Question for the low wattage amp guys here about playing those things

12a..7 in push pull power section. OK. interesting.

Yeah. No, I get that. I guess I was thinking of my 1w Blackheart. There is no tube power section unless they are using a 12ax7 as a power tube. I was thinking it would be all solid state power so it wouldn't have occurred to me to use a 1 watt amp as a power section.

They do use 12XX7 variants as the power tube for 1 watt toob maps

6505MH but it stays on the 20W setting.

Unlike my Marshall’s or Bogner, when I turn it up I die a little inside. It’s gets louder but thinner, and just doesn’t begin to open up like the big iron stuff.

I have one of those Joyo bantamps, that I let my kid play on. It's the engl copy, the firebrand or whatever.

It sounds fine at bedroom volumes through a 4x12 but all of those youtube shills like glenn fricker who say it can hang with a drummer unmiced are lying their asses off.

EDIT: I'm fucking serious, glenn and everyone is lying. All of you RTers who actually play in bands will know that a legitimate drummer in a punk or metal band is hitting 105 to 110 db snare rim shots consistently. The Joyo cant remotely keep up. All those fuckers are lying when they say it can keep up with a band.

Last edited:
I had a Killer And and a Little Giant. I did the Bit Mo' mods to both and used the line out from the KA to run it into that LG. That was pretty epic sounding.

jchrisf-
Mine is similar to that Micro 800 but there are a few different things. His design is cool. Probably better than mine. I have a self-split output tube. He was able to tune down the phase inverter enough for the 12A_7 output tube.

Yeah. No F_n way a 1-5W can hang with a drummer. 20W minimum and that's not enough with a hard hitter.

They do use the 12A_7 as the power section. They are dual triodes so one tube can be used in push pull. Should be under 300V B+ though.

I hate EL84’s.
Maybe I just haven’t had the ‘right’ amp, but everything I’ve ever had or tried with EL84’s, I’ve hated.
I prefer a 100W amp with a good master vol or attenuator EVEN at the lower volume levels.
Just my opinion, of course.

I hate EL84’s.
Maybe I just haven’t had the ‘right’ amp, but everything I’ve ever had or tried with EL84’s, I’ve hated.
I prefer a 100W amp with a good master vol or attenuator EVEN at the lower volume levels.
The only el84 amp I had that "had it" (for metal, not talking classic tones) was the .22+...but I played Thumps JJ Jr a couple weeks ago and that amp has some real balls!

The only el84 amp I had that "had it" (for metal, not talking classic tones) was the .22+...but I played Thumps JJ Jr a couple weeks ago and that amp has some real balls!
Wow, very cool bro.
I guess Dave has the formula down👍
How’s Chris?
He’s a good guy.

Those EL84 .22+ were early models and later switched to 6L6. The EL84 ones get down, they’re super heavy sounding and gainy/aggressive as fuck.

jchrisf-
Mine is similar to that Micro 800 but there are a few different things. His design is cool. Probably better than mine. I have a self-split output tube. He was able to tune down the phase inverter enough for the 12A_7 output tube.

Yeah. No F_n way a 1-5W can hang with a drummer. 20W minimum and that's not enough with a hard hitter.
Disagree but obviously depends on the drummer. Did it with 5 watts and kept up. But we don’t play at insane volumes either so ymmv.

Disagree but obviously depends on the drummer. Did it with 5 watts and kept up. But we don’t play at insane volumes either so ymmv.
On 5 watts the clean wasn’t loud enough and didn’t have the headroom. At 18 watts no problem at all.

Yeah the type of music I play is insanely loud generally, so I was curious.

I don't think any 15-20 watt amp I've played has really kept up with a metal or punk drummer hitting 105db rim shots on the snare - if the atma really could that'd be one hell of a party trick.

Yeah the type of music I play is insanely loud generally, so I was curious.

I don't think any 15-20 watt amp I've played has really kept up with a metal or punk drummer hitting 105db rim shots on the snare - if the atma really could that'd be one hell of a party trick.
Damn that’s a hard hitter! If I cranked my Atma I wouldn’t be asked back to the bars I play.

I have one of those Joyo bantamps, that I let my kid play on. It's the engl copy, the firebrand or whatever.

It sounds fine at bedroom volumes through a 4x12 but all of those youtube shills like glenn fricker who say it can hang with a drummer unmiced are lying their asses off.

EDIT: I'm fucking serious, glenn and everyone is lying. All of you RTers who actually play in bands will know that a legitimate drummer in a punk or metal band is hitting 105 to 110 db snare rim shots consistently. The Joyo cant remotely keep up. All those fuckers are lying when they say it can keep up with a
I hate EL84’s.
I like EL84’s but agree nothing sounds as good as the big bottles. Def a huge difference to my ears!

Back