Question for the low wattage amp guys here about playing those things

I have done gigs with 5 watt amps. Watts are not dB's. It isn't a measurement of how loud something is.
Exactly but it depends on the situation. Normally I play pretty loud music with drummers who are trying to hit the floor through their drums. I've found that less than 50 Watts is challenging for keeping up and 100 is preferable.

On the other hand I play bass in another band where one guitarist has a 40 W amp and the other has a 15 W amp and I have a 300W amp and we can all balance out ok.

That's the thing too. You want clean, tight, crushing metal thump on the chugs at loud band volumes? Not going to get it from most lunchbox amps.

I know the low-end is supposed to be the bassist's job, but there's no reason why us guitarists can't have a little fun as well.

im really curious about those smaller bogners, esp the atma. How is the headroom?
The Atma is easily one of the best amps Bogner has ever built.....at 18 watts the headroom is decent, not keeping up with slamming metal drummer decent, but loud enough to play any small club. First EL84 driven amp I ever played that changed my mind about what that tube in the right circuit is capable of. I had one for a couple of years, sold it a year ago when I got my 3534. I would buy another one today if a screaming deal popped up.

This is an accurate demo of the amp:

The Atma is easily one of the best amps Bogner has ever built.....at 18 watts the headroom is decent, not keeping up with slamming metal drummer decent, but loud enough to play any small club. First EL84 driven amp I ever played that changed my mind about what that tube in the right circuit is capable of. I had one for a couple of years, sold it a year ago when I got my 3534. I would buy another one today if a screaming deal popped up.

This is an accurate demo of the amp:

Very cool, this is the exact info I was looking for. Thanks man!

I saw that a few days ago, that's +/- $100 in the going rate range. I sold my metal head shell version for $930 cash locally...a screaming deal would be same amp in the mini Helios head shell for between $900 - 1000 shipped. That would get my attention quick, the wood head shell versions are typically $200 - 300 more because of the head shell. I actually had looked into getting the grey grill on mine powder coated black.

The absolute sexiest of the Atma's are the all black versions done for the Japanese market (Helios style head shell with black chassis) Not sure why this isnt just the standard ???? I would pay the premium price for one of those

Black Atma.jpeg

Very cool, this is the exact info I was looking for. Thanks man!
It's a great amp, for sure. The 3534 is pretty frickin badass too though....I love mine. When its running near wide open it starts to do some of the things the Wizard does in terms of lack of compression but its waaaaaay loud....I couldn't run it at that volume in any of the clubs we play round here. Maybe at an outdoor gig.

Back