Prices of Mint Condition Used American Standard Strat 2009

faisalbaig

A friend of mine is willing to sell his American Standard Strat (Black, Maple fretboard, 2009 ). It is in flawless condition with the SKB case.
He bought it brand new from Steve's Music in Canada.

He is expecting to fetch US$1800 for it from Canada or the US as he feels that Strats appreciate in value.

I am of a different opinion from experience in instrument sales abroad that new strats do not appreciate like that. If anything, they are cheaper on the used market even in mint condition.

I am willing to pay him US$1400 as i think that is a fair price and locally its a good deal for both of us.
I do not not intend to wrong him in any way so i thought i would ask her and confirm.

If he doesn't sell to me, he would try to sell in Canada or the US.
What is the realistic scenario ?

Thanks
Faisal

faisalbaig":28qrpz0t said:
A friend of mine is willing to sell his American Standard Strat (Black, Maple fretboard, 2009 ). It is in flawless condition with the SKB case.
He bought it brand new from Steve's Music in Canada.

He is expecting to fetch US$1800 for it from Canada or the US as he feels that Strats appreciate in value.

I am of a different opinion from experience in instrument sales abroad that new strats do not appreciate like that. If anything, they are cheaper on the used market even in mint condition.

I am willing to pay him US$1400 as i think that is a fair price and locally its a good deal for both of us.
I do not not intend to wrong him in any way so i thought i would ask her and confirm.

If he doesn't sell to me, he would try to sell in Canada or the US.
What is the realistic scenario ?

Thanks
Faisal

I bought a year ago an American Standard Strat 1 550$ Can here in QC. Actualy you can find brand new one in a store around this price. I would never pay more than a new one a used one so young. 1 800$ US!!!! My god I just can't figure out what could make it take so much value! If you take a look on Ebay, there are new one around 1250$ US and for a used one around 2010 they ask 800 $- 1100 $. For my part I would not pay more than 1000$.

I'm on Strat Talk, and I usually see any American Standard going for 8-900 USD. That seems to be the average price for any of them from the 80's til now. I could be wrong, but that's what I've noticed.

I have an 09 Deluxe, absolutely mint. I tried selling it last year for $900 and no sale. I see Standards 700-900.

Yep to above,.... I Had a '09 American Deluxe, Quilted Maple top, ebony board, s-1, the hardshell leather(ish) case, case candy etc...NICE guitar. Bought it brand new for 1500 in 09...sold it just a few months ago, for 1500.

Your friend is delusional if he expects anywhere close to $1,800. IMO you'd be overpaying on anything over $750. I sold a 2009 American Standard Strat about 2 months ago for $600 after getting no offers on my original asking price of $700.

Guitars don't really appreciate until a significant amount of time has passed from their manufacture date, and even then its getting rare for a "modern" guitar to appreciate in value.

Another Canuck here... Your buddy is out to lunch. For one. Steve's over prices on a lot of stuff as do most canadian retailers, and two, go on kijiji and if you look over a few weeks you will find a good condition American STRAT for anywhere from 750-1000 because people are motivated to sell. He would Prob be better off selling in the USA for 950 given our exchange rate now... Then it might be worth 1400...canadian! Also don't forget just because they may sell for 700 in the USA, doesn't mean he should play the exchange currency game here. On the used market, there is no exchange rate. People know a ballpark figure of what they should ask and buyers know what they will buy for. Your buddy sounds like one of those guys who posts an add for a mint condition boss blues driver for 115$. Lol

Back