Problems with silent recording with the captor x

danishguy

Hi everybody. I bought the captor x for silent recording. It's works fine as a attenuator with the cabinet connected, but as soon as soon as I use the silent recording setting with only the "speaker in" connected (the second setup in the manual), there comes no sound in the headphone or in the audio interface. I have a Hot Rod deluxe 40 watt combo. Is there something wrong with my captor x or does it not work with Hot Rod deluxe? Thanks for your help.

So when you're using it as an attenuator, you've obviously placed it in between the OT section of the combo, and the combo's speaker jack, yes? This is the only way for it to work as an attenuator so I'm guessing the answer is yes.

If you're not getting sound out of the Captor X with it connected to the speaker out of the OT of the HotRod Deluxe (and NO speaker leading back out to the combo's cone), two things:
1) have you tried the output signal on the front panel?
2) if using an audio-interface, have you moved your settings to be headphone-out only on the interface?

Quick litmus test - disconnect the TRS/XLR from the Captor X to your audio-interface, and just connect headphones directly into the front panel of the Captor X - make sure the speaker from the OT section of the amp is FULLY plugged into the socket of the Captor X - sometimes it's only a tip in and it messes with the signal; then plug headphone direct in front of Captor X, use low amp volume to start, and bring the headphone output signal up slowly while playing - it's gotta work!!

Peace

So when you're using it as an attenuator, you've obviously placed it in between the OT section of the combo, and the combo's speaker jack, yes? This is the only way for it to work as an attenuator so I'm guessing the answer is yes.

If you're not getting sound out of the Captor X with it connected to the speaker out of the OT of the HotRod Deluxe (and NO speaker leading back out to the combo's cone), two things:
1) have you tried the output signal on the front panel?
2) if using an audio-interface, have you moved your settings to be headphone-out only on the interface?

Quick litmus test - disconnect the TRS/XLR from the Captor X to your audio-interface, and just connect headphones directly into the front panel of the Captor X - make sure the speaker from the OT section of the amp is FULLY plugged into the socket of the Captor X - sometimes it's only a tip in and it messes with the signal; then plug headphone direct in front of Captor X, use low amp volume to start, and bring the headphone output signal up slowly while playing - it's gotta work!!

Peace
Hi Ventura, Thanks for detailed answer, really appreciated. I tried the quick litmus test, but as soon a I pull the speaker out cable out on the Captor x, the sound disappears completely in the headphones out of the captor x. I have only the headphones connected, no xlr. The app also shows no incoming sound either. It works fine again when I plug the speaker out cable back again, sounds great in the headphones, but of course it’s not silent recording and that’s the main reason for me buying the device. Maybe there is a fault in the device or am I missing something? Thanks for your help.

Hmm, maybe you can try to reboot the device by pressing the pushbutton between OUT LEVEL and VOICING knobs. There is a small hole, and use a toothpick or any other small pin stuff to try it. If it doesn't work, then try to do a factory reset via Torpedo Remote software on your computer.

Was going to suggest either doing a firmware update, factory reset to default or hard reset - the first two are done with the unit hooked up via USB to your computer.

The fact the headphone out works fine when a speaker is also attached means the signal's there; but seems the headphone circuit opens when you remove the cabinet out cord; I'd be interested to know if you still get sound from your headphones if you have a speaker cable plugged into the Captor X, but not attached to a load - just to see if it's hard-circuit related with the TS cord or not (long shot, but throwing everything I have out there).

And quick question - has this always been the case or did it work "fine" before and this is a new problem?
Thanks

Was going to suggest either doing a firmware update, factory reset to default or hard reset - the first two are done with the unit hooked up via USB to your computer.

The fact the headphone out works fine when a speaker is also attached means the signal's there; but seems the headphone circuit opens when you remove the cabinet out cord; I'd be interested to know if you still get sound from your headphones if you have a speaker cable plugged into the Captor X, but not attached to a load - just to see if it's hard-circuit related with the TS cord or not (long shot, but throwing everything I have out there).

And quick question - has this always been the case or did it work "fine" before and this is a new problem?
Thanks
Hi Ventura and BZGS, thanks for the effort, I got the Captor X for christmas, so it's brand new unit,, but it only works as an attenuator. I tried a hard reset, firmware update and a factory reset, nothing changes a soon as I unplug the speaker out. There is nothing in the headphones or the xlr out. I think I have to contact two notes about the problem.

Hi Ventura and BZGS, thanks for the effort, I got the Captor X for christmas, so it's brand new unit,, but it only works as an attenuator. I tried a hard reset, firmware update and a factory reset, nothing changes a soon as I unplug the speaker out. There is nothing in the headphones or the xlr out. I think I have to contact two notes about the problem.

My pleasure, and I just got my unit a few days ago. I also encountered a few problems with it. No, actually, them, since I have 2 units on hand. One is 16 Ohm, and the other one is 8 Ohm. However, both of them show the same problems. I contact the support team, but they thought the problem related to a hardware issue since no one except me reported the same problem. Well, if so, the quality control is so bad. Think about it, what is the chance that I happened to get two brand new units with the same problem? If the failure rate is 1%, then it is 0.01% that both units have the same problem at the same time. Anyway, they asked me to get a new one as a replacement and I already did, and I will keep testing it when I get the new one. If the same problem were still there, I hope they would really do something to fix it. If they don't have any other users report the same problem, I may consider uploading a Youtube video and try my best to gather other users' attention and see how many actually have the issue and just not noticed it or chose to ignore it.

Attached is my thread:

https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/captor-x-disconnected-and-reconnected-randomly.215050/

Just double-check and see if you have the same problem. You can run the program on your computer and just leave it there and don't close it. Give it a long time run, say 4-5 hours, or a whole day, and see if it happens.

Hello @danishguy

can you give me the reference of the ticket number on the Two notes helpdesk please? If you have not submitted a ticket yet, please submit one and include the logfile of the Torpedo REmote from your computer. Thank you.

Hello @BZGS

Thank you for your feedback. We are currently working on your issue which is indeed quite singular for the moment. Hopefully we will have a dedicated fix for you very soon.

I everybody, Thanks for the great help. I Got support. It was me connecting the captor x the wrong way. It’s now connected the right way and works. I tried to connect it like that also in first place, but it didn’t work at that time. I’m not sure why, but maybe the other things helped. The bottom line is, that Captor x now works for silent recording and sounds ?? .

Back