being phased out for the 4003. I found it in a Pawn Shop in Lafayette Louisiana in the mid 90's for $325. It's been my main bass ever since.

Attachments

• rickenbacker.JPG
    rickenbacker.JPG
    685.5 KB · Views: 3,991
'93 MIM strat on the left. It was my first electric. I have replaced all the electronics, added a string tree, replaced the bridge saddles, replaced the nut with a bone nut (stock nut broke off), replaced the pickups a few times. Right now its my down tuned 1/2 step guitar. Its one I won't sell. I had my senior picture in HS taken with this guitar. :)

strats_02.jpg

Not the best photo in the world but this is at my shop after I installed new inlays, machine heads, pots and added a mini toggle switch for the neck pup (series/split/reverse). She's going for a refinish soon.

I always wanted a Les Paul after I saw some old photos of Eddie playing one so after HS I worked demolition all summer before college and that's all she wrote :). Three blissful years!

vrc0ig.jpg

2dchk4j.jpg

I bought this Washburn EC-29 "Stephen's Extended Cutaway" series guitar new in 1988. Exact information is hard to find, but there were 26-fret, 29-fret and 36-fret production models in four crackle finishes. The 29 and 36 fret models were only produced for two years in Japan by Kanda Shokai (whoever that is...) but were two expensive, so Washburn stopped importing them. It is thought that somewhere around 1,000 (of all colors) were produced, and this finish is the second most rare. It has a 29 fret ebony board with medium frets, Washburn-branded EMG pickups (with a 9V mid-boost system) and the Washburn 600T trem unit.

It's certainly an 80's style guitar - but I'm an 80's kind of person. :yes:

Attachments

• IMG_0853.JPG
    IMG_0853.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 3,947
  • IMG_0858.JPG
    IMG_0858.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 3,946
  • IMG_0860.JPG
    IMG_0860.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 3,953
  • IMG_0861.JPG
    IMG_0861.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,944
  • IMG_0863.JPG
    IMG_0863.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 3,945
Aristocat":nf7xz4ff said:
Not the best photo in the world but this is at my shop after I installed new inlays, machine heads, pots and added a mini toggle switch for the neck pup (series/split/reverse). She's going for a refinish soon.

I always wanted a Les Paul after I saw some old photos of Eddie playing one so after HS I worked demolition all summer before college and that's all she wrote :). Three blissful years!

vrc0ig.jpg

2dchk4j.jpg

why the need for new inlays? does it only have 1 knob?

DET1973":baboje5w said:
Aristocat":baboje5w said:

vrc0ig.jpg

2dchk4j.jpg

why the need for new inlays? does it only have 1 knob?

It started life as Les Paul Classic and I hated everything about the guitar (pickups, pots, machine heads and especially those urinal cake yellow inlays) but the wood was so massive and it resonated perfectly. So I decided to change the inlays out to fake M.O.P to give it a different look. I threw a WCR Godwood in the bridge and soldered a cover on my Sheptone P.A.F (got it for free after a rewire for a customer!) and threw it in the neck to see if I liked the look while I was finishing it at work. Only the Godwood was wired up so I could see how the board felt after doing the inlay swap and I was also experimenting with pot values and caps. I didn't want to do a refret so I carefully flushed the inlays using a razor blade and then did a final sand starting with 1000 grit and then 2000 which is a pain in the ass :). A guitar has always been a tool and project to me so I'll hack a 5,000 Gibby like it's going out of style if I'm in the mood haha.

Here's a work in progress shot

123b80j.jpg

IndyWS6":c7dyadmq said:
I bought this Washburn EC-29 "Stephen's Extended Cutaway" series guitar new in 1988. Exact information is hard to find, but there were 26-fret, 29-fret and 36-fret production models in four crackle finishes. The 29 and 36 fret models were only produced for two years in Japan by Kanda Shokai (whoever that is...) but were two expensive, so Washburn stopped importing them. It is thought that somewhere around 1,000 (of all colors) were produced, and this finish is the second most rare. It has a 29 fret ebony board with medium frets, Washburn-branded EMG pickups (with a 9V mid-boost system) and the Washburn 600T trem unit.

Cool guitar. Curious if you find the extra frets useful?

blackba":3n2hegei said:
IndyWS6":3n2hegei said:

Cool guitar. Curious if you find the extra frets useful?
Me, personally? No. I'll jump up there once in a while to go an octave above my inconsequential noodling, but I'm just a half-assed rhythm guitar player... :yes:

Back